“Quality B+B”

Ranked #1 of 1 Warnford B&B and Inns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Quality B+B”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Just one night here, but I would be happy to return again. Lovely rooms (I was in "Brown Falcon"), good food and a nice breakfast. Ample car parking and friendly staff. It was very quiet when I stayed so not much atmosphere in the bar, but it was mid January. However on the plus side, there was no queue for the very moorish Ringwood Best on hand pump. The hotel has free wi-fi in all rooms, but signal in my room was rather weak. That said, I would happily return

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi in your room, ask for one closer to the router
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
wales
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Stayed for one night to break up a journey - a lovely place, very welcoming. Room had everything in it we wanted including a fantastic shower. Had an evening meal which was very very nice, and although opted for the continental breakfast (in with the price) it was lovely and very substantial. Very friendly staff / owners and we would certainly return. Originally booked as it was a place that stated dog friendly, but would stay again with or without our dog.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Maidstone
Reviewed 5 December 2011

A weekend exploring Winchester and surrounding countryside was made very enjoyable by our stay at the George and Falcon. Our room was more than adequate, DInner on both nights was excellent and the staff were attentive without being pushy. It would be an ideal stopping place to break a longer journey in the good old tradition of an Inn, but would also be a lovely place to stay longer if, as we did, you wanted to explore the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Peregrine Falcon room. It is not huge and it is not a room with a view, but has eve...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed over for one night at The George and falcon as I was attending a friends wedding in the neighbouring village.

Excellent accommodation, great service and a fabulous cooked breakfast - only continental breakfast included in the price, the cooked breakfast is extra but a snip at under 6 quid - would definitely recommend!

If you are in the area give it a try. Car recommended as remote-ish location.

Will definitely be back for a nice romantic weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed one night here after going to Legoland on the way to Dorset. We had a family room which was nicely equipped and comfortable beds. The manager & staff were very friendly & helpful, the food was good and the price not bad to include a breakfast.
Its a pity it was raining otherwise the decking out the back would be a lovely place to eat/drink on a summer night.
Overall a really good B&B and pub

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AndyNighty
London
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The George & Falcon is a spacious and tastefully refurbished roadside pub and hotel in Hampshire's attractive Meon Valley. At the rear are a large car park and garden backing onto the River Meon.

A huge open plan bar, two raised dining areas and a terrace provide a very agreeable setting for a drink or meal. The food is thoughtfully prepared with main courses in the £10-£15 range. For beer lovers, there are two Ringwood bitters on offer.

Our one-night stay was spent in the comfortable Red Falcon Room, again tastefully decorated with king size bed, Freeview TV, big pine wardrobe and kettle. The large bathroom had an excellent shower over the bath. There was a degree of traffic noise in the morning, but this is inevitable from the location beside the A32.

The booking website used by the hotel indicates that breakfast is included in the room price, but it turns out this means a continental breakfast and not a cooked breakfast - which costs up to £6 extra. Having said that, the continental breakfast is very good indeed, with cereals, yogurt, toast and nice pastries.

The service was friendly and efficient throughout our stay... until I was unfortunately presented with another guest's bill on checkout. Although this was swiftly resolved, the error was compounded when I received an email later in the day apologising for the slowness of the credit card terminal. Clearly this was not intended for me as I had no bill to settle, having paid in advance online.

For anyone arriving without a car, buses to Petersfield and Winchester on Stagecoach route 67 stop right outside. (No service on Sundays.) This is good walking country. Old Winchester Hill with its spectacular views is just down the valley. The nearby National Trust estate at Hinton Ampner is also worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here while in the area for a nearby wedding.

The inn was lovely and the staff were very helpful when we needed to check into our room early in order to be able to get to the wedding for 2pm. While we waited for our room to become available, we had lunch in the pub which was great. Although we only ordered a couple of sandwiches, they were very good and had obviously been freshly prepared, with thick fresh bread and huge amounts of tasty filling. I can well imagine that the more substantial options would be excellent too, and I am sorry that we didn't have an opportunity to try them this time.

Our room was great. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size and had a huge, powerful shower, although the water unfortunately went lukewarm towards the end of my shower on Saturday morning and my partner ended up having to have a completely cold one! There was also a slightly unpleasant, blocked drain kind of smell in the bathroom at times, and although this wasn't terrible, it could probably use a bit of attention. The room was quiet at night and we slept very well.

I do have to echo a previous reviewer's comment about taxis. When making my original enquiries about staying here I was told that a taxi from Petersfield station would be about £12, whereas it actually ended up being over £20 each way. I highly recommend Barry's taxi service, who took us to the station on Saturday morning, but the duty manager informed us that if he wasn't available, we'd probably get charged extra to get a taxi to come all that way. That's perhaps worth bearing in mind when weighing up your options for where to stay, as you do have to factor in the cost of the taxi ride.

We also had some serious problems on Friday night when, due to difficulties getting a taxi back from the wedding, we ended up arriving back at the pub later than expected and found ourselves locked out. The details of this incident have been thrashed out both in person and via email, so I don't want to go over it all again here (and it doesn't detract from my overall rating), but I would advise anyone staying here to make sure you get the instructions for after-hours access if you think there's any chance you'll be back after than 11 - if you are, you WILL be locked out!

If I ever find myself in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here, and perhaps try the dinner menu next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warnford
11.2 km away
5.7 km away
Ye Olde George Inn
Ye Olde George Inn
#8 of 25 in Petersfield

Been to George & Falcon? Share your experiences!