Stay over on a Thursday night. The place was humming and singing with people in Canberra for a choir convention. Dinner in the main restaurant was pleasant and the food very well prepared. Service was friendly and efficient. The bar is also a good place to a drink with colleuges and clients. A good choice of beers and wines. Decor is modern and looks new.
The standard rooms are a good size and clean. The bathroom is clean and well appointed. The shower has good water flow and gets the job done. Only comment here is the awkward placement of the bathroom door. It just gets in the way. If it was sliding or swung the other way it would have been more utility.
As a business hotel, the absence of free Wi-Fi in the lobby or rooms is ancient history. Can't work out how it costs $30 per day for broadband Internet via a blue cable. Hard to justify as a business expense. This stop me from using the service and sticking to my 3G iPad, which is a limited way for working with reports.
Heating in the room was difficult to to operate or may be I am not smart enough. Ended up having a cold night. A simpler and user friendly system would be better. Especially when this is not a inexpensive stay. Nevertheless less the bed was very comfortable.
As for costs, I think it was on the high side for what you get. The total cost was $364 for one night. $259 for the standard room. $71 for two course dinner. $29 on breakfast (full buffet, no cafe coffee) and the rest on credit card fees. Suggest you try behind the hotel in Marcus Clarke Street for a better deal on a meal. Did not try, but it looked busy and less pricey.
Overall, it was acceptable and a good place to stay and eat but on the touch pricier end of the spectrum.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- QT Canberra sits within the iconic Lakeside hotel that has been the scene of many a handshake deal and long lunch. In the great tradition of Australian politics we do business with a wink and a nod and know that after a gruelling day of question time (from the kids or the leader of the opposition) you need a place to put your feet up an a soft bed to fall into. Our 205 guest suites are kitted out with designer decor and all the business savvy mod cons we know you need to get the job done. Expect a seamless technology offering and a team geared to assist you with any left-field requests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your QT Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Lakeside Canberra Hotel Canberra
- Rydges Lakeside Hotel Canberra
- Canberra Rydges Lakeside Hotel