“Breeze,Birds and a view to die for”
Review of Rancho Sak-Ol

Rancho Sak-Ol
Ranked #5 of 18 Puerto Morelos B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Breeze,Birds and a view to die for”
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Stayed at the Rancho from 3/28-4/2. Room 11 has a direct ocean view, nonstop breeze and wake to jungle bird sounds with waves crashing in the background. Awesome hammocks to take in view and breeze however not a huge fan of the hanging beds. Wife liked it but go easy on the margaritas.
The staff couldn't have been any nicer and were very hard working. They are what truly what makes this place special. Breakfast was delicious and bountiful. They even recommended a great doctor for me at 8:30 PM to alleviate a nasty bout of Montezuma's revenge. I would also give Dr. Ernesto 5 stars.
Resort is a great value. Just make sure you rent a car to make your travels much easier

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I found the Rancho Sak-Ol to be a delightful respite from all the over-Americanized condos and hotels that are along the Mexican coast. We had the large junior suite upstairs overlooking the ocean and the view nearly made me cry every morning, it was so beautiful. The suite was very large with a extra day-bed, a huge closet with safe, a huge bathroom with mosaic tile tub (the shower head was a conch shell), a king bed with mosquito netting (which we didn't need... no bugs), private deck, and many candles which we used a LOT. There was no "smell" or musty odor as some have said.

The place is quaint & comfortable, not elegant and fancy. No TV, no A/C (but two great ceiling fans!), no extra amenities. Just what I expected. A large 5 gallon talavera purified water container supplied all we needed for drinking and coffee. The fridge was definitely a plus. I found the property clean and neat. The room was freshened every day. Yes the stairs were steep but it was hardly a problem. There was a small garden area under our suite and maybe 100 yards past that, a mangrove area (which some are calling a "swamp"... hardly) full of birds who delighted us with their antics every morning.

The beach was clean and wide with a small protected area for swimming. I saw the staff rake it every day. It's all you would need. I suppose if you like to swim out into the unprotected surf 1/2 a mile, this might not be the place for you. Since this is not a mega-resort, they don't clean the beach for a mile in every direction. They rake their own beach in front of the main palapa and the rest is in a natural state. There is a seldom used cargo pier WAY off to the left of the beach front, but it too is almost not worth mentioning.

We really enjoyed ourselves and the Rancho. The breakfasts were fun and large with more than enough food. The town of Puerto Morales is delightful but I would recommend a car if you are staying here as it is definitely off the beaten path. I would like to say HOLA to Vero for being so helpful and kind.

Chester County, Pa.
Reviewed 22 March 2011

This was the last stay on our two week trip and we were sure it would be the best place we stayed because the revues were so doting..It fell short of our expectations.
I will agree completely with the poster of March 9th.We had some different issues, but as far as maybe a little paint and opening up the rooms ahead of time to keep the musty smell out,agreed!

The stairs leading up to the (room 14) ocean-view suite were steep and the 4th step from the top was loose. Imagine a 60 yr old man with his wife's 50 lb suitcase learning THAT on the curve! And that's the spot where the handrail disappeared.
When I asked the owner for help on our exit, he told me "this is a B&B, we don't have bellhops!" After a day, he softened,but the damage was done as far as I was concerned, and even though I mentioned the problem to the handyman, it was never attended to..

Additionally, if there was a fire in the kitchen,the occupants of 14 would be lost. With the constant wind in Puerto Morelos, the thatched roof would incinerate the upper units. There is no escape, as the interior windows on the other side are not big enough to get through.

The location is quiet but terrible.North of town. You will be near a swamp and the beach is rocky. The view to the left is a cement shipping pier. The beach is very trashy with a lot of plastic items washing up everywhere. The seaweed is raked in front of the B&B, but not an inch to the south, where vast piles of trash mount up.
Breakfast is like the rest of the service, you make your own. This is while 3 women who work there watch you. WHAT is up with that? They try harder every other place we go, including B&Bs.

The owner needs to look at this place with a new eye, or most likely, somebody else's. He needs to open the musty rooms himself, look to paint and make decent repairs, not patch-work ones, think safety : erect a fire escape instead of putting up a "no smoking" sign!

This is my first bad review.We found much better for less in town, and it was oceanfront as well...

3 Thank gopherbroke000
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I will start with what is nice. The breakfast is fantastic. Fresh fruit, cereal, eggs(you cook) toast and good coffee. The owners are nice people. Hilda even got a fresh coconut for me that was cut open and chilled. The beach is great for sunning. It is secluded, about a little less than a mile walk into town for restaurants. It also has hammocks and chairs in the shade as well as chairs and loungers in the sun. I read more there than I have in the past year. It is a friendly place and the guests are friendly too. A gentleman named Coke was helpful with recommendations and chatting. He is a frequent guest.
The only really down side is the room itself. It is dated, thee is an odor that lingers , not bad or overppowering but noticible. The room I was in Number 8 is ground floor. It needed painting after cleaning. Thefe was what appeared to be mold or a black stIain(s) in the upper corner of the room. There is no fridge in the room nor is there a TV or a phone. That is just informational not a complaint. It was nice after a while not having a TV. In fact, it led to more relaxing tume on the beach and in the hammock. None of the usual hotel perks like shampoo, soap, hair dryer... There are lots of ants in the rooms. While I enjoyed our stay it was at the end of a nine night trip. We ad spent three nights in Tulum and then three nights in Akumal before coming there for three nights. The other hotels were the same price but much nicer. I enjoyed our stay and relaxed a lot however, while reading my review I do not think we would choose to return there. If I went to Puerto Morales again I would try another hotel.

5 Thank DeltaBiker
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

This little place ticked all the boxes. We had a good impression from the very start with an excellent website and the helpful information provided. Thought all the staff charming and very helpful. Mercedes, in particular, always seemed to be around when you needed help. Breakfast was excellent, probably the best we had in all the places we stayed. Also liked the home-from-home atmosphere and ability to chill yr drinks. A little far out from town, although this has its pluses as it added to the sense of isolation / relaxation. Anyway, easily resolved with a cheap taxi. Personally, not so keen on the swinging beds, maybe due to the afore-mentioned drinks, but one word to the ever-helpful staff and that was resolved. All in all, a great chill out place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We arrived at Rancho Sak-Ol after a tumultuous hotel experience in Playa. This hotel was exactly what was needed. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The property is located a little ways from town but they do a path to town which is an easy walk during the day. I would recommend a taxi at night which is $4 USD. The rooms are basic with water provided for drinking etc.. We had a room with a single bed and a queen bed. The queen was hung from the ceiling (very secure) that rocked gently when the cross breeze in the room picked up. The ocean/beach is a few steps away from the rooms and there are hammocks on the patio of the rooms as well as a shaded area by the beach. Breakfast is make your own as they provide fruit, cereals, bread, eggs yogurt etc... Overall it was a great stay and Puerto Morelos is a great town to spend a little time in as it hasn't been hit with the tourist wave like Playa.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 February 2011

we stayed one night as the location was perfect to leave from the airport the day after. But I did not know how WONDERFUL this place really is! I wish we could have stayed so much longer! this was the last step of our little yucatan tour with a jeep.

We arrived late from chichen itza and it was really dark. I forgot to bring the directions with us so it took us a while to find it but this was our fault. it is actually 10 min away from lovely Puerto Morelos and easy to find during the day. We arrived tired but the owners welcomed us so well!!! he showed us around the place and our room was superb (number 13). What I really appreciated was the owners's attention to details: in the room there are candles and anti-mosquito plugs, in the main palapa there is a huge kitchen, a swing and a little sandy area! the owners arranged a table with local guides, list of restaurants and activities, sunscreen and lotions...

Our room was superb with a private little patio and hammacs. The bed has no feet but hangs from the ceiling and it swings! I slept like a baby. The shower is huge and this was great to rinse all snorkeling equipment.

Even though we were leaving Mexico a few hours after, we still really could relax and enjoy the last day of vacation: we went snorkeling: the reef is right on the beach and it was magic: corals, tropical fish and huge starfish everywhere! I would not recommend this for people who want to swim as it is really for snorkeling. I know there is a possibility to go on a snorkeling tour for two hours and I really wish we could have done that!!

The owners were so great: they cut fresh coconuts everyday from the trees for their guests (see pictures): it is water as they are young cocos and this means it is not laxative at all ;o). they also advised us on lovely fish retsaurants in Puerto Morelos: this is by the way a lovely town, with little local fish restaurants to die for, and the most beautiful turquoise water I've ever seen!!!!

I just want to go back there!! it was frustrating to have to leave this little paradise and I will be back FOR SURE!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple