“Would definitely stay again!”
Review of DeVere Hotel

DeVere Hotel
Ranked #138 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
NSW
“Would definitely stay again!”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel is in a great location, a quiet part of macleay Street, with a bus stop to Central railway station directly outside and another bus stop to nearby Circular Quay opposite. A Woolies supermarket is also just over the road.
We are a retired couple from country NSW, in Sydney for a short city escape. On our arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff who then offered us an upgrade on our standard room at no extra cost. Although small, the compact room had everything we needed, including a writing desk. The bed was firm and comfortable and there was a choice of pillows (hard/soft, fat/flat) in the cupboard if you didn't like the one provided on the bed. Bed linen, towels etc were of good quality though with no top sheet and only a doona, it was a little too warm for a mid-summer's night in Sydney. The window could be opened a short way for fresh air if one didn't want the air conditioner. The lift was a little dodgy so beware when getting in/out as the door closes very fast! When we asked at the reception desk when we were leaving, if we could leave our luggage at the hotel (check out time was 10:30am and our train didn't leave until late afternoon), the staff on the desk were most obliging - again, no extra cost.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sheepfm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed in a single room with bath and shower in november 2011 for $170 a night. To my dismay after showering I discovered there were 7 x1-2 cm holes in the bath towel. Also a few mm holes in the sheet. When I complained to the manager he said to ask for a new towel . I wrote a letter of complaint but received no reply

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank jenine_12

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here for 3 nights. We booked a double room through Travel Republic, and when we checked in, we had been assigned a twin room! The guy on the desk showed us that it was TR who had requested the twin, and as they had no available doubles, we had to stay in the twin for that night. It was very clean, but the shower was abysmal, which was rubbish as we had spent two weeks in a camper van and were really looking forward to a long hot shower! Also the walls were wafer thin, and we heard many questionable noises that night...

The next day, after spending all day wandering around Sydney, we got back to the hotel to discover that we had a double room on the other side of the hotel, with our bags moved, as promised. Although smaller, with no kitchen, the shower was much better, and it was much quieter at night!

You need to get up early for breakfast, as it runs out. I need more than half a cup of coffee to start the day!! Stay away from the danishes...

All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful, and checking out at 5am to catch our plane was no bother. For what we paid, I was quite happy and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenBorsuk
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Devere Hotel
Considering the price I paid, I didn't get a lot for my money. It was over new year I stayed and the price quadrupled. I paid £250 a night for 3 of the nights for a single room (single bed) with a shower and toilet. There was a small fridge but this meant there was no space for draws. I had a wardrobe and that was it. So my cloths were on the small unit above the fridge the entire time.
I paid more to be on the quiet side, overlooking Elizabeth Bay (just) and had a peaceful nights sleep. Although housekeeping started hoovering in the corridor by 8am and unless the Do Not Disturb sign is on the door, expect a knock by half 8!
TV was pointless as flat to the wall, 7 foot high and pointing up and out the window. So couldn't watch unless standing on my (single) bed.
Air con worked fine although the room across from me had to have theirs replaced & maintenance was banging around from 8.30am.
It's 5 mins walk from Kings Cross which is where all the bars and clubs are. But more importantly where the train station is. This area is perfectly safe during the day despite all the rumours. There's a few odd characters about but you get that in every city. At night it comes alive and you get drunk people. But nothing you wouldn't get in London or New York.
You don't get a safe in your room but a box is available (free) at reception.
Internet is expensive (like everything in Sydney!!!) 4 bucks an hour.
You can walk to Sydney Opera House in 20 mins or Curcular Quay in 25 mins. It's a long walk up hill the last 10 mins on the way back though. Although the 311 bus does go and stop right outside the hotel for Circular Quay. Not very frequent though & ignore the timetable.
If you're on a budget and get it for less than £50 a night then it's worth it. Else don't bother with these rooms as not enough room to swing a cat (and I mean that literally!).

• Stayed January 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for a week over New Years Eve. It was one of the only hotels we could find as we booked 3 months in advance. Staying here was a mistake. It was the most expensive hotel of our trip due to the time of the year, and it was a dump. Firstly, we found a live cockroach in our room that I killed. As I was leaving my room the next morning I informed the night manager that the cockroach was there, and that not only did it need to be removed, but we needed to discuss this issue. When we returned from our day activities, it was still there!!! Then, there was the day that they didn't give us clean bath towels, and when I asked for towels I was told the hotel ran out. What type of hotel runs out of towels? When I asked the manager about towels, he told me if I expected better service I should have stayed a better hotel. So, I'm passing along his advice. Stay at a better hotel!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RM B
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Not our favourite hotel on our 5 week Australian trip, but adequate. Although we used tripadvisor to find the best deal on-line it was the most expensive, and not the best hotel we stayed at. We heard cheaper rates being quoted on the phone by reception staff. However, Potts Point is a very attractive area with good restaurants, cafes for breakfast and with a reasonable bus service to the City centre. It took us 45 minutes to walk to the Opera House past Wooloomooroo and through the Botanic Gardens which is very pleasant. Room was basic, small with a tiny window overlooking the adjacent property.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
perth
Reviewed 1 January 2012

A little bit expensive might because of the Xmas period but very good location,tidy, and double bedroom

• Stayed December 2011