“The most unhelpful rude staff ever! Booking is impossible and tricky”
Review of Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney Harbour YHA
Ranked #2 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“The most unhelpful rude staff ever! Booking is impossible and tricky”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My experience with YHA Sydney Harbour The Rocks was just awful. The process of booking a room was so incredible difficult and irritating. I started emailing this hostel on the 31 May inquiring about specific dates that I wanted to stay with them and specifying which type of room I wanted. They got back to me saying the room was available and asked me to email them my credit card details which isn't a safe thing to do and the bank recommends that you shouldn't email credit card details. She didn't tell me that the rooms are booking fast and without giving them my details then and there the room can't be held. I then emailed her again on the 2nd of June asking about what the different rooms offer (in terms of bathrooms). Still she didn't tell me the room I was inquiring about was taken, so obviously I thought there was still a vacancy. On the 2nd of June I also mentioned my concern about her request to email all my credit card details and I asked if I could call her up and give them to her. Then, straight after that, still on the 2nd of June I confirm which room I was interested in and the dates (this hadn't changed since my 1st email on the 31st May. Then I get an email from a different person saying there wasn't any rooms left except on for an increased priced of $172!!! Thats crazy, how can a person in the process of booking suddenly miss out? When I queried this I received a rude email saying without emailing my credit card details in the first instance they will book your room without letting you know (perhaps a way to get you to pay more?). In this same email they confused which dates I was staying, making a remark that it was only 1 night and said we can offer your room back to you now but we will upgrade another customer to do so. After this treatment shouldn't it be me who gets the upgrade? So strange. So I try and call 'Debbie' to sort it out. I get another staff member show says I can't talk to her as she is busy, I ask her to call me back in New Zealand and the staff member tells me it is YHA's policy to not call back international guest as it costs them too much! (but I just called them?) So annoyed and irritated by this bad service!

Room Tip: Terrible booking system and unhelpful rude staff
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenniferandco
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Harbour YHA, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Hi

Thank you for your comments and points about your booking at this hostel. YHA has been in touch with you about this to clarify a number of things in your review. We have also used your comments to review bookingour procedures and responses to enquiries.
In common with most hostels and hotels, YHA requires either full payment or a credit card number in order to secure a booking and no availability can be guaranteed until that is done. YHA always advocates that people make online bookings to all our hostels as that ensures a secure, confirmed instant booking. We do not encourage or recommend use of email for this purpose.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The hostel is great, in a brilliant location in The Rocks, just 5min from Circular Quay and the Opera House and about 20min walk to Darling Harbour. The room we had was really clean, with en-suite shower. The kitchen area is kept really clean by guests and staff alike and the staff are really friendly and helpful. The hostel has a great atmosphere and is not like a traditional backpacker hostel. It seems a lot of business people and groups use the hostel, which really shows just how good it is! If you are looking for a hostel in Sydney, this is the place to choose!

Room Tip: We travelled as a couple and chose a four-share, and it was perfect - the en-suite shower was a defi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. It is practically brand new so you almost feel like you're staying in a hotel. The kitchen is immaculate and the rooms are spotless and a great size. I stayed in a five bed dorm with my family as it was such a good alternative to a budget hotel. The ensuite bathroom was great and there was another bathroom/shower room in the corridor right outside our room. The location is fantastic in the old town area of the Rocks so it's in minutes walking distance to Circular Quay. The best thing about the hostel has to be the rooftop area. The view of the Opera House and Sydney bridge are possibly the best in the city and actually exceed most of the views from the Four Seasons Hotel next door! Staff at reception were really nice and helpful. If you can afford to stay here then don't hesitate!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank callaga4
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I like to travel by spending a little to see a lot and throwing in a "splurge" once a week.

This is THE best hostel I have ever stayed at and I've been hostelling for 30 years.
It's in a brilliant location with terrific views of the Opera House & Harbour Bridge. The building is fairly new and built on piers above a "dig" of early settlers of Sydney. The staff is really great: friendly & helpful.
the only complaint I had was the "bag room" has lockers that are VERY expensive .
I spent 20 days here of and on last August, and NEVER had a bad experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The location of this hostel is just one of the many selling points - right in the middle of the Rocks area with bags of history all around it and indeed below it. It is very sympathetically constructed above and around an archaelogical site - it was great to witness this when leaving/entering your room.

The views from the roof terrace were the other major selling point - beautiful views across the harbour to the opera house and around. It's surely as good as the Shangri-La next door but a damn sight cheaper! (although saying that, it's by far the most expensive hostel I've ever stayed in!).

Staff were mixed - some friendly, some not so much, some efficient, others struggling with language/computer skills.

Cooking facilities were pretty good.

Overall, a great option if you want the view. Now all they need is a rooftop pool!

Room Tip: You can book a double room with a view through the hostel website
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maui50
Quepos, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed here for a week, having changed our booking from Sydney Central YHA, where we had an excellent stay some years ago, after reading recent poor reviews.

In many ways you can't beat Sydney Harbour. The location, very close to The Rocks & Circular Quay, is fabulous. The beds are comfortable and all rooms, including dorms have an en suite toilet and shower which is hot, powerful and modern. The soundproofing is excellent. The communal areas are open,spacious and comfortable and the kitchens well equipped and clean. The staff are helpful and there 24 hrs. The clientele are interesting. The groups all seemed to be young: school age up to about 19. On the other hand, the 'individual' travellers were that bit older plus families and all quite diverse.

I do have a few niggles, however.
1) We are traveling with our young children and on the whole we try to book a double room Plus a 4 share dorm next to or opposite each other. Although these rooms were available when I booked, the hostel were unable to guarantee that they would be on the same floor, let alone next to each other, so we ended up sharing a 6 bed dorm, which was a shame.
2) It is an expensive hostel, though the location is great, and you pay for that
3) You can't use the laundry after 9.30pm and indeed it's locked, so you can't even collect dry clothes after that time.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Kenzas73
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Harbour YHA, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Hi Kenzas.
Thank you for your review of Sydney Harbour YHA. I would just like to clarify a point you have made about the rooms you wanted to book at the hostel. This YHA does not have any four share rooms next door or opposite to twin/double rooms (they are in a different building), so it would have been impossible to book this combination for you. The only options were the 6 share you booked (with bunk beds), or a 5 share family room which has a double bed and bunks.
The laundry is locked (and the times are displayed clearly) because there are bedrooms near it and we don't want these guests disturbed after 9.30pm.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Strong features: great location (in front of the opera house and harbour bridge) , new building, clean , good kitchen, great roof terrace.
Weak ones: slightly expensive, no soul with one of the worst YHA reception in Australia, some people working in this hotel so you could be woken up very early by your room mates.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo