“Mixed 5/10/17”

Ranked #102 of 426 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

We purchased this tour and were very much looking forward to it. On the day unfortunately the tour guide did not turn up and therefore we did not actually get a guided tour- which was very disappointing.
On the plus side the crew of the tall ship were fantastic- very friendly and accommodating. Great to see such a talented young crew! The lunch was tasty and the bubbles helped!
Thanks to the crew for saving the day!

Date of experience: October 2017
in 8 reviews
"heaps"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 13, 2017

We went on this wonderful trip,the weather was just great.I learned so much about Sydney history and some of it shocked me,how people where treated.I'm so happy to live in Sydney,beside the traffic and the cost of living.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed August 6, 2017

I purchased the tour as a gift for my parents (both in their 60’s). I once booked them on a Tall-Ship cruise, but they found it a bit uncomfortable - so I specifically booked this Convict Tour as it was on the Wangi Queen vessel. Shortly after making my booking, I was contacted to advise that the Wangi Queen had been damaged in a storm so the cruise was now on a Tall-Ship – this was OK as the contact was prompt and after I explained that I specifically required the Wangi Queen, my parents were rescheduled for a later date. However, 11 days before the cruise, I was advised there wasn't enough bookings to make the cruise profitable - so it was cancelled, and I was asked to reschedule. I rescheduled for 3 weeks later and was assured – after specifically asking – that I’d receive at least 2 weeks’ notice in the event of yet another cancellation. 4 days - yes, only 4 days before the cruise, I was notified that the latest booking had also now been cancelled due to a lack of numbers. Again, no empathy or offer of compensation, just a request for a new preferred date. The cruise/tour itself was apparently OK - but I wouldn't recommend cancelling other plans or declining invitations to other events for this cruise, as you can only rest assured your cruise will actually go ahead about 3 days out from the date you've booked and paid for.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed January 2, 2017 via mobile

The highlight of the trip was having Howard give us a tour of Goat Island, he is a star and is very friendly, knowledgable and informative.

Overall this was very a disorganised event and although you think you have paid for a tall ship adventure - you have not. Lunch consisted of chicken and mayo wraps (advertised as your choice of beef, lamb or chicken rolls). The wraps were not cold and were siting out on the deck in plastic containers sweating in 38 degree heat when we boarded. The guide started the day by subjecting us to a personal tirade about plastics and how he hated them. He then with the stamina of a nazi general made sure everyone brave enough to eat warm chicken and mayo recycled correctly and drew unnecessary attention to people who did not.

When we arrived at Goat Island, The nazi general rationed the water giving everyone only 1/2 of a 500ml bottle of water (one between two) for an 75 minute walk on an island in 38 degree heat. He kept yelling at people who wanted a bottle to themselves (which they had actually paid for in their tickets) thats enough, thats all you need. You dont need anymore. I guess he was giving us the real convict experience. Thankfully we planned ahead and had our own water with us.

When the Goat island tour finished there were several people not feeling well I put this down to not enough water being provided. The nazi general then singled out an American lady of Chinese descent by yelling where's the asian lady, where's the asian lady (who happened to be sitting right in front of him) and told her and the rest of the boat through his yelling that she should have drunk more water if she didnt want to be sick.

I had to make the deck hand open the windows on the boat as it was boiling hot and this was also contributing to peoples discomfort. As she was opening them her comments were 'I should have done this 2 hours ago - Im not sure why I didn't'. I guess some people shouldn't work in service or tourist industries. Without Howard this day would have been really awful.

Date of experience: December 2016
2  Thank Orangetablet
See more reviews
Reviewed December 17, 2016

As you prepare for your voyage back in time to the early settlement years of Sydney Harbour we were graced with a lovely old girl who was able to transport us to yester year past. (some imagination required). Crew were friendly but don't be late or you will miss the boat.... The tour itself was very interesting and the guide "Esther" was quite knowledgeable in relaying information concerning "Goat Island" and its wonderful past.
Don't forget to wear sunscreen, take a hat to wear and water to drink... Oh also a camera for the superb photos that you will get of the harbour. Wonderful day.

Date of experience: December 2016