See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 22, 2017

We spent only one night in this hostel and the feeling about it are quite contradictory... It's not too bad, but far away from being very good. I guess that as long as you come with no expectations, you won't be disappointed!
Feble points: There's no free parking around (there's no free parking in Canberra anyway!), there's only 2 showers and quite moldy and short, so you have to bend your knees to wash your hair; some rooms have no windows, which is very sad. The whole place feels a bit claustrophobic.
Good points: Good matrasses, big kitchen and spacious common area with sofas, tv, movies and books. It's located in close to super markets and shops in China town, which is perfect to get good food. The breakfast in the morning is very decent, with a wide selection of cereal, bread, jams, etc.
It's the cheapest in Canberra so... enjoy it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with window!!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

You can definitely tell they know there are only two hostels in Canberra.
Friendly staff !!
But the bathrooms covered in mould and dirty
there lounge area is just so run down not a very comfortable place to be.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

Very friendly staff and very helpful. Nice size kitchen and a sofa area to watch films as they have a DVD player! Also free breakfast was so good' wide range of cereal juice & toast. Rooms are ok but quite cramped. All good

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2017 via mobile

We drove from port fairy to Canberra which took 12 hours, we called and told the person on reception we would be late because of traffic ect and they didn't mind at all, we arrived at around 1:00 am and they guy was up and ready waiting for us to arrive! We checked in and had two strange creepy old men in our room which made the first night unpleasant, we told management in the morning and they were happy to move us straight away! Staff all very friendly and couldn't help us any more if they tried( young Scottish lad)!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2016

Originally i came to Canberra to re-new my passport. Shortly before Canberra my exhaust broke, so I needed a place to stay longer. Went on google and saw two hostels. Luckily I picked this one. Easily one of my favourites in Australia so far.
It feels very personal. The owner is super laid back and talks to his guests. If the owner is not around, there are backpackers volunteering for accomodation. All of them very competent and friendly (obviously this can change, but that was my experience).
I always just paid per night so I had to change the room at one point in to a room without a window. My friend didn't like the window situation so we wanted to change the room. The staff was super friendly and helpful and changed us in to another room without hesitating. All of the rooms were clean and not smelly, even the one without a window.
The kitchen is renovated and clean. One of the better kitchen facilities in Australia, I guess, they even have free breakfast. For smokers, there was a balcony which suited about 9 persons I would say, therefore the common room was a lot bigger (maybe a little too big in my opinion). Even though you are not too crowded in this hostel people still come up to you and talk to you, very friendly and open, both long-termers and short-termers.
Wi-Fi was working without any problems and quite fast.
Overall one of my more favourable hostels. The owner even went so far out of his way to help me get my car fixed and dropped me off at my embassy, while my car was getting repaired.

I loved my stay in Canberra and I will definitely come back to this hostel!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends