“Well located, clean modern room, noisy aircondtioner”

Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney
Ranked #61 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Well located in Kings Cross, near train station, helpful staff, near to the city. I stayed for 3 nights for business and was generally pleased with the hotel. Arrived late in the evening, put the air-conditioner on as the room was quite warm. The air-conditioner fan was very loud and after a while realised I could not sleep with the noise. I phoned reception and reported it and the friendly staff member offered to move me to another room. I declined as I didn't feel like moving room at that time of the night and asked they look into it the next day, and she said they would. I turned it off and eventually went to sleep. Nothing was done about it and thankfully I was able to turn it off each night before I went to sleep. I was disappointed with the lack of follow-up. I ordered the lasagne for dinner on my final night and it arrived barely warm. I reported it and they eventually bought me another, warm this time. Not sue I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Daletnurse
Gareth L, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Daletnurse,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your honest feedback,

On behalf of the team, I would like to apologise for the experience that you had during your stay last month at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I would like to assure you that this is not acceptable service standards at the hotel and we will take your feedback on board and follow up on the situation.

We are continually looking to improve on the guest experience at the hotel and your review allows us to work on the service and facilities of the hotel to ensure that these are always at an exceptional level.

Thanks again for your feedback, we would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Great hotel for the price especially if you get the tower above the fifth floor for awesome views of the Harbor Bridge and Opera House. Our tower room was clean and well appointed and equipped. The staff was extremely friendly and competent. The King’s Cross railway station is next door to the hotel. Plenty of restaurants in the area. We especially enjoyed Watermoon as well as MacLeay Street Bistro and Anong restaurants. Avoid at all costs Mere Catherine.

Room Tip: Go for the tower above the fifth floor for harbor views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear braidmacd,

It is great to hear that our team at Holiday Inn Potts Point left a positive impression on your stay with us! Your review highlights that you spent some time discovering the surrounding area during your stay, and I completely agree so many dining choices! Watermoon is a great place to dine if you are after mouth-watering and truly traditional Japanese cuisine. Thank you very much for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to enjoy more of the breathtaking harbour views and great cuisine in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Nice hotel. But out on location, but theres a train station right next to the hotel. This does not generate any noise. The transport system in sydney is very good and I'd recommend it to anyone. Theres some restaunts in the vicinity and lots of convenicane stores. The hotel is modern and is alright but nothing too exciting

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank manday24

Dear manday24,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The great thing about being located right next to the train station is the seamless access into the CBD, only one stop away. Whether you are visiting for a few weeks or a couple of days, staying so close to the city allows you to enjoy Sydney’s renowned attractions with ease.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you at the hotel next time you are in Sydney.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Holiday Inn Potts Point is a hotel well past its prime.

I’m not sure what the life-cycle of a hotel is, but this one is in its death throes.

Its stands at the atop the Über – edgy and slightly risqué Kings Cross area of Sydney dressed in a string vest and shorts, when all around have moved on to long pants and cool evening wear.

It’s the sort of hotel that when you walked in you wouldn’t be surprised to read over the reception desk: “The Holiday Inn Potts Point Welcomers all Members of The National Vacuum Owners Association to Their Yearly Dinner and Dance.”

I spent one night here on business and frankly the few hours I was there was more than enough. The room on the 1st floor was so old and tired it was almost in a coma.

Despite spending an age trying, I couldn’t get the air-conditioning correct. So the room was unforgivingly humid and clammy. The bed is so uncomfortable it could have featured in a Monty Python sketch a-la: “The Spanish Inquisition.”

There is nothing relaxing about the place at all. In fact the entire experience sets you on edge if anything.

Its only up-side if you can call it that is, for central-Sydney it’s not that expensive. I think my bill for one night with breakfast came to $200 dollars (AUD)

In life as in hotels you are faced with choices.

Choose in haste- repent at leisure!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear PerthMovers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback on Holiday Inn Potts Point. Your comments will assist us to strive towards exceeding our guest’s expectations.

You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of upgrading our Air Conditioning system throughout all guest rooms of the hotel, to ensure a more comfortable stay for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Nice hotel that has a good restaurant. The location was good as we were able to travel by train to the city and Bondi Junction for the shops. The staff were very helpful. The hotel had a regular bus pick up for the airport which was useful for the trip back to the UK.
We travel between the UK and Australia every few months and like to try alternative hotels, after this stay we would choose to stay here again.Good value and nice.

Room Tip: Have a Harbour View room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anne Y
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We have just stayed in the Holiday Inn Potts Point for two nights. The hotel reception was friendly and efficient. We were upgraded to a Harbour View room which was comfortable and quiet even though we were next to the lifts. We had two dinners, in the restaurant as the meals were so nice, so much so we would choose to eat here again when in this part of Sydney. The train station is also very handy and the best way to get to the CBD.
Parking was easy and fairly priced.
Another good choice of hotel for business or leisure we would say.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Toptown
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here last week as part of a Contiki, the hotel itself is excellent! Very clean and spacious hotel; rooms are very clean, very spacious, well equipped (flat screen tv, phones and voice message system, minifridge etc). Loved the bathroom! Came with shower amenities as well. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Value I can't comment on as I didn't pay with Holiday Inn Potts Point so don't know what the price is for the room (as I said before I stayed here on a Contiki package). Free 20 min per day of wifi. Loved the courtyard/seating area outside! The location is great in the daytime, Kings Cross Station literally a few seconds from the door ... not so sure about night time, although I did go out around 9ish across the road to get some dinner, that wasn't bad, (I recommend mexican place Guzman Y Gomez by the way with the bright yellow sign, that was really nice and affordable too), I was too scared to go to the train station because I heard Kings Cross is dodgy "red-light", but I hope someone can prove me wrong about the train station because otherwise the Holiday Inn Potts Point is great!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo