“Hiking trails in DEAN PARK, SIDNEY BC near VICTORIA BC, TOP OF THE LINE”

John Dean Provincial Park
Reviewed July 22, 2015

Well, let's start this way by categorizing me. I am a heavy set, pot bellied man end of the 60s, and my HONEY as well as my health conscious daughter insisted, that I do some hikes up and down in the park, to improve my health.

Easy said for them, since they are slim, sporty, and especially my daughter not too polite in words to get me to exercise. There were no excuses left, and since the weather is nice and dry, and there are no allergens in the forest at that time which could influence my lungs and breathing negatively, I saw no excuse left to weasel out of this task. So I drove to the starting point for the trains, and huffed and puffed after them. Inside the Park there is a junction where you could get the easier way out - after 30 minutes up and down the partly steep terrain, or get to the next level which will take much longer and is just a tougher terrain. So I was coerced to endure this hike, and I was pretty much done when the trail ended. But, no excuses left for the days which followed, I was asked to join them again, which I did reluctantly. What shall a man do when the women ask him to please them, even if it kills him?????

WOW, I am doing this now for nearly a week, and the huffing and puffing got less and less, and now I start to like it. I must admit, it is a nice trail, even if it would be way more fun to sit in a beer-garden at a lake, and have a nice cold beer to enjoy, instead of running off the pounds. Not running exactly, more limping along would be a better description of my hikes. However, I lost about 5 lbs. by now, and I surprised my "BETTER HALF" with the wish to go to the Recreation Center for a swim in the early evening. It was nice to see the surprise on their faces when I asked them to join me. That was worth the stress and pain.

The park is very nice, however the former driveway to the parking area at DUNSMUIR RESTAURANT is closed now, so you have to park in the residential areas below the park. But that is no problem at all. There are not too many crazy people to join me at the hiking trails.

Date of experience: July 2015
in 3 reviews
"hike"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2015

John Dean park has some of the largest trees on southern Vancouver Island. Two minutes from the trailhead and you will be immersed in tall trees, ferns, moss and dappled sunlight. Very restorative.

There are lots of trails with varying degrees of difficulty so it's suitable for all ages and degrees of stamina

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed December 22, 2014

Myself and my hubby came here with our almost 4 year old. She had no problems negotiating the trail and it was a beautiful hike. Only thing we didn't know is that the entrance from Dean Park is closed November to Feb (I think) so we had to park a little lower down in the residential area.

Date of experience: December 2014
Reviewed October 13, 2014

If you like geocaching - you should head to John Dean Park. I love the trails here. A hidden gem with quite a few trails to choose from. Good for dog walkers. You do need to walk up the road to get to the trails.

Date of experience: November 2013