“Bizarre Service and Uncomfortable Seating”
Review of Yat Bun Tong

Yat Bun Tong
Ranked #136 of 1,570 Restaurants in Canberra
Reviewed April 4, 2018

The food is okay here. The seats are just not comfortable - hard wooden chairs with very straight backs. Gets noisy. The service was slow and people who came in after us got served before us. I ordered rice and it never came. I could not get their attention no matter how hard I tried. I went up to the desk to inquire about the rice. They did not seem to care that it had not arrived. It finally came after another 15 minutes, but everything else was cold. They asked if I liked everything as I was leaving. I explained what happened. Again, they did not care. It was like it was my fault. No attempt to do something to make this up to me. I would have thought at the very least the rice would be free. I will be telling everybody I know that this is a place to avoid unless you enjoy bad service.

1  Thank AndyandCathy

Reviewed April 1, 2018

I was there with family and orders some dumplings, pork buns and soup, all of which were on point and the dishes came very quick. Staff very friendly and efficient and overall a good eat. Would recommend.

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

Visited from Melbourne with my wife. Food was good, we ordered combination dumplings (15), fried pork dumplings (10) and egg noodles with slice beef. Water is free. Total cost $43.50.
Dumplings were tasty, only small amounts of meat in each dumpling that was disappointing. The egg noodles with slice beef was amazing. We ordered well as food amount was plenty for two people.
The staff speak broken english so it's important to speak slow and clear. Overall, descent food for two people under $50.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

Got there about 12.45 - a few scattered tables, a few more scattered tables with dirty plates still on them. Wasn't busy in dining or takeaway so after 15 mins, my Seafood Chow Mien with XO Sauce arrived (sounded good), maybe it was delayed whilst they were waiting for seafood extender to thaw (can't believe any restaurant would use this). Sauce was tasty but not a lot of it especially when its on a bed of dry crispy noodle. Maybe 3 prawns, 2 calamari and 2 pieces of fish (Basa) and of course that terrible seafood extender with a handful of carrot pieces and some cut up snow peas. It certainly didn't look like the picture that's in the menu.

Have been here before, normally better and acknowledging dumplings are their thing - they too are only average, no different to other Dumpling joints around town.

Room for improvement......

Reviewed February 17, 2018 via mobile

Had dinner here on a Saturday night. Food was almost the best I have ever had at an Asian restaurant, and what a range!

We had mixed dumplings, fabulous beans with XO sauce, a generous serving of prawns, a noodle soup (which did have some over-fibrous greens in it) and duck sang choy bow. Wines were very reasonably priced.

It was a little hard to get the attention of the staff at times but all in all was a great experience with super quick delivery of food, once ordered, and it was all piping hot and fresh.

Will be going back!!