“Lovely venue but food lets it down.”
Review of Bookplate

Bookplate
Ranked #137 of 1,496 Restaurants in Canberra
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We are a cafe that believes in the simple and healthy things, done well. This applies to all aspects of our food and beverages that we serve to our customers. We celebrate food and make what we can by hand. From our bar we offer fresh pressed juices, fruit smoothies, classic and craft beers and local wines. Stop by and have a chat with our highly skilled baristas who can provide consistent delicious coffees and teas. We are located within the National Library of Australia, with a warm and inviting indoor dining space as well as an outdoor terrace with magnificent panoramic views of Lake Burley Griffin. We are the Winner of the 2015 Savour ACT Restaurant and Catering Awards of Best Tourist Restaurant.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a lovely space to have breakfast or brunch (that's the extent of my experience). The Leonard French stained glass windows are striking & give the cafe a glow in the morning. The food is average, my muesli was nice, my Ranchero Eggs OK & my wife's mashed avocado disappointing. Still a very pleasant spot to sit & read the paper.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were the first to arrive, out of a group of 14. The girl at "reception" actually came to find us when others arrived! Such service!!
The food was delightful, and the service quite quick.
It's a shame they closed at 3:00 pm, otherwise, we'd probably still be there!.
We will return. This was a good find.

By the way - Take time to peruse the National Library while you're there!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Who would imagine that you’d sit in a cafe surrounded by the stunning art of Leonard French! ? As I’m from Melbourne, I know the work of French’s stained glass ceiling in the Great Hall of the NGV. Indeed who hasn’t laid on the carpet in that Hall and gazed up at the ceiling?
My son took me to the National Library in Canberra for lunch, and as I sat down I saw the windows - all around. They must be Leonard French? A quick search proved they were and I sat there in awe.
Well you’d hope the food would match this standard and gladly it did. A very tasty Moroccan lamb and rice for me, poached eggs and ham on fritters for the son, very enjoyable. But I’d have been just as happy with a slice of bread, just to sit and admire the Windows.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A lovely spot overlooking the water to meet up over coffee and cake.
Dining can be inside or outside.
Lovely selection of delectable cakes.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

The Bookplate is located on the ground floor of The Australian National Library. I always take a break there when I am researching my family history. It's makes a great chai latte and scones with jam and cream. Would recommend.