“Best All Inclusive Resort ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best All Inclusive Resort ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

This resort is hands down THE best all around! The service was impeccable, the place was immaculate, the grounds beautiful, I can't say enough. I especially enjoyed our arrival...cool hand towel, cold champagne, personalized welcome. We felt so special, like celebs or something. Our room was huge and facing the wrap around pool. The shower was big enough for 5 people, huge bed...everything was awesome. If you enjoy spas you MUST visit their onside spa....GORGEOUS! We had a couples hydro therapy session and then I stayed for an hour long massage...oh my gosh!

Food was great at all the restaurants! The beach party was especially fun. I can't wait to go back! If your on the fence....don't be...GO! Book this resort!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ShironD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,474)
  • Korean first
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Pretty top notch place. I've been to Serects Maroma and Silversands and Valentin Imperia Maya. They were all fantastic and very different. As with any of these all-inclusives, don't expect to check in before 3PM, and don't complain about it. Bring your beach wear in a backpack, and change in a hospitality room (Secrets), or the restroom, go have lunch and a couple of drinks and get into vacation mode. Not everything will be perfect, remember you are in a foreign country. That being said, I thought the place was great,fairly large property when compared to the Secrets resorts.

Grounds: Beautiful, lush, tropical, well maintained. The grass in front of the 1st floor "swim out" rooms was a little beat up and sparse.

Beach: The sand was AMAZING, very fine, white sand, wide beach, can walk forever (about an hour or so walk to the town of Puerto Morelos. Water was ok, I'm not much of a swimmer, so was ok for me. There are plenty of Palapas, and there is drink service. There is also a grill on the beach to have lunch. Different menu each day.

Pools:Excellence does not have traditional swimming pools, but rather several "lazy rivers" that wind through the various buildings. The main one, which has a swim up bar is the busiest. A couple of them are heated, most are not, but if it is hot, you get used to the water pretty fast. I think most, if not all of them have a bar and drink service The most irritating thing about pools with floaties are the dumb a@@es that feel they need to hoard them next to their chairs. Really, how long can someone stay in the pool? Although the resort specifically says "no reserving floats" MANY people still do it. I actually had someone yell at me for taking "their float". One freeway salute later I was off on "my" float....lol. I know it is probably difficult for the resort to enforce, but they really need to do something.

Rooms: The rooms are large and pretty nice. I must say, the bed for me was too hard and the bed linens could have been better for this class of resort. I requested a king bed on the top floor and was accommodated. Building 1 is the closest to restaurants, and other activities. We were in Building 5, which overlooked the massive spa that sits in the middle of several buildings. Really enjoyed the view. No issues with maid service, room was clean and restocked daily. Firdge has a few snacks, beers, soda, and water. As if there is not enough alcohol at the countless bars, the room also came with full bottles of rum, vodka, gin, tequila. Not top shelf, but hey....

Bars: Not even sure we found all of them! Some are more popular, but there is no shortage of pretty top shelf booze. I've seen complaints about drinks being weak...really? If the word "double" is in your vocabulary, the drink will not be weak. Martini bar is the main bar and stays open until 1AM. Very upscale feel, great bartenders. All the bartenders were very nice, friendly and provide good service. If you want top shelf drinks, you need to ask for a specific brand, they usually poor well booze.

Food: Really good. I can't say we had a bad meal. Favorites were probably Toscana, Basmati, Agave. The Indian food was surprisingly good for anywhere, let alone Mexico. French and Lobster House were decent, Steak House was also good. Least favorite was Spice. The Benihana style cooking was ok, food lacked taste and meat was a bit overcooked. The 1001 Arabian Nights was on food and entertainment on the beach. The food was awesome and we were front row for the fire show. We also did the Mexican fiesta, which we have skipped on our other trip, just not our thing. This one was really fun and the food was crazy good! There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch that you can pretty much find anything you want, really. Breakfast: in addition to the hundreds of self serve stuff, they will make you fresh omelets, eggs or crepes. Lunch: Same idea as breakfast, only lunch items, literally hundres of items, and they will grill up fresh chicken, pork chop, tuna, whatever you want. They also serve fresh wood oven pizza by the pool, and there is a guy that makes crepes in the afternoon near one of the bars.

Staff: Everyone, and I mean everyone we came in contact with was friendly. Every worker you pass will say hello, and how are you. The service was excellent everywhere we went.

Entertainment: The entertainment staff is really subdued at this resort; not a bad thing, just how it is here. The shows were surprisingly good and were put on by professionals. Other resorts I've been to, the shows were more of a joke and pretty cheesy.

Overall: I would definitely go back to this resort.

Room Tip: As the building numbers increase, they are farther away from lobby restaurants. I personally did no...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank Ron P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Overall we had a great stay and would go back.

The best way I can describe it is that nothing irritated us.
The rooms were as described (we stayed in a ground floor swim up suite) it was nice having our own hammock and lounge chairs.
There were enough pool and beach chairs/towels for everyone plus some (which wasn't the case at other places we've stayed).
The food was good to excellent and we didn't have to wait long most nights to get in (earlier is a bit better). Room service and minibar is included so we ate breakfast most days in our room. Evening meals require you to dress up a bit so bring longpants and a shirt (men) and shoes other than flip flops...
They accommodated all requests and the service was very responsive bordering on aggressive but no complaints.
We went for massages at the spa which were great as was the hydrotherapy pool (go an hour early for your appointment to take full advantage)
No surprises on the bill
The location is less than 1/2 hour from the airport and the transfers were also hassle free.
This well run resort resulted in us having a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation .

Here's a couple of 'nits' that could be better:
1. -the swimming pools were uncomfortably cold (think refrigerated water that takes more than a few minutes to get used to) ...fortunately the sea was warmer
2. The beds aren't great - but they're not terrible either

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank Cguu
Everywhere USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

This resort deserves 10 Stars! We travel a lot and although we don't take service for granted, we expect quality service, especially when we pay for a 5 star stay. However! This place was so over the top, we were in constant awe! The food in every one of the 10 restaurants (2 daytime only and 8 for the evenings) was absolutely exceptional. The room service was fabulous. The waite staff and the bar staff were phenominal. The decorations throughout the resort were incredible. The shows were fantastic. The bands were marvelous. The only minor complaint we could possibly make was that occasionally the bars would run out of glasses and would serve you drinks in plastic. Shame on them, but if you even frowned slightly, they would immediately run and wash glasses and there you have it!

Of especially important note - we were interested in the intro to Scuba offered. When we went to the outdoor office manned by Aqua Magic staff Roberto & Joseph, Roberto was quick to mention that we could pay a small fee more and add in a day trip to Cozumel with 2 additional dives. He explained it and said that if after we did the training and the first dive on the Puerto Morelos reef (part of the National Park) in front of the hotel, we could elect to snorkel on the day trip instead of dive or just cancel. They waited to schedule our Cozumel day trip until we made had finished the 1st dive. This advice led us to one of the most enjoyable experiences of our lives!!! All 3 dives were fabulous! I'll do a separate review of that excursion. Mostly I want to mention here that Roberto's recommendation and his training were absolutely fabulous! I am running out of superlatives to use for this vacation!

Also, the help & support of the Olympus Tour company was great! They picked us up from the airport, helped us schedule tours to enjoy our time there, and returned us to the airport in professional fashion.

We had scheduled this 11 night stay under the Anniversary incentive and were treated to extra decorations in the room, superior service, a special champagne breakfast in the room, and a very very special anniversary dinner in the restaurant of our choice, which after trying them all, we used Spice at one of the tappenyaki rooms. This really made this vacation special and we were very appreciative. We actually enjoyed 2 anniversary dinners because the Basmati restaurant placed us at an anniversary table one evening just because they happened to notice on the list that we were listed at having an anniversary! Wow!

One thing I loved about this resort was that you didn't have to wear the silly bracelet! The bars just served you with no question and when you checked in at the restaurants, they looked up your room and then called you by name for your seating. The waiters all called you by name and they would even remember you many times without looking at the list! It was really incredible service. And the staff was always always always happy & pleasant & friendly.

Another thing that we found unparelleled was their enjoyment in serving you drinks. At other all-inclusive functions, we found that they were rather chincy with their provisions. This resort on the other hand bent over backwards to ensure that you had each & every opportunity to indulge yourself! They had a very well stocked in room mini bar. They had lots of waite staff that searched you out to ask if you needed anything. They offered a daily specialty drink that we took advantage of on most days and it was yummy yummy! Not that they were pushing alcohol, they had many non alcoholic options also.

The non-motorized water equipment was wonderful. Kayaks & Hobiecats galore. Snorkeling equipment was provided, but seaweed just out from the beach did not make it very comfortable.

The Barcelona buffet breakfast & lunch had more variety than anyplace we have ever encountered. Just totally incredible.

Bottom line is that if you are considering an all-inclusive vacation and have the opportunity to visit the Mayan Riviera - MAKE THIS YOUR CHOICE WITHOUT HESITATION!

Room Tip: The rooms (other than a few specialty rooms) are all the same. Beautiful suites with balcony. They...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank pshurd
Chepstow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We went to the Excellence on the recommendation of family who had been twice. We were not disappointed. The hotel grounds and facilities are attractive and very well maintained.
The food is plentiful and of good quality. The key to the Excellence product though is the quality of the service delivered by the staff. They were always helpful and pleasant to deal with.
It would be difficult to find any downside.A couple of times the dinner service was perhaps a little slow but that really is about it!
The guest service Manager, Marianna was very kind and organised a special celebratory meal for my wife's birthday.
We went on two trips - Chichen Itza and Xel Ha- Both very good days out, although the tour guide on the Chichen Itza trip, while very knowledgeable did rather gear the trip around opportunities for the tour to buy souvenirs. which was rather tiresome-
All in all though- an excellent holiday and we shall Definitely return

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We went to this Hotel on a recommendation from good friends of our, The Hotel is wonderfully clean the reception if fantastic the welcome you get is second to none, Our Junior suite was fine even though it was a bus ride to the restaurants, at least we got some exercise every day in our two week stay from 29 November to 13 December 2012 actually we left on 14th December as there was a 24 hour delay, again no worries as we could keep our room and had all other facilities available.
We used all the restaurants but found the French and the Spice to be the two we would recommend especially for the service we received from the waiters, they were excellent in these two restaurants. We tried the Mexican and the Italian but found the service to be poor on one occasion in the Italian We were shown to a table given some water and then sat for twenty minutes before the a waiter arrived and asked if we wanted some wine. As for the Mexican we found the service was even worse and finished up walking out as we had waited that long.
The bar staff are excellent at all the bars and the Pool bar and the Martini bar staff where extremely friendly and helpful and you can get all the imported drinks you want and ladies the Champagne is proper champagne so try it.
We spoke to a lot of people who have been to the hotel three of more times over and they were saying that the standard at the hotel had dropped over the past twelve month. My wife and I could not comment on this but felt that it did not really meat our expectations from the recommendations we had received. It is very difficult to recommend any holiday to anyone so I will not do this I say if the rest of the reviews meat what you are looking for then try it. But to me and my wife it has something lacking. We were told that Management had changed this could have been one of the reasons people were saying the standard had dropped, but as I have said the hotel is fantastic and my only criticism was the service is some of the restaurants. Before anyone asks I always tip and will always do so for good service even here in England.

Room Tip: There are numerous blocks from block 4 is probabley the farthest point if you are an early to bed pe...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GrumpyDerek
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

This place is beautiful and feels new. Food was really lovely.
Only thing i would say is that there was a wedding party when we were there and there were groups of Americans being so rowdy at dinner and around the pool area - this really did spoil it for us.
If it wasn't for this then it would be a lovely place for couples. I wouldn't let this put you off going, we may have just been unlucky. I think this sort if thing should be controlled by the hotel.
Really beautiful resort though.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,524 reviews
0.3 km away
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!