“The most amazing resort experience!”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 18 September 2017

I traveled to this resort with 7 other friends (3 couples, and two single folks) and we had The. Best. Time. We are all in our early 30's, which meant that we are in the middle between wanting to drink/have fun, and relax. This resort was absolutely perfect for us, as it was the best of both worlds. It was not a crazy party atmosphere, (though if you wanted to party, you could find ways to do it), but it was also not a boring "old-folks" resort with nothing to do and nothing to see. It was EVERYTHING.

Let me tell you, the rooms are all absolutely gorgeous, even the regular basic-rate rooms. Most of my friends did the regular rooms and they were totally beautiful. I upgraded to the Swim-up room because I wanted a hammock and daybed instead of a terrace, and it was well worth the money! Then another one of my friends got a surprise upgrade for being Expedia Gold, and they were given a bi-level suite with rooftop plunge pool, and that was also stunning. All in all, every room I saw was to-date, modern, and high quality--and I saw several!

Okay, other things: many other reviews talk about various employees and how great they are. As a traveler looking to figure out where to stay, I found it tiresome to read the random names of people I didn't know. But now that I've been, I understand why. THESE PEOPLE ARE AMAZING. Seriously. There were so many smiling faces, fun activities, and amazing small touches of service everywhere I looked. From the completely fantastic activities folks (Leyti, Javier, Jezer, Monica, Carlos, Alfonso) to the restaurant staff (Manuel and Adalberto at Agave, Aaron at the mexican fiesta, Judith at Spice, Santos at the sports bar, and Marcos, Isac and Ramon at Barcelona), to Luis and Marella at the Spa, to Carlos the bellman, Ruby at the jewelry store and Moses our craps croupier at Casino Night, literally every single person I interacted with was an absolute joy and they should all get significant raises. Hands down.

Okay, now back to the review stuff: You want to relax and have a low-key trip? We got you. Just book a room near the spa and you'll be in the quieter area where people lounge by the pool, read books, and recharge. Want something livelier? Book near the main pool, where there are daily activites like water volleyball, music trivia, water balloon challenges, aqua aerobics, and tons of other stuff.

PS: Other reviews I had read complained about difficulty finding chairs by the pool. I didn't experience this, but your mileage may vary. Seats were definitely claimed, but it always seemed to me as though there were enough to go around.

The quality of the food was what really amazed me. I assumed, since this was an all-inclusive, that the food would only be so-so. Not so! We visited almost all of the restaurants (I'll see you next time, Oregano and Chez French Place), and universally everything we ate was excellent. My favorite was actually the Indian (Basmati), but others in my group said theirs was Spice (the Benihana style place), or Flavor Market (tapas). The Mexican restaurant (Agave) was also great, but that's no surprise!

The fact that there are no kids running around? Amazing. I will never go to a family resort again, unless I myself am traveling with children. No kids around really made a huge difference in the atmosphere of this place vs. other resorts.

What else? The evening activities! Man! Every night there was a different activity. For our nights it was: Pirate show (holy cow, fire spinning and acrobatics), Urban Show (hip hop dance performance), Casino Night/Michael Jackson show, Mexican Fiesta/Silent Party. Everything was really great and fun! It's clear the folks who put on these shows take it seriously, and everything was really well put-together.

Oh, and finally, the spa--I went for two different treatments--a pedicure on Day 1, and then a massage on my last day. Both were amazing, and I had a wonderful experience both with those treatments and with the hydrotherapy before my massage (worth it!). They do give you daily special deals on the nightly update newsletter you get with your turndown service, so don't sleep on that!

What parting pointers can I give you? a) If you leave special requests for the maids, they'll do their best to accommodate you. My mini fridge had 2 Sol Beers, 2 tecate lights, some various sodas and candy bars in it, that were stocked daily. One of my friends asked for Extra Coca Cola lights instead of other canned items, and the maids accommodated them. They also include a nice incense stick each day for you to use at your leisure. I used mine one night and the next day the maids left me 2, which I really appreciated. :)
b) Tip, if you can! Just a dollar or two per interaction goes a long way. It's definitely not expected, but you can tell it's really appreciated. For my 5 night/6 day stay, I used about $100 in tips and it worked out well for maids, waitstaff, etc.
c) Leave your toiletries at home! Everything from shampoo, conditioner, bath gel to mouthwash and toothpaste is included in your room. Save the space in your luggage for more bathing suits! :)
d) Sunscreen at the gift shop is expensive (literally $20-something dollars expensive). You might want to consider bringing your own!
e) Room service is available 24/7, and they are super super nice. So if you have a late night session in your room, you'll always be able to get something to eat!
f) there's a tiny cafe inside the main lobby, and they have the most delicious little macarons. Make sure you stop by and grab one!
g) Consider an excursion. We did the one to Chichen Itza and I thought it was totally worth it. It was amazing to see, the guide was great (Wenceslao), and the cenote, omg. The cenote was so cool!
h) Just go already! I miss it and wish I were back there!

Room Tip: Rooms near the spa are quieter, near the main pool is lively
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
9  Thank awesommmmmeee
Excellence G, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

First and foremost, allow us to thank you for choosing Excellence Riviera Cancun as host of your getaway and for taking the time to share your experience with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are amused to read your amiable words regarding your stay with us and to know that you had such an enjoyable time at Excellence Riviera Cancun. We appreciate your generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation mentioning that the outstanding services & activities provided by our dedicated staff, as well as the quality of food encountered that made your entire experience beyond expected.

Please rest sure that your amiable comments will reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at the resort. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guest!

It will be a great honor to welcome you again soon and provide another amazing stay.

Please receive our warmest regards from Excellence Family!

Write a ReviewReviews (13,024)

Reviewed 18 September 2017

OK...so my husband and i returned from the Excellence, Riviera Cancun on September 2, 2017. This was our 3rd trip to this hotel and it took me this long to write the review because I'm still sulking! Leaving this venue is oh so difficult. We are ready to book next August for our 4th return visit but would like to go back even sooner if possible. I don't know where to begin with the accolades. On a scale of 1 - 10, the property itself is a 10, the food is a 10, the Restaurants are all 10's, the buildings and grounds are 10's and the rooms (club or not) are 10's. OK, so much for the physical rating, now lets get to the nitty gritty...the Staff. With overwhelming gratitude I salute the staff of the Excellence who offer up an atmosphere of peace and tranquility. "What can I get for you, when do you want it, how much do you want and it's my pleasure to help you." From each and every member of the staff I received an 'OLA' and a smile each and every time they passed. This was not limited to just the pool, club bar led by MOISES & MABEL (the very best people on the planet), restaurant & housekeeping staff. Even maintenance workers had a smile as they manicured the grounds. I swear that the Iguana hanging out even smiled as I passed (who's to dispute that)? The hotel management did NOT sit back in an office hoping that all was going well. They made regular appearances coming by the pool & restaurants inquiring how everything was going. I once again got to say hi to MANUEL GONZALEZ, the General Manager and FREDERICO MORCIRA, the assistant General Manager. They were ever present and anxious as always to see that the guests were happy. Now my very special BFF is GUILLAIRMO PARRO. (see photo if I can figure out how to post it). He was the Pastry Chef and the reason I still have to go to Weight Watchers. He is now one of the head Soux Chefs and popped up to supervise the outdoor fiestas as well as making appearances from time to time in several of the restaurants and greeted my husband and I as long lost friends. There is no doubt that any visit to this destination will prove to be a trip of a lifetime. BTW...with all of the warnings and travel advisories my husband I felt totally safe here. We used the hotel recommended transfer company and arrived in less than 20 minutes in PARADISE.

Room Tip: Ocean View, Spa View or a view of the 'Pastries'. you can't go wrong.
Reviewed 18 September 2017

My husband & I just got back from our Honeymoon that was booked with Kristin at Beach Bum Vacations! The service from Kristin was GREAT! She always promptly responded to any and all questions and concerns and truly made the traveling as seamless as possible! We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun which was a 5 star resort at a reasonable price! The resort was adults only so it was a little than what I was used to - but that was also a perk! The resort had a huge spa in the middle and a lazy river which made it a very relaxing trip! The service was great, the resort was clean, food was great and I felt VERY SAFE! This resort really had a variety of restaurants and 24 hour room service which made it even better for my midnight cheesecake craving and lazy breakfast in bed morning! The portions were just a little smaller than expected, so normally ordered an extra dish. I would definitely come back to this resort and FOR SURE will use Beach Bum in the future!!

1  Thank aanchor10
Reviewed 18 September 2017

My husband and I are just back from celebrating our 30th anniversary at ERC for 10 days! This was our 4th trip to this resort and we could not have been treated any better!!!

We splurged on the Imperial Suite for our stay and it was absolutely worth the extra cost!! The room is spectacular and the additional perks that come with the room were endless!!! Special thanks to "Andy" in the Excellence Club for taking the best care of us. He checked in with us every day to make sure everything was the way wanted (it always was) and to tell us he had something else special for us. From a private dinner in the wine cellar at Chez Isabell to Margarita set ups in our room with some of the best tequila you'll ever drink, we felt like he really went above and beyond to ensure our anniversary trip was extra special!!

There are so many staff people at this resort that work very hard to ensure every guest has their best vacation. As it has been said in many other reviews, someone is always working on something. Restocking towels, cleaning your sunglasses, checking on your drink, bringing around treats, cleaning your room and the resort in general are just a few of the things that are constantly being done to truly make ERC excellent.

The food and drinks are plentiful & delicious with something for everyone. No matter if you choose room service, poolside service or one of the restaurants you will not be disappointed.

We will stay at ERC for our next trip to Mexico, can't ' imagine staying anyplace else. Thank you again to all who made our anniversary trip so memorable!!!

2  Thank CBOHIO
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We stayed at this resort for 5 nights in August, shortly after Hurricane Harvey passed the area. I've stayed at the Excellence in Playa Mujeres and this was almost as good. The sister resort is 5 star+ but this is still 5 star for sure. I can't say enough about how hard working the staff is. Abel, Jezer, Monica and "lady Gaga" (can't remember her real name) were standouts. The accommodations are top notch and the bed was more comfortable than at EPM - although it's been several years since I've been there. We didn't make it to many of the shows, but took full advantage of beach volleyball, water volleyball, archery, cocktail and margarita lessons. Although the lessons were really just more of a tasting, it was still fun. It never felt crowded - although if you want chairs by the pool (especially in the shade), you would need to get down there early otherwise they are taken pretty quickly.

The food was very good. The portions for dinner are somewhat small, so get an appetizer, an extra entree to share and you're set! We ate at the breakfast buffet every morning and we changed up lunch every day. We ate at Spice, Chez Isabelle, Basmati, Lobster House and the Mexican theme night for dinner. Note that the lobster is only a 1/2 tail if you go the Lobster House for dinner. The food was excellent with Spice, Chez Isabelle and Basmati being our favorites. You only need reservations for hibachi at Spice and we never remembered to go when they opened to reserve our spot so sat at a regular table and the food was great.

At the end of the day, the people are what really made this a memorable experience. Not just the people working at the resort, but the other folks vacationing here as well. We had a fun crowd, but not obnoxious or annoying. Don't be afraid to talk to your fellow vacationers. Also, tips are included, but when you see how hard some of these people are working, you'll want to bring some cash to show your appreciation. Oh, one more tip... bring your Yeti cup. Your drink will stay colder for much longer!

1  Thank jenlhome
Reviewed 18 September 2017

I can not say enough about how wonderful this resort was,The entire staff are warm and gracious .All the service thoughout the Hotel was first class.Special thank you to the concierges at the Excellence club.Mayra & Andy were so helpful in extending our stay due to our flight being cancelled because of the hurricane .They made a stressful situation into a easy transition .Axel and the other pool conciegers were so nice.Every single person we walked passed were courteous with a smile and a greeting.Being in the Hospitality business for 30 + years,I can't help but notice little things that make or break great service and honestly it was perfect.The only suggestion is there are not enough covered lounge chairs at the excellence pool.I got lucky ,but there are plenty on the beach.Cant wait to go back.

2  Thank Ginassis

Dear Ginassis,

Thank you very much for taking a time to write this review and for recommending us to all Trip Advisor readers.

We really appreciate your detailed review about your great experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun in which you describe how dedicated were our partners to serve you, providing a relaxing and pampering experience. Please rest sure that your amiable comments will reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at the resort. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests!

In addition, thank you for your constructive feedback, which is very important to us. Your inputs help with our continuing efforts to provide an excellent service and a great stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and provide another remarkable experience.

Receive our warmest regards from Riviera Maya!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My husband and I just stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun 08/27/17-09/01/17. We were a little nervous with everything floating around the internet about the alcohol and the travel warning, but let me tell you..it was amazing! As soon as we arrived all of our concerns vanished. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the service is incredible. We LOVED our trip and are so glad we didn't cancel. Everything held up to the hype-the rooms, the beaches, the food, the fun drinks, the service, everything! Can't go wrong with a stay at the Excellence!

Room Tip: The junior swim up suite is the best!
3  Thank Terri G
0.5 km away
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!