“Great for mixing business with pleasure.”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #10 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently stayed here for the third time in six months for business and I think the measure of a hotel is consistency and I can say this hotel is consistent, consistently good. The staff from the front door, reception, restaurant and housekeeping are very helpful and attended to any requests that arose.

Would recommend the restaurant for breakfast and dinner especially if they have their main/entree/desert special dinner deal as the choices were numerous and the food excellent. The waiter who served me was attentive without being in your face and very happy to recommend from the menu and also matched my main choice with a nice glass of red.

The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed and their is a good size desk if you need to do some work.

Location is excellent for those wishing to shop or do a bit sightseeing and it is an easy walk to catch a ferry on the harbour or just wander around the rocks precinct (lots of restaurants and bars to choose from) or visit the opera house (recommend the opera outdoor bar, great views of the city and harbour bridge).

Although I was travelling on business this hotel makes it a pleasurable stay and I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rossifam

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We had a good stay at the Radisson and enjoyed where it was positioned. We had a cheaper Atrium room, which although a little dark offered excellent value. The staff were very helpful and kept our room very clean. We enjoyed the gym and spa facilities, although it was sometimes difficult to get a place in the popular jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Atrium room is much cheaper
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times before and had small problems before but because of its location have overlooked them. I checked in early knowing the room probably wouldn't be ready and they said I could leave my bags with them and they would be sent up when it was ready. Arrived later to an interrogation at the front desk, who I was and did I have a male companion probably because my name appeared to be male and then asked for my credit card which had already been scanned once before.
That out of the way I went to my room to find no luggage. I phoned down to find out what had happened to it and was told they would look into it and let me know. After waiting 15 mins and no phone I was on my way down to the desk to find out whereupon I met someone on the way up with my luggage. Two hours later I got a call to apologize about them having mislaid my luggage.
This room was supposed to be an upgrade, I pulled back the curtains and found a tiny balcony with peeling paint, the veneer on the TV cabinet was worn away. I tried the curtain on the other window and had a lovely outlook on an airconditioning unit below. Marks on the walls and the tiles in the bathroom.
I did not use the hotel restaurant as I had had problems before and did not want to repeat the experience.
On booking out I was given my bill with an extra charge of $11 for using a credit card, they had never done this before. I asked if they now took cash the lady at the front desk said we take cash or eftpos which doesn't have a charge, I was furious because no one had told me about the extra charge or that you could use eftpos.
To top it off today I get a letter charging me extra for minibar use, I did not use anything from the minibar except for tea bags. I don't drink alcohol because I have an allergy so this charge appears to be made hoping you will not challenge them.
There are only 2 pluses with this hotel: its location and free internet access.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank RobJAdelaide
Radiss0nBluH0tel, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear RobJAdelaide,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel.

I was disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced when you returned to collect your key, your luggage was not in your room and your dissatisfaction with the room upgrade. Be assured, I have asked the Front Office Manager to carry out further training with his team regarding the importance of having a “Yes I Can” attitude at all times as well as making sure all bags are delivered immediately to rooms that have been checked in. In relation to your room upgrade, this was one of our Studio Spa Suites which features a Juliet Balcony and a spa bath although due to our location in Sydney CBD this only allows for city views. I also note your disappointment regarding the 2% credit card surcharge. A credit card surcharge is a common practice in many industries, including the hospitality industry. However as an alternative we do offer complimentary eftpos facilities for our guests and I apologise that you were not informed of this option by our receptionist. I have again asked the Front Office Manager to speak with his team so that all alternatives are offered.

Further to this I note your comments regarding your room not being in perfect condition. The Hotel has a program in place which focuses on improvements being made to our highly used rooms. I have asked the Chief Engineer and the Executive Housekeeper to ensure this room is added to the program and the problems evident are rectified immediately.

I was also disappointed to learn that your account was charged incorrectly for mini bar twice. Whilst I was pleased to learn that the charge has been refunded, I have spoken with the Food and Beverage Manager and asked that he ensure his staff are more diligent in accurately checking guest rooms prior to charging in an effort to prevent this from occurring again in the future. I apologise for the disappointment and these matters caused you during your stay and thank you for bringing them to our attention.

RobJAdelaide, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when you next travel to Sydney.

Peter Tudehope
Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney
61-2-82140100 .

Reviewed 13 February 2012

This hotel has just become my favourite place to stay in Sydney. The hotel is a genuine 5 star establishment but doesn't charge the exorbitant rates demanded by some of the bigger chain hotels in Sydney. Whilst it has all of the features of a five star hotel its staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and provide enough room and the location only two minutes walk from Circular Quay means that you are never far from a good restaurant or a great view of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. The breakfast at $29/$39 was a little on the expensive side but this is somewhat compensated by the reasonable cost of the rooms. In my view it's hard to go wrong here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2012

The hotel room is one of the best,most luxurious (for the price) I have ever stayed in. The size of the bathroom was equal to the room size and had a separate bathroom and bathtub.
The location is bang in downtown,just 2 mins walk to George street or a 5 min walk to the quay.
The room has all the amenities one can think of. Best of all they have free WiFi which is always good. The bed was very comfortable and soft. The staff is helpful and a friendly bunch.
Definitely recommend, We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This hotel is ideally located near the Rocks (great restaurants and bars) and is near lots of shopping. The room was nice and the Wifi worked great. All of the people from the bell men, to housekeeping, to the gentlemen at the front desk were extremely helpful and courteous. Actually I found the management extremely helpful because we were delayed an extra day in Sydney because volcano ash had shut down the airport; the manager went out of his way to find us a room at the hotel even though they were fully booked. The concierge also gave us some great suggestions for eating. If you have the budget I'd recommend the Quay and Wildfire for dinner, the Belgium Beer Cafe for drinks, and the Argyle for really great Spanish tapas.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SonicDeathMonkey72
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The hotel is ideal if you are coming from the airport and get the train to Wynyard - it is literally 5 mins walk from the station, which is also on George St. The hotel itself is nice - what you would expect for Radisson, with good sized rooms and great services, such as the business centre, gym etc. We were unfortunate that we were on the 1st floor, so outside was slightly noisy, and we didnt have much luck with our neighbours, who were very noisy on the 1st night too! There was also an issue with the hotel which I won't go into as it is unnecessary - it was rectified effectively by the staff.

Overall, worth a look into if staying in Sydney.

Room Tip: Try and get a room high up
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jmcd31
Radiss0nBluH0tel, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Jmcd31,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney.

I was concerned to learn of the issue you experienced with noise coming from a neighbouring room. I have requested that the Duty Manager and Security teams to increase the frequency of their floor inspections to ensure that noise and other disturbances from other guests and surrounding rooms are limited as we want our guests to have an enjoyable stay. For any future stays, please do not hesitate to ask our reception team if you wish to stay on a higher floor so that this can be arranged. I apologise for any disruption this may have caused.

Jmcd31, this aside we hope to welcome you back to Radisson Blu in the near future.

Peter Tudehope