New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks

Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks
Ranked #48 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Perth
“Location one of few positives”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Whenever I see a hotel on Trip Advisor with a strongly positive rating, lots of good reviews, and a handful of negatives, I must admit I wonder if people are just being a bit picky. But this experience has shown me that it is indeed possible to have a terrible stay in an otherwise well-regarded hotel. The only thing stopping me from giving it one star is that the location is absolutely brilliant- right on the doorstep of The Rocks and Circular Quay, within spitting distance of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. We had one Saturday to spend in Sydney, and the markets at the Rocks are a long-time favourite- in that respect, this hotel was ideal.

The staff at the hotel were also excellent- extremely courteous and helpful.

Besides those two positives, it was an awful stay for me- and interestingly, I can see that many of the poor/ terrible ratings were from people who stayed in similar circumstances to us- families using the rollaway beds in what I understand may be older rooms on the second floor.

I booked a room with a queen bed and two rollaway singles through Wotif- I was travelling with my mother, toddler and baby, and that configuration suited us perfectly. After an excellent check-in in the lovely lobby, we took the elevator up to our room, where we found it rather lacking in some ways. The paintwork was shabby in places, and there was a loud ventilator grille above the door that droned all night. I believe it was connected to the heating unit, so if we'd turned that off it probably would have been okay- except that the room was freezing, and with two small kids we didn't want it to get any colder. By the next morning, the temperature had finally come up to a warmer point.

There was only one rollaway bed rather than two, but the hotel had provided a separate baby cot as requested, so that was fine. There wouldn't have been room for two anyway- the rollaway was jammed right in the middle of the living area, between the sofas and the television, which prevented us from using that space to sit and talk or watch TV. It was a one bedroom apartment, so we hadn't expected a second room for the bed, but we hadn't expected things to be so tight.

The queen sized bed in the main bedroom was great, though there was no cover on the quilt (just a sheet wrapped around it), and my mother and daughter had a very good night's sleep in there. The bathroom facilities were also very good; the kitchen was okay.

It wasn't until I got the baby to sleep in the cot and everyone else in the apartment was sound asleep that I went to get in the rollaway bed, and discovered that it was absolutely unusable. It was rock solid with no give at all, and all of the rigid springs were protruding up through the top. With everyone in our room already asleep after a very long day and all the lights out, I couldn't call to complain and request a replacement, though the staff assured me the next morning that this would have been provided immediately (I'm sure it would have been, but circumstances just did not allow for me to do that, so I acknowledge that my own situation prevented me from seeing what kind of response the hotel would have had).

Instead, I tried folding extra blankets on top of the mattress, but it was still too hard to lie on without shoulder or back pain. I contemplated putting the blankets on the floor, then decided to sleep on the couch instead. The couch had a sag in the middle and wasn't comfortable, particularly with my knees hanging off the edge, but it was softer than the rollaway, and by that point it was the best I could do. I had a pretty terrible night's sleep, as you can imagine.

The next morning upon checking out, I complained about the bed. The staffer I spoke to was vaguely apologetic and mentioned that they were planning on refurbishing some of the rooms, and they knew some of the rollaway beds needed to be replaced. I would love to know, in that case, why on earth they are still being provided to customers who are paying good money for a place to sleep. I did not pay my tariff to sleep on a couch- if that was the quality of accommodation I was seeking, I could have paid significantly less money for it. I was not offered any kind of restitution for the bad experience.

Back to the positives- the staff happily organised for us to catch the shuttle bus to the airport for our afternoon flight, and were able to store our luggage for us for the whole time we were out. We had a lovely morning wandering around the Rocks, and were happy with the location and the service that allowed us to leave our bags for the day.

However, given the experience I had, I would not return to this hotel with my family for future stays. I would also not recommend it to people travelling with children or requesting the rollaway beds for any other reason- unless the management advise that they have replaced the existing ones with something a few shades softer than sheet metal.

Room Tip: Check the rollaway beds as soon as you arrive if using and request an immediate replacement if they...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank C G
Ravi S, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear C G
Your comments are noted with thanks. We are in the process of replacing all our rollaway beds, and it was pleasing to hear you enjoyed the Rocks area of Sydney.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here in May 2012. (one night stay prior to boarding P & O cruise.). Great location right in The Rocks. Clean, basic accommodation. Staff were helpful. We stayed in a lower room floor with no view, upper levels probably enjoy lovely view of harbour and Bridge.
Breakfast in the buffet was small but adequate.
No worries about fire safety. During our stay there was a false alarm accompanied by loud announcements directly into the room via intercom. Annoying false alarm, but good system.
Would I return? No reason not to, although prefer to seek out new experiences so probably wouldn't.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnrod
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Excellent location, right in the Rocks area of Sydney and within close walking distance to the bridge, the Opera house, circular quay. A charming hotel made up of old Sydney houses and converted into a very good hotel. The staff were excellent, very helpful with everything we asked them. If you like seafood try the excellent Fish at the Rocks restaurant which is just around the corner from this hotel. We had a small patio outside our room with an incredible view of Sydney harbour bridge and also a small kitchen area in the room so it more like staying in a studio apartment.

2 Thank Bellicious
Ravi S, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Bellicious,
Thank you for your kind words about our team and the hotel, we are pleased you enjoyed your time in Sydney with us.
Kind Regards
Ravi Satyavolu
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

If you want to stay right in The Rocks - our room looked right out on the back of Suzanne's Place - this is a good spot. Not as pricey as some places without sacrificing ensuite facilities. The full kitchen was helpful, too. The room was very clean and of a generous size. A guest laundry was a plus. Staff were generally very helpful and friendly.

1 Thank Carol253
cambridge,New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I booked a harbour view studio through AIirNZ,and when I booked I asked for twin beds.On arrival it was a queen bed and a sofa bed-not ideal and not what we wanted.Very helpful staff arranged for a rollaway bed to be placed in our room,explaining that the hotel had very few twin bed rooms and if I had booked on the hotel website this would have been explained.When i booked through AirNz it was obvious that AirNZ had a hold on the available rooms as the hotel website showed them as booked.One month later those same rooms were available,but I was already booked and paid through AirNZ.It's a good basic hotel,though the bed making was not brilliant and there was no mattress cover under the sheet on the rollaway bed.However it's got a great location,great views,and very helpful,polite desk staff-the hotel's best asset.I suspect that the hotel is due for a makeover soon.

Room Tip: Harbour view please!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear SueC
Thank you for your feedback all comments help us to improve our overall service standards and
we love hearing that our desk staff are a great asset for the hotel as well as our location.
Kind regards
Ravi Satyavolu
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at Rendezvous prior to a cruise. It was a great location for cruise passengers as it was located within walking distance of the cruise terminal. Staff was very helpful and very friendly. The hotel was comfortable and had great views of the city including the Opera House but a little expensive. The downfall was that the toilet seat was broken and not fixed when we brought it to the hotels attention. The room was an efficiency unit and did have a stove and microwave which could be helpful if you wanted to cook. Management really upset us as we had booked the room with a free breakfast but the management would not provide the breakfast unless we paid for it ($19 AUD) and submiitted a claim to our travel agent. We booked the hotel direct. Great workers - poor management.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
3 Thank JimK42
Ravi S, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear JimK42
Thank you for your feedback your comments assist us to make improvements.
Regards
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Rendezvous is ideally positioned in the Rocks area of Sydney with views of the bridge. The staff were very helpful friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived (at 0700). We were given use of the spa area to freshen up until our room was ready.
The room was large, clean and well equipped with a full kitchen area. The large balcony had views over sydney and that bridge. Breakfasts were the usually buffet style, not much variety but sufficient. They seemed pricey but not compared to the rest of Sydney.
We would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple