“Best place to stay in Canberra”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Canberra last week and were extremely impressed. The Crowne staff and mangement should be congratulated because all aspects of our stay were first class. Our check in was handled smoothly and without delay and our room was very comfortable and may have been recently refurbed. Our evening meal at the Restaurant as well as the buffet breakfast were delicious! Overall our stay was excellent and I would recommend the Hotel to anyone visiting Canberra for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park - great views !
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 March 2012

First off this is a great location for shops, walking in the park, the theatre and an excellent selection of restaurants. If you like casinos there is one next door. Our room overlooked the park and this was a beautiful view which over the next few weeks will likely become more spectacular.
On the downside the lift to the carpark is out of action (being refurbished?) but even so I think there is only one lift down to that level.
We had no trouble checking in or out but there are a few airlines using this hotel and if you arrive just as half a dozen flight crew do it can be a struggle.
Concierge was most helpful in finding a car wash facility and with other directions.
We did not eat at the hotel but did hear positive comments from others.
All in all the hotel is getting there, a few things still to get perfect but well on the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a park view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Mum and I went to Canberra for the current exhibition at the National Gallery - we have stayed here before and this was our first choice again when staying in Canberra. First class staff, and clean, very comfortable room. Great buffet breakfast. The hotel is a great location for dining choices - just a short walk from the Civic dining district.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Spent 3 days at the Crowne Plaza Canberra last week $400 a night for a basic room. Check in was shocking. No concierge service and the reception staff were lacking any energy at all. In the evening i went down and check the gym out and it is really terrible. Nothing has changed since i last visited the hotel 5 years ago, the machines are old and look dangerous to use. I decided to give them gym a miss and pay $22 at Fitness First instead. On my second day i arrived back at 2.45pm and to my shock the room was not made and i had to contact reception to get some fresh towels. I think next time i will stay at the Novotel instead. Even though i am Priority Club Elite member i will not visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here simple :0
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank PlatinumTraveller75
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Argentina4eva,

Thank you for your recent stay, and taking time to provide feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel in a beautiful room overlooking the park and cannot let previous reviews pass without springing to the hotel's defence! It may be that it was those reviews that have caused the hotel to reflect on its standards and contributed to the quality of my stay but even if that is the case, I would not wish those looking for a place to stay in Canberra to be put off by them.

I arrived at about midday yesterday (a Sunday). Mt room was ready for me and the concierge staff were waiting to assist me with my luggage before my taxi from the airport even came to a stop. The room that I am in is certainly not 'tired' - indeed, it seems to have been refurbished very recently. The bathroom is just a little on the small side but otherwise I would struggle to find flaw with it.

I have not had a problem with the lift, although I do see that there are signs directing patrons to the lift which serves the car park and a large notice in the foyer advising that the lifts are to be refurbished.

I cannot comment on the standard of the meals here as I have not yet eaten one.

In the time that I have been here, the staff have been at great pains to make my stay as pleasant as possible and I thank them for that.

I have stayed at Crowne Plaza Hotels all over the world (I am a Priority Club Platinum member) and would say that this hotel, whilst not the best, compares very, very favourably with most others.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the park would have to be prefferable
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael W
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Michael W,

Thank you so much for taking your time to review us and particularly for jumping to our defence.
I am sure that your affection for the brand played a part in your decision to write a review and that is a compliment in itself.

I am thrilled to see that as one of our most frequent guests with global experience of the brand, you found our product and service to your liking. While we are constantly improving in service standards and consistency, the experience you had is very much in line with our goals and indeed encourages us as a team that our efforts are bearing fruit.

Our improvement plans are a constant as we strive to become the first choice for acommodation in Canberra and I do hope that you and all our guests will see the results of our efforts ongoing.

Thanks again and please don't hesitate to contact me direct if there is any aspect of this stay or future ones with which I can assist.

Yours Sincerely

Matt Anderson

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Good location. Nice room and friendly staff. Free internet available. Only disappointing point was the price of the breakfast knowing we had already paid quite much for the room itself.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have stayed at this property a number of times and it has always felt tired and worn out. My most recent stay for business was terrible. The toilet ran water constantly making a loud noise, the air conditioning didn't work, the phone by the bed didn't work, the room service dinner included a salad with brown lettuce, the room service breakfast trays remained in the hallway until after 6 pm at night, the staff entered the elevator before me on two occasions and offered no assistance, I carried my own luggage to my room, the concierge was ill informed and the list goes on and on...

I stayed here because I am a priority gold member and was grateful for an early check in. I was also impressed with a follow up phone call from the head of room services to apologize for the poor standards. I am usually a very loyal customer when I have joined a loyalty program but I am not sure if I could cope with another stay at this property.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business