“Best trip ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Best trip ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I wanted a romantic trip where we would be waited on hand and foot. This resort exceeded our expectations. We did some research and finally went to Liberty Travel and our agent recommended this resort. We booked a junior ocen view in the Excellence Club and they upgraded us to a junior suite.The setting, food and attention to detail was "excellent". They couldn't do enough for us. We also took a tour with the hotels newest tour company Seasons Tours to Tulum which was the best. We were 5 people with the most wonderful guide who was extremely knowledgable. I would highly recommend this tour. We will definately return to this property and would certainly visit some of the other Excellence properties.

Room Tip: I would advise the upgrade to the Excellence Club and a room with a swim up. The terraces have hot t...
1 Thank Judith C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,469)
  • Korean first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

we just returned from our second year in a row at the Excellence and judging by the other people that we recognized from last year, they must enjoy it as much as we do.
Great beaches, beautiful hotel, many good restaurants to choose from....but I think they excel in service. I can't imagine that it is easy meeting the needs of tourists 24/7...but everyone from Rosalia Maca (wonderful guest services mgr) to the staff that clean the rooms, tend to the gardens, clean the pools, are always friendly.
staying at a gorgeous hotel and feeling welcome there can't be beat!!
Would go again for a third year.

3 Thank Patricia364
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We (2 friends and I) were at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in Feb for 5 nights. The resort exceeded my expectations and was head and shoulders above the all-inclusives I have stayed at in the DR. It was mostly couples 30+, but there were quite a few large groups of friends, as well. We did not stay in the Club part of the resorts, but we don't think we missed much. We did have to hit the beach early to get a shade hut, but there were plenty of chairs available at the many, many pools and on the beach.
Food was excellent. We dined a the Italian, Mexican and Grill restaurants, as well as the beach BBQ's for lunch. I would recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go back. The only drawback was a slightly uncomfortable bed and cheap pillows. If the hotel upgraded the bedding, it would be perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RG_from_CT
Atlanta, U.S.A.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

There is very little that we can add to the superlatives that this resort has garnered from other readers. We traveled on an extended weekend with two other couples. I would only add the following:

Service is beyond reproach. From the moment we arrived until we (reluctantly) departed, we were looked after in a warm, friendly manner that showed concern for whatever need we had. One of many examples: We asked for a Sambuco Black from the Martini Bar. The bartender said, "I'm very sorry, I don't have that here. Could you please wait just a moment?" He rushed out to another bar, found the Sambuco and returned. That's exceptional service.

Restaurants are exceptional in their food service, selection, presentation and taste. Great atmosphere, wonderful variety. We tried the Indian, French (our favorite), the Grill, the Buffet, and more and we were never disappointed.

The accommodations are excellent; well layed-out, clean and very comfortable. We were fortunate enough to have a ground floor "swim out" along the back of the resort next to a pool encircling the spa. Beautiful. Also, the spa itself is well worth it for the experience - I can highly recommend the aqua therapy session - which is very invigorating yet relaxing. One note here: Building 3 backs up to a water treatment facility. While there is a faint smell coming from this when walking to the room, we never noticed any in the room.

The shows, if you enjoy those type of things, are a notch above some of the others we've been to at other all-inclusive resorts. We particularly enjoyed the "fire dancers" on the beach, which was presented along with an on-beach dining experience.

Of course, you go to a beach resort for sand, pools and sun. The Excellence does not disappoint. Wide, white sand beaches that is well-patrolled to handle the ever-present seaweed. Great pools with very good pool-side and beach-side service.

We look forward to returning to the excellent Excellence!

4 Thank ATL2World
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Excellence Rivera Cancun in February. We were really looking forward to this trip because it was our 4th stay with Excellence but our 1st to this resort. We were anxious to see how it compared to the Playa Mujeres and Punta Cana resorts. We booked our trip (an ocean-view suite) directly thru the Excellence website. A week prior to our arrival at the hotel, I sent an e-mail to the concierge requesting a room on the highest possible floor. I received an immediate response that they would make a note of my request in the system.

Our first impression upon arriving was this resort ranked right up there with Excellence Playa Mujeres. It was beautiful! We arrived around 3:30 pm and check in was a breeze. We were showed to our room by a bellman. Upon arriving to our room #6214, I opened the curtains on the sliding door. Much to my disappointment, I didn’t see the ocean (as I had paid for) but did see 2 palm trees. I told the bellman this room was unacceptable since I paid for an ocean-view and all I could see was palm trees. He agreed and phoned the front desk on my behalf. After a brief conversation, he handed me the phone. The first comment the front desk staff person said to me was “you didn’t book an ocean front room, you booked an ocean view”. I told her I wanted her to come to my room immediately and tell me how I could see the ocean from this room. Long story and a heated conversation later, she sent guest relations manager, Rosalia, to my room. She agreed that I didn’t have an ocean view. However, the hotel was completely sold out and she was unable at that time to move us to a different room. She indicated she could move us on Saturday to a different ocean view room. She offered us a complimentary couples massage, made arrangements for us to have dinner at the time of our choice at Chez Isabelle and had asked the ground keepers to remove some branches from the trees. Since we really had no choice, we agreed to stay in the room until Saturday. When Saturday came, we packed our stuff, the bellman picked up our bags and at 4:00 pm I was given the key to our new room (6331) which had a spectacular view of the ocean. I was also given a certificate valid for a couples massage to use at the spa. Things didn’t start out great but we were happy that the promises that were made to us were followed through with and Rosalia was very professional and did her best to correct the situation.

The rooms are nice. Both rooms had a double sink, stocked mini fridge, sitting area and nice big shower. Yes, the beds are hard and from our experience the same as other resorts we have stayed at in Mexico.

Aside from the room snafu, we had a great vacation and didn’t let that jade our judgment of the resort. The food was very good especially lunch at the Lobster House and dinner at the Italian restaurant. The breakfast at the buffet is typical and gets old after a few days. We also enjoyed the variety of beers as well as the usual tropical drinks. Every staff person we encountered was so nice and beyond accommodating. We usually ate dinner late and didn’t have much of a wait for any of the restaurants we wanted to try.

The beach is beautiful! We walked for what seemed like miles just about every day. There are other resorts nearby so people are constantly walking up and down the beach. There were a few locals selling their wares but a polite “no thank-you” and they were on their way. The “saving chairs” game is in full swing. Crazy to me but whatever, I don’t let that or the pool float hoarders, which were numerous, bother me. We always found 2 beach chairs & a table each day we went to the beach (later in the morning) and if we needed shade, we moved the chairs to a shady area. Late every afternoon, we moved to the pool and always found chairs as well as pool floats when we wanted them.

We didn’t see much of the nightly entertainment. Mainly, because we ate dinner late and then enjoyed after dinner drinks at the Martini Bar.

The spa is definitely worth experiencing. I had massages at Excellence Punta Cana and Playa Mujeres and would say this spa beats the others. The almost hour long hydro therapy session prior to our treatment outstanding, so relaxing! The massage was also very relaxing. My husband enjoyed his as well. After our massage was over, they took us to the waiting area, gave us a glass of champagne & chocolate covered strawberries. We were able to sit, enjoy our champagne and strawberries for as long as we wanted. I thought that was a nice touch!

The fitness center is one of the nicest we have seen at any resort we have stayed at. The cardio machines and variety of equipment was impressive.

All in all, we had a great trip. The resort is a short distance from the airport, which makes it nice after a 3 ½ hour flight. Given that, we will consider this resort again for a 5 night stay.

Room Tip: If you book an oceanview room, ask for a room on the 4th floor of the building. Note: the roooms ar...
10 Thank luv2travel074
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

If you're looking for a special place to get away together or you just want to be pampered, feel welcome, enjoy great food, and relax in the arms of paradise, upgrade to the Excellence Club at this resort. From the moment you arrive, you are treated to all the extras. On check-in at the Club Room, you will be welcomed by staff that really know how to provide customer service. The Club Room is also a great place to have morning coffee, drinks or a light lunch, or just a snack. Attentive staff at the Excellence Club pool and beach give you first class service while catering to your needs in this quiet relaxed setting, It's like your own little resort within a resort. The warm breeze, smiling and friendly staff, well-appointed rooms, and, if you want it, evening entertainment make this resort 5 star all the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room. There are elevators and the humidity seems to be lower while the views are...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bathedinsunshine
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I spent 1 week at Excellence Riviera - February 25 - March 3, 2012 - Room #7106

The resort is very clean, the food is very delicious, the variety of alcholo will please evryone, the beach as they have already mentioned is like white sugar!

But the most important feature of this fine establishment is the service you recieve from everyone! But to mention someone in particular who exceeded all of our expectations was Silverio Choch (Bar Manager), he checked up on us at 3 times a day, asked us what are plans were and suggested some great things to try. It was my birthday during the trip and he made sure that one of the dinners our table had rose pedals, and during the day he made us some really special drinks from an entire Pineapple. Thank You Silverio! We also had great service from Samuel Sepeda and Oscar (dont know his last name) but he was one of the bartenders.

Would I recomend Excellence Riviera? YES!

Room Tip: Ask for more pillows, and if the bed is to hard ask for another blanket. Building #7 is the closest...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,522 reviews
0.3 km away
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!