“Apology would be nice”
Review of Brassey Hotel

Brassey Hotel
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We have been staying at The Brassey for many, many years for weekend trips from Sydney. My husband booked the hotel this time so we could visit for the Enlighten Festival. It would be good if the staff were also a bit enlightened as to the fact that the customer might appreciate an apology when things go wrong. When we arrived we were advised that we had no booking. We were shown the guest list. Our names were definitely not on the list. After quite some time the young receptionist found us booked for the same date in 2022 instead of 2012. How the computer could have accepted this is beyond my understanding. No apology, even if it wasn't the same person who had taken the booking. My husband was quite stressed about this. We were then given a room number ( luckily they had a spare). The saga continued when we opened the door to the room number given to find it occupied! Luckily the occupants weren't at that moment in the room! Despite all this, no little gesture of compensation. A real shame, as we will not stay there again. Otherwise the hotel, although we considered it overpriced, as all Australian hotels seem to be compared with European ones, is not bad as far as location, breakfast and rooms go. There is no service to speak of. You certainly won't feel special here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one as they often have functions
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rennyanne
Mark S, Manager at Brassey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

To read a comment like this was disappointing. Commonsense could have prevented the entire sorry episode and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. However, names and dates would be of assistance here. We have guest comment forms in all our rooms and if you have a complaint you can always ask to speak to me. This affords instant an response. Happy to talk to these guests mark@brassey.net.au

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The Garden View rooms are small with a double bed and a wardrobe. There's a tv and a small writing desk. The bathroom was clean and functional and reasonably modern. The rest of the decor is very 20's/30's. While the room would be a squeeze for two people, it was perfectly adequate for one.

I ate at the restaurant the first night and while the food was nice, it was quite pricey. The buffet breakfast which is included in the room price, was your standard buffet and a good start to the day. You get a couple of discount vouchers which can be used in the bar/restaurant and they offer nibbles with your drinks for an hour or two in the evening.
Stay away from the mini bar if you can. There's a drink/food vending machine next to the stairs on the ground floor if you need water/soft drink/nibbles.

Based on the minimal TA we get, this is the best in the area that fits in the price range. Would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are small and only suitable for one. For more people you need the more expensive option...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I purchased a Living Social voucher for dinner for two at The Brassey restaurant late last year. When I rang the hotel in early January to book a table I was advised that the restaurant was closed until the 16 January but that they had extended the voucher deadline until the end of February. No problem I thought. I rang The Brassey on Tuesday evening this week (21 February) to see if they had a table for that night, only to be told that they had only extended the offer until 16 February ... not happy! I arranged for the manager to ring me the next day to discuss the situation - he acknowledged that they were originally telling people the offer was extended until the end of February but blamed Living Social for the problem, saying that LS had responded late to the hotel's enquiries and only allowed them to extend it until 16 February. He accepted no responsibility for the mix up, and couldn't even apologise for me being caught in the middle between The Brassey and Living Social - and out-of-pocket. When I rang Living Social to try and sort out the mess they denied all knowledge of what the manager had told me. My advice to The Brassey - don't organise Living Social or any other voucher deals for periods when you know your restaurant will be closed and you can't meet your obligations ... and employ a manager who has some idea of how to deliver good customer service by making at least some attempt to resolve a situation caused by his staff providing incorrect advice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KJSCanberra

As is usual with comments like this, the writer takes a half truth and embellishes it to make a great story which is designed to cause mischief. The comments are made with the protection of anonymity so it is easy to be brave.
1/ The Brassey more than discharged its obligations under the terms and conditions of its contract with the promotional company.
2/ It is difficult to get either a resolution or an apology when you hang up on someone.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Was on a voucher from Getaway Lounge. Arrived late on friday night. Lovely welcome at reception that evening. Full of information, friendly, relaxed.

Rooms nice and tidy. Comfortable. Breakfast staff wonderful and friendly. Good breakfast choices.

Check out - returned swipe cards. Person at reception could do with some "anti-snob" training. Was asked for my voucher, which was already provided at check in. I advised her of that and was told something like 'well, i dont know what she did with it, i dont have it". Really, all that was needed was a "sorry, we dont seem to have it, do you mind if i make another copy."

It left me with a negative last impression of what was a really good experience.

Reason for overall result of average was because of check out experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Overall, my stay at the Brassey was fine - however for the high price charged I'd expect the heat pump to work and the windows cleaned. Black mould and dirt around the inside of the windows detracted greatly from what is a nice room (decent size). I felt some of hotel decor could be updated, and could do without fake flowers in the hallways. I like the historic pictures of Canberra on the wall, however.

There was also mould in the inside of the shower frame. For a city that should be conserving water, the shower heads were a joke, with a more environmental showerhead surely being in the interests of Canberra residents.

Most of the staff were really great, but one can't help but notice one of the senior staff, perhaps owner, who drank a lot, and the rudeness of one of the receptionists who could not even offer a thank you after paying a pretty hefty bill.

To cap things off, I missed my breakfast and an early morning flight because the hotel forgot to give me a wakeup call. No apology was offered.

When I think of Brassey, I think of lack of attention to detail and the brashness of some of the staff (although as I noted above, most were very professional) - this outweighed the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We recently stayed in 2 deluxe queen rooms for 2 nights booked through not1night. I had asked for our rooms to be next to or close to each other and our rooms were across the hall. The location was within walking distance to where we needed to go. As previously mentioned the hotel is also close to the cafes at KIngston. Our rooms were spacious, bathrooms huge (ours included a bath and separate shower).The stairs were narrow and creaked but this was to be expected of the building given its age and history! Loved all the old photos in the hallways, we walked along other hallways just to look at the photos! Had dinner in the restaurant on our first night - food and service was excellent. The buffet breakfast had a good variety, only thing missing was an egg station if you wanted the option for an omelette etc, though didn't ask the staff if this was available as we were satisfied with the choices on offer. Parking is free, which is an advantage over nearby hotels who charge for parking,though carparks are open area. After reading some of the previous reviews I was a bit apprehensive about staying here, but was pleasantly surprised. We would definitely stay here again. Also our experience with not1night was good too considering we amended our original booking from one night to two.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ikedeb
Reviewed 12 December 2011

It is a grand old building, that has been well maintained. We love the location, walking to dine at Kingston or Manuka. We had a standard double, which was fine, not flash but good, clean and comfortable. Great value with brekky included, in the lovely dining room. Receptionist could be more welcoming. We had a lovely weekend without the kids and no one was going to spoil it!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple