“Great day surfing!”
Review of Manly Surf Guide

Manly Surf Guide
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn to surf in Sydney! Manly Surf Guide are a boutique surf guiding company that offer small group surfing tours and surf lessons in Sydney's famous Manly Beach and Sydneys beautiful Northern Beaches. A local business owned and operated by Dee Why’s Ryan Hayfield, Ryan and his hand picked team of local staff have grown up surfing at Dee Why, Manly and Sydney’s Northern Beaches. Our guides know exactly where to go in all conditions. Ryan is one of Sydney’s most sought after surf coaches with over 15 years coaching experience and has been surfing since age 5. Ryan and his team are young, fun and full of energy. Each guide has completed a Level 2 Surf Coaching Course, APOLA (ocean safety), Advanced First Aid and Advanced Resuscitation qualifications. Ryan and his staff are passionate about the ocean and the sport of surfing and pride them selves on giving you an authentic surfing and Australian cultural experience. Manly Surf Guide is a successful company purely relying on word of mouth recommendations from providing a quality personalised service, rather than a large marketing campaign.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked on a beginners surf tour at the start of January and had a brilliant time. It is good value compared with other surfing lessons I saw around Sydney and the ferry over to Manly is a must do in Sydney anyway so no better way than to combine the two! There were 5 of us to one instructor so you feel like you get enough time with them. We were met straight off the ferry and driven up to the beach for the day (there were alot of other people on the beach so don't expect the surf all to yourself). I had tried some surfing about ten years ago so may have had a tiny advantage but Danny made me feel like a pro and I really felt like I progressed throughout the day. It is tiring and not all the group were still going at the end so I would only go if you're comfortable battering through the waves! As a side point I tan easily but forgot to put lotion on the back of my legs and I completely sunburnt them so they should maybe make sure it's passed around at the start and at lunch (50+lotion provided) as I was very sore the next day and still have a wetsuit line nearly 2 months on! All equipment and lunch provided and the instructors are great so if you want to learn to surf get yourself booked in with Manly Surf Guide, you will love it!

Date of experience: January 2014
in 9 reviews
"instructions"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Very late with this review considering I had a lesson with Ryan last February but had to compliment him on how professional and well organised the lesson was. Wanted to join a small group at short notice bit there were not any available so decided to have a one on one lesson with Ryan, he made the lesson fun and I managed to stand up several times, would recommend him to anyone. Cheers mate!

Date of experience: March 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I went on a number of surfing lessons with Ryan and his team during my time in Sydney. It's a great fun experience and the day is really well structured with just the right amount of time in the water. The instructors are all knowledgeable and helpful for surfers of all abilities. It's also really easy to get to from the city as you just have to get the 9am Manly ferry to be there bang on time for the 9.30am meet at Manly wharf. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: January 2014
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Ryan and the crew at Manly Surf Guide were awesome! We had such a fun time learning to surf! They made it so easy for us! We just showed up and they picked us up, transported us to some great surf locations, had everything we needed (wet suits, surfboards, sunscreen, water, food). They had all the bases covered! The price was very affordable and we had a full day learning to surf. They provided us with a yummy lunch and even took pictures for us! Would highly recommend Manly Surf Guide to anyone wanting to learn to surf!

Date of experience: December 2013
1  Thank Tarasnowboards
See more reviews
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Surf camp with Manly Surf Guide was the highlight of my trip to Sydney. I initially booked the 2 days learn to Surf Camp, but it was so much fun, that I had to extend it for another day.
Ryan and its instructors are friendly, relaxed and motivating people. They adapt to each one's personal abilities, still pushing you to your limits (to improve).
Having a student/teacher ratio of 5:1 really helps you getting on the board easily. They also support you paddling out, which is as much fun as surfing back to the beach. Special thanks goes to Danny - paddling out with him was a heap of fun.
Surfing demands a certain level of fitness, but with the help of the instructors standing up is feasible at end of the first day.
I definitely recommend Manly Surf Guide to everybody and I'll be back :)

Date of experience: November 2013