“Good, bad, and not ugly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gorda Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Gorda Springs Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
California
“Good, bad, and not ugly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We took a chance because it was a 3-day weekend and we had no other options except driving back to San Luis Obispo.

The good is that this is a spectacular location and not pricey for a cabin with its own ocean view garden. The cabins are antique but ours had a shabby charm. Our bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. They supply bottled water and we were warm enough with the "Amish" fireplace. I also enjoyed strolling past the goats and their Hobbit house, The mature plantings and the flowers are lovely. This is not a modern, luxury hotel. It's not even Deetjen's. But we liked it and Henry Miller and Robinson Jeffers would have felt quite at home.

About the cafe, The food was okay but over-priced. For breakfast it was fine. But for dinner, I'd head north for Treebones restaurant.

Don't be afraid of taking a chance on this piece of Big Sur history.

Room Tip: We liked the Redwood cabin with its Flintstone furniture.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vickiesque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Surrey, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

ABSOLUTELY LOVED this hotel. The best hotel I stayed in. I dont think it was over-priced at all, not for the location and beautiful scenery. Nothing for miles, on a cliff edge, so so beautiful. We stayed in one of the motel rooms above the general store (there's only 3), the rooms were a bit rustic, dipped bed, old furniture - but it really didn't bother us, as the scenery was so lovely. We crossed the road to a tiny clearing, and sat on one of the rocks over-looking the Pacific and watched the sun go down. One of my favourite places, would go back here in a heartbeat if I could.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UKX
san francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stoped here without reservations and ended up getting the last two cabins available - Palm and Garden. Garden was just ok, smallish but with a whirlpool tub. Too bad the water disappeared from that room at some point in the evening and came back on with loud noises at 6 am. Palm cabin was big, with a kitchen sink and fridge and a few dishes, a table and a fake fireplace. And awesome views. Grounds are lovely, they have 3 goats, lots of flowers, stairs and verandas and benches. Restaurant food is blah and expensive. Drive another 30 mins to ragged point for an excellent meal at a similar price.
Overall, we were ready for a motel 6 but got views, cute and personality for 125+ tax. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
San Carlos, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Add to the awful, overpriced food in the filthy cafe: fraudulent business practices. Specifically, the itemized bill INCLUDES their tip charge. This is unusual, and certainly presumptuous for a party of 2. But wait. When you give them your credit card, they return with two slips, but not the original itemized dining bill. The two charge slips specifically state "total BEFORE TIP" and then state the total that, according to the original itemized bill INCLUDES the tip. So, unless you are paying close attention and notice that they've already included the tip in that amount, you're going to tip them again. To add insult to injury, you'll be tipping them on the tip they already charged you for their crappy food and service. When I called the hostess on this, she blithely advised me to "just put a zero in the tip blank on the charge slip." Put a zero in this business.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank 206dvr

Travellers are raving about these Big Sur hotels

Buckingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This cafe was absolutely filthy.
The server wiped the table with the same cloth she used on the chairs and floor. A man came to collect the dishes and his washing up bowl was really dirty. The cutlery was dirty. The kitchen was just yuck - food all down the outside of the bin. The toilets were unclean - "hair" all over the place - and dusty too. Certainly not that day's dirt either.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank SallyBuckingham
Trabuco Canyon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked a room here for a 3 day weekend with my wife, when we arrived we were greeted by a group of hotel employees standing in front of the door to the store where you check in smoking up a storm, after making my way thru the cloud of smoke I was able to check into the hotel, I had requested a certain room and the room they wanted to give me was not the one requested, however they did change rooms when I requested they do so since they all seemed empty, the first night was hell between the smoke wafting up into our room and the noise from the generator next to the restaurant below and the Road noise we hardly slept, I would have left right then and there but all other resorts were booked for the summer, I requested a different room and was given a cabin that sits back from the road and is somewhat secluded, this was better but its very Rustic which was ok for me at this point, we then found out the WIFI connection was not available in the cabin and we would have to go down to the restaurant if we want to Internet connection on our laptop which most of the time didn't work. oh yeah and have I told you the water was non potable and we had to buy water at the store, to be honest they did give us a couple of bottles free, but still a big hassle to shower, and brush your teeth and not swallow water, all in all it is not a place I would recommend to anyone, as I titled this review ,keep moving nothing to see here. Oh to be fair if you are hungry do stop at the restaurant they have a killer chef.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ca1Robert
Diamond Bar, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Great location, overlooking the ocean. Everything looks like it needs to be replaced. Very old furniture, bed and couch sagging badly, dirty rug, no screens, toilet running. Outside lights on all night. I woke up 3 am and thought it was morning. Non potable water we were informed of after we paid for the room. We did not eat at the restaurant due to the incredibly high prices. I think it was a cute place but has been allowed to just run into the ground. It wasn't horrible but I could not see myself recommending it unfortunately.

Room Tip: Ask if the water is potable yet, ask to see the room first
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
38.0 km away
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Gorda Springs Resort? Share your experiences!