“Very Efficient Helpful Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macleay Hotel

Macleay Hotel
Ranked #42 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Kent
“Very Efficient Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on tour of Oz. Comfy Rooms. Everything thought of in terms of facilities , cross between Hotel & Apartment. Location in Potts Point is not far from Seedy area, but plenty of expensive properties & Restaurants as well. Thai Restaurant that is supposed to be really good is next door.
Staff go the extra mile to help. Buses & Trains easy to get nearby. 15 mins on Bus to Circula Quay area. 10 mins on Train to Bondi Beach!
delis & Supermarkets opposite.
Cant fault it overall NB:. Swimming Pool was being refurbed at time of visit(but as Raining non stop no prob!)

Room Tip: Ask for Opera House View!
2 Thank Peewee123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here for the New Year's Eve celebrations in order to avoid the crowds rushing to get home. I had booked for 2 adults and 2 kids and they tried to charge me an additional $15 for the kids stay. I had to show them the T&C that kids won't be charged if using the same bed.

Rooms are so dated, dirty and bathrooms looked that they've only been painted over. Kids were scared to use it.

I'd look for another hotel next year!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank madman101
Hamilton, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at the MacLeay at the end of November 2011. We very much appreciated the flexibility of the reservations staff in juggling our dates and accommodating our needs. The room was clean, pleasant, airy, with a great view of Sydney Harbor. We most heartily endorse the MacLeay as a traveler-friendly stop.

Room Tip: The Harbor view is worth it, especially if you are a first-timer in Sydney.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike M
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel twice -Once prior to our Cruise and again at the end of it.
After a long flight with Emirates (great airline) we arrived at the Macleay hotel at 9.30 in the morning hoping to dump our bags and check it later! The hotel were great and said if we waited 20 mins we could check in which was great because we could shower and change before hittting the town.
The front deck staff were very helpful and nothing it seem was to much bother for them.
The rooms themself were clean comfortable and in good decorative order. They were serviced everyday and the tea coffee and milk replenished.
The Hotel is a 25 min walk from the Oprea house and the Bridge with Circular Quay sitting between the two as the transport hub. -- Buses Ferries and trains.
When we stayed the swimming pool was being repaired and therefore not in use however the hotel by way of compensation agreed to throw in free internet connection which was great. As for the price it was by Sydney standards very reansonable.
In short great hotel great location and great staff.

3 Thank manumartin
North Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I booked a few nights here for myself and my family while on vacation in Sydney. Prior to our arrival, I had to adjust our schedule and the staff was very willing to make the necessary corrections over the phone without making the international call too long.

Upon arrival I was overly pleased with the friendliness of the staff. They took the time to explain everything to me and make sure we were settled in properly.

Being from the United States, I was shocked at first at the smaller size of the rooms (506), but after some looking around, found that they are on par with Australian hotel room sizes. There was plenty of room for our luggage though, and also a kitchenette with a small fridge and microwave.

We traveled to New Zealand after our stay, and the hotel was willing to store the luggage that we did not need until we returned, even though we were fully checked out. That was very convenient and appreciated.

Our room appeared to be freshly renovated, but other rooms were still in the process of updating.

There is a charge for internet (which again, is fairly standard in Australia), but if you're using for a small amount of time it is not an issue.

There are two favorite things about this hotel for us...the location and the roof!

Do yourself a favor, when there, ask for the roof key! The roof is typical in that it houses the hvac and other mechanical items, but has plenty of room to walk around and offer spectacular 360 degree views of the Sydney downtown, Opera House, Harbour Bridge, and surrounding areas. My wife is a photographer and spent many hours up there!

The location was spectacular as well. The Potts Point area is very quiet, clean, and safe. There are plenty of small cafes, restaurants, shops, and a Woolworth's grocery store across the street. The MacLeay is only a 10 or so minute walk to the King's Cross train station, which will take you anywhere in the city. The Opera House and Botanical Gardens are a 20 or so minute walk through the Wooloomaloo neighborhood, which was also nice.

Speaking of King's Cross (starting south at Darlinghurst St.), don't let the bad reviews of the area scare you. I was a bit concerned after reading some reviews since we were using the trains for transportation, but my fears were allayed after seeing it in person. The neighborhood is a mix of some nice nightclubs, small souvenir shops, and some adult stores. During the day, the area is full of regular people. At night, the crowd is younger and there for the nightclubs. There were a few seedy characters here and there, but the most they ever did was ask for some change. If you politely refused, they left you alone. We walked through there at all times of the day and night and never had any issues. There is another nice neighborhood south of King's Cross as well with some nice restaurants.

I would gladly stay at the MacLeay again and appreciate the very friendly staff!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank tjhess74
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Large room (maybe 12 or 14 feet square): comfortable queen bed with nightstands to both sides and a table at the foot of the bed with aisle space between the two. High, small square tub with shower in adequate bathroom. The small kitchen along entry hall met all our needs with the electric kettle, toaster, refrigerator and microwave, and a full complement of flatware, plates, bowls, and cups and glasses. We were able to buy groceries at the Woolworth grocery across the street and eat breakfast in. Occasionally we bought microwavable dinner too. Coffee, tea, milk, and sugar provided. Our room on the 4th floor (of about 8) was adequately quiet above the street. Only four rooms on each floor face the street. The desk staff was very helpful. Only negative was stained carpets (however, note kitchen facilities!). Excellent security provided through 24-hour desk staff and electronic access to your floor only in elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing Macleay street. Four rooms on each floor face Macleay.
2 Thank Roadrunner5527
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I read alot of reviews on Trip Advisor when I was choosing accommodation in Sydney and decided to book at the Macleay Serviced Apartments on the strength of the reviews here. It was the first time I'd ever done that (I normally pick something out of a guide book and confirm with a review). I was not disappointed. I was absolutely thrilled with the view that greeted me every morning and every evening when I came home. The bridge and opera house are THE iconic symbols of Sydney and having a view of both imprinted on my mind is a lovely souvenir and definitely worth the extra dollars to get it.

In addition, the staff at Macleay were super helpful. Every question I asked them they answered cheerily and I had a real feeling that they wanted to make their guests' visits to Sydney the best they could be.

The room itself is absolutely adequate rather than luxurious but it was clean and had useful facilities that mean I could save a bit of money by having breakfast there.

Potts Point is a lovely location because it's easy to get to a train station (Kings Cross is 10 mins walk away), you can walk to the botanical gardens and round to the opera house (about 45 mins) or catch a bus right opposite the hotel. In addition, there's a fast bus to Bondi as well as a bus that goes to the smaller, pretty coves up at Watson's bay.

I definitely recommend this as a base for a Sydney stay. I was there five days/four nights and I certainly didn't tire of the view!

If you're a light sleeper, you'll need to keep the window shut and I'd recommend earplugs, as Macleay Street is a busy road but really don't let this put you off. It's just worth knowing about it.

Room Tip: Given that you're probably going to be paying for a view, I'd ask to be as high up as possib...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo