“Nice accomodation & food”
Review of George & Falcon

George & Falcon
Ranked #1 of 1 Warnford B&B and Inns
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Nice accomodation & food”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed one night here after going to Legoland on the way to Dorset. We had a family room which was nicely equipped and comfortable beds. The manager & staff were very friendly & helpful, the food was good and the price not bad to include a breakfast.
Its a pity it was raining otherwise the decking out the back would be a lovely place to eat/drink on a summer night.
Overall a really good B&B and pub

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AndyNighty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The George & Falcon is a spacious and tastefully refurbished roadside pub and hotel in Hampshire's attractive Meon Valley. At the rear are a large car park and garden backing onto the River Meon.

A huge open plan bar, two raised dining areas and a terrace provide a very agreeable setting for a drink or meal. The food is thoughtfully prepared with main courses in the £10-£15 range. For beer lovers, there are two Ringwood bitters on offer.

Our one-night stay was spent in the comfortable Red Falcon Room, again tastefully decorated with king size bed, Freeview TV, big pine wardrobe and kettle. The large bathroom had an excellent shower over the bath. There was a degree of traffic noise in the morning, but this is inevitable from the location beside the A32.

The booking website used by the hotel indicates that breakfast is included in the room price, but it turns out this means a continental breakfast and not a cooked breakfast - which costs up to £6 extra. Having said that, the continental breakfast is very good indeed, with cereals, yogurt, toast and nice pastries.

The service was friendly and efficient throughout our stay... until I was unfortunately presented with another guest's bill on checkout. Although this was swiftly resolved, the error was compounded when I received an email later in the day apologising for the slowness of the credit card terminal. Clearly this was not intended for me as I had no bill to settle, having paid in advance online.

For anyone arriving without a car, buses to Petersfield and Winchester on Stagecoach route 67 stop right outside. (No service on Sundays.) This is good walking country. Old Winchester Hill with its spectacular views is just down the valley. The nearby National Trust estate at Hinton Ampner is also worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here while in the area for a nearby wedding.

The inn was lovely and the staff were very helpful when we needed to check into our room early in order to be able to get to the wedding for 2pm. While we waited for our room to become available, we had lunch in the pub which was great. Although we only ordered a couple of sandwiches, they were very good and had obviously been freshly prepared, with thick fresh bread and huge amounts of tasty filling. I can well imagine that the more substantial options would be excellent too, and I am sorry that we didn't have an opportunity to try them this time.

Our room was great. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size and had a huge, powerful shower, although the water unfortunately went lukewarm towards the end of my shower on Saturday morning and my partner ended up having to have a completely cold one! There was also a slightly unpleasant, blocked drain kind of smell in the bathroom at times, and although this wasn't terrible, it could probably use a bit of attention. The room was quiet at night and we slept very well.

I do have to echo a previous reviewer's comment about taxis. When making my original enquiries about staying here I was told that a taxi from Petersfield station would be about £12, whereas it actually ended up being over £20 each way. I highly recommend Barry's taxi service, who took us to the station on Saturday morning, but the duty manager informed us that if he wasn't available, we'd probably get charged extra to get a taxi to come all that way. That's perhaps worth bearing in mind when weighing up your options for where to stay, as you do have to factor in the cost of the taxi ride.

We also had some serious problems on Friday night when, due to difficulties getting a taxi back from the wedding, we ended up arriving back at the pub later than expected and found ourselves locked out. The details of this incident have been thrashed out both in person and via email, so I don't want to go over it all again here (and it doesn't detract from my overall rating), but I would advise anyone staying here to make sure you get the instructions for after-hours access if you think there's any chance you'll be back after than 11 - if you are, you WILL be locked out!

If I ever find myself in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here, and perhaps try the dinner menu next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed last night as we were at a nearby wedding.

The bar & patio area are spacious & relaxed - very traditional decor inside & modern outside.

The room we stayed in was clean & well made up - the bathroom light & plent of space in there.

Although this is on a main road, there was no traffic noise that I was aware of.

The breakfast was very good & plenty of choice.

The only problem we found with the area (nothing to do with the hotel) is that it was not easily served by taxi (we had to return to the wedding venue to collect my car) however the fantastic Dave who had checked us in yesterday & then served us breakfast this morning offered us a lift - above & beyond what we had expected.

This hotel had a real family feel, we were made very welcome by all of the staff. So in my opinion well worth a visit.

On this visit we didn't try to the menu - bu will on another visit sometime.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I stayed one night and had a single room (Saker Falcon), This overlooked the A32 and suffered from a bit of traffic noise. This road seems popular with motorcyclists and I was woken at around 2 am by what I think was a Ducati!

The room was clean (with the exception of dead flies in the light shades) and spacious for one person. The TV had all the Freeview channels. Tea and coffee making facilites were provided and a bottle of water, presumably also complimentary.

I did not have dinner in the hotel (in retrospect, probably a mistake!) and I returned at about 10:15pm to find the bar empty and to be told that it closed at 10! In mitigation, I was asked if wanted a drink.

The continental breakfast (included) was excellent with real bread and the silver wrapped butter, to which a previous reviewer objected, had been replaced by an unwrapped pat.

There was no light over the bathroom mirror which made shaving a bit dangerous.
The firedoors in the corridor are on automatic closers (a good thing) but need adjustment so that they don't slam over the last 6 inches of travel ( a very bad thing).

All in all, good value with friendly and helpful staff

Room Tip: Ask for aroom at the back of the hotel
Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
dajhill, Manager at George & Falcon, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Thank you for your comments. The issues regarding the room you stayed in will be fully inverstigated and corrections made where necessary. I can already confirm the fire door closure has been adjusted.

Next time, please stay for dinner!
yorkshire
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Room was clean and had an amazing power shower.
The food was exceptional- each item had a different selection of vegetables. Food was cooked to order. Service was very good. The pub is very dog friendly.
What a gem of a find!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed one night only in this very comfortable, welcoming pub. Our room was well set up and very comfortable although could have benifitted from brighter lighting in the bathroom. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed a really lovely meal, served by a friendly and very efficient waitress. Similarly the breakfast was very good and served with the same friendly efficiency. We would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warnford
11.2 km away
9.1 km away
The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
#1 of 2 in Bishop's Waltham

Been to George & Falcon? Share your experiences!