“Great place to take your visiting friends!”

Royal Australian Mint
Ranked #14 of 242 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Owner description: Come to the Mint, where every single Australian coin in the pockets of millions of Australians is made! While wandering through the Mint's observation gallery you can look into the coin production factory and marvel at Titan, one of our great family of robots who help out with all the heavy lifting. Spend some time in the theatrette where a video will take you behind the scenes to explain the fascinating process of making coins. Check out the rare and historically significant coins on show from the National Coin Collection, which is held in the vaults of the Mint. Mint your own collectable coin and browse the Mint Coin Shop where you can find great gifts, mementos of your visit or even start your own collection! We offer free public tours twice daily Monday- Friday and three times daily on the weekends.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Whenever I have friends coming from interstate or abroad, I always take them to the Mint. A few days ago over Easter I did exactly that for my Japanese friends. They loved seeing the robots in action, striking their own coins, and sitting down for a coffee. There's always something to do, and many things to buy in the shop. I will keep bringing my friends here, thank you!!

Royal_Aust_Mint, Public Relations Manager at Royal Australian Mint, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

And thank YOU for being such a passionate Mint ambassador! We’re always looking for new ways to share the story of Australia’s coins with visitors, and will be sure to have something new next time you have friends in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 64 reviews
"guided tour"
in 58 reviews
"interesting place to visit"
in 25 reviews
in 13 reviews
"school groups"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Had a great time even though there wasn't any production just about to walk around and see the machinery that's used was in real eye opener and the museum was incredible a lot of history about Australian currency and even though I might be a large collective myself I still learnt a great deal of knowledge and I'm definitely going to go back when I have a bit more time I didn't want to make my friends hang around there for hours while I read everything but I will definitely be making another trip back

Thanks for the review. There is certainly a special extra touch when you can see the factory in operation, but just remember that our multimedia touchscreens can show you all of the different parts of coin-making up close. Oh, and don’t be shy about bringing non-collecting friends with you. Even if they aren’t as passionate as you (yet!), we can guarantee that coins have been a part of their lives. This is something we always love to celebrate in our exhibitions.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

the mint sure is a amazing experience to go and visit, easy parking, usually quiet looks like it most times, interesting place to visit that for sure

Thanks for the review. It’s an honour for us to share the stories behind our nation’s coins with you (and everyone else who comes to visit!)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Interesting history of coins, great to see the factory floor and the sales staff are fantastic. I travel to canberra quite a bit and if i have a moment of spare time i head to the mint to see whats new!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Worth a visit and to take the into tour - probably a 1 hour visit is enough - the exhibition on the history of money and coinage is worth viewing and if you could see the Minting process in action it would be impressive - but if you visit on the weekend not much equipment is operating. Gift Shop has lots of high priced stuff, best value would be paying $3 to mint your own $1 coin - a relatively cheap souvenir of your visit.

Thanks for the review. We’re very proud to offer exhibitions and tours to allow people to enjoy the story of coins in their own way. Of course, we feel the same way about our shop, which is why we stock a range of items to suit all interests and budgets.