“Great lunch tasting experience”

Rare Hare at Willow Creek Vineyard
Price range: US$18 - US$29
Description: Rare Hare Wine & Food Store, the home of Willow Creek Vineyard wines, is open 7 days for lunch and Fri/Sat/Sun for dinner. Rare Hare is a special sort of place, defined by aspect, soil, and toil. We invite you to savour the fruits of our labour, within view of the vines on which they were born. Willow Creek Vineyard wine tastings are available daily from 11:00am - 4:30 pm, to ensure the very best experience, please book your visit with us.
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

Went to Rare Hare for a casual lunch on a sunny Saturday with friends in a group of 4. The place was busy but seemed to cope well. We started with the wine tasting, and enjoyed most of the seven wines on tasting (no charge). We wanted to sit outside for lunch so there was a short wait for a table, inside had tables ready to go, waited maybe 15 mins so we bought a bottle of their Rose, sat on the sunny lawn in the comfy chairs provided and watched the passing parade of over excited groups chatting. We were seated at a large table shared with another group which was fine. Great view across the vineyard to a dam at the bottom of the hill.
Service was prompt, friendly, even a little quirky, “any allergies? Don’t want to serve you anything that might kill you.” Water was replenished regularly without request. We ordered shared plates including Salumi selection, excellent, oysters,, fresh and juicy, sardines with preserved lemon rind, fantastic, beetroot Muhammad’s and witlof, great but not as amazing as waitress suggested, chargrilled squid with Romesco Nero and grilled lemon, looked amazing and was cooked beautifully, broccolini and Parmesan custard, unusual and very tasty, and the charcoal eggplant with red miso and furikake.
Great mix of flavours, most dishes have a different spin on the usual so there’s a treat in store in each one. Left happy and content, prices are reasonable and we’ll be back.

1  Thank Peter A

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Rare hare is a very nice venue, one of been to many times before. But this time I wasn’t impressed, we had a group of 8 people and decided we would have the $65 per person set share menu. The food was not to bad, but the quantity for 8 people was no where near enough! With the cost of our group I was very disappointed. I could of bought the entire menu for the price I paid and not needed to eat when I got home..
Plus spending almost $1000 and being told we only had 2 hours and then had to be out of the next sitting..
I would of recommended this place on my previous visit, but not this time...

2  Thank andrewjR7009IN
Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

A friend of mine recommended this place and I will recommend this place from now on. Also is in my list of place that I want to go back any time soon.

1  Thank fernandar933
Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

What a beautiful location! My husband and I visited Rare Hare for a wine tasting which took place in the barrel room - we then moved into the restaurant to take in the spectacular views while we had a glass of rose & cheese platter. Awesome way to spend the afternoon

1  Thank Emmyrosie
Reviewed September 29, 2018

Can’t remember the last time food surprised me, in a good way. Such innovative combinations. Presentation and flavour in abundance. Great ambiance, good service. The coat rack blew me away, so fabulous, but it did beg the question, what happenes to all the bunnies that donated their jackets when there was not even a hint of rabbit on the menu? A rabbit dish on the menu would have topped it for me. Will definitely be back, and with friends.

Date of visit: September 2018