“great time on a budget”

Ranked #9 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“great time on a budget”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at Hotel 59 for a week in February.
George and his family run this B and B efficiantly and with friendliness.
We stayed in a Family room, and it was comfotable, roomy, and had all the comforts, including efficient air conditioning, that is often missing in more expensive rooms we have stayed in.
If you dont have your own transport, it is only 250 metres from Kings Cross railway station.
However the best part of this stay was the food.
Included in your room price was a, whatever you wanted, brekfast cooked up by George's dad. Yummy.
For dinner the Two Seats Thai next door, and a Pizza restaurant (10 metres away on the corner), both served delicious food at an incredably low price.
Thanks to George and his team, and the two restaurants our trip was very enjoyable and under budget.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear BusterNewzealand

Reading your review has given us great joy, that it is written by someone as well travelled like yourself it is a real compliment.
We appreciate all your possitive comments and are glad to see that hotel 59 met all your expectations of an affordable hotel.
I will pass on your comments regarding the breakfasts to my dad he will be very happy.
From all of us at hotel 59 we wish you all the best for your future travels.
We will be waiting for your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Management ranges between gracious and spiteful. Killed the biggest cockroach I've ever seen the very first night. Locked out of my room one night, called the After Hours Emergency number and waited. Another guest let me inside the hotel, but manager never showed up. Next day he says "I just didn't want to be bothered", it was only about 9pm when I called, and he lives a 5 minute drive away. It wasn't a bother to charge me for the room that night, though. Spent the night on the floor outside my door. Vocal homophobes in the Cafe were a big disappointment, especially during Mardi Gras when guests pay more for a room; quite appalling. Otherwise, breakfast was very, very good. Place has plenty of charm, but if you need assistance anytime after the office closes, you're just out of luck. If that is a risk you are willing to take, then Hotel59 might work out for you. Otherwise, I would suggest that you spend a few dollars more to have the security of night desk staff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank WilliamSF
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear William
i am not sure what to say to this reply other than i am totally shocked.
The guest did stay at hotel 59 in feb Mar last year 2011. They had left a glowing 5 star review in Mar last year it has now one year later been removed for a totally different review with many defamatory comments. It just does not make sense to wait 1 year to write a negative review, again i can not explain why the original totally different review was removed and have asked tripadvisor to investigate.
I have an email from the guest after returning home thanking us for a totally enjoyable stay. Unfortunately tripadvisor does not allow me to post the email.
Having met this guest and i still remember them very well i simply can not believe it is the same person who has written these comments.
However i would like to add and try to defend myself to such comments.
Calling someone Spiteful without a reason or explanation is in turn spiteful. To keep costs down we do not employ night staff, i do have my cell phone number clearly visible just inside the front door i can be reached 24hrs a day i have on many ocassions and at all different hours come back to let guests in, who have either lost keys or have locked themselves out. I do not have a "i
do not want to be bothered attitude"
Mentioning homophobia 1 week before Mardi gras is totally irresponsible and a malicious way of trying to damage our business. I do not even know how true this is.
Homophobia does not have a place in modern cosmopolitan Sydney.

Marlow, UK
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, we had a cooked breakfast each morning which gave us a good start to the day. I was dubious about the location in King's Cross but it was perfectly safe. George and his family run this hotel which suited us fine, our room was large and comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank periwinkleMarlow_UK
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Sydney is a very expensive place for Americans to vacation, so I was looking for a modest, reasonably priced accommodation in a fairly central location. Hotel 59 delivered that and more. We were there three nights. A full cooked to order breakfast (with tea or espresso drink) included in the room price is a great benefit. Our room was on the second floor and very large. It was clean, quiet and comfortable, with a tiny kitchen area that was more than we needed. Bathroom was updated and quite modern, rest of the room less so - a little worn but perfectly fine. It doesn't have a "lobby", which may be a disadvantage to some people, and you do need to carry bags up the stairs if you are on the second floor. Kings Cross location was fine for us - we walked everywhere to all the sights. Yes, it can get a little lurid a few blocks away if you choose to go that way (lap-dance sort of clubs), but there were people with baby strollers walking through there too. Hotel 59 staff, especially Kathy, were very nice and helpful. We will definitely stay there again if ever in Sydney.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank casamcabu
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Casamcabu

Thank you for your balanced comments we are glad to see you had an enjoyable stay and found hotel 59 affordable, with our high exchange rate prices can be expensive but we are pleased and proud to still offer reasonable rates, with unlimited free wifi and a full cooked breakfast it is a great deal. This is done by keeping our business family run and doing a lot of the work ourselves.
Maintenance is always on going just on over a year ago all rooms and doors where repainted we are also in the process of changing tv's and were needed new shower screens installed.
We are a 2 level building and have stairs to the the second level we try to have this well documented on our different websites and on our confirmation replies.
We are happy to see you used our great central location to walk to most of the tourist sights.
Thank you for being guests at hotel 59.
George & Kathy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I booked a 'Deluxe' room at this hotel following some great comments on TA but unfortunatley I was really disppointed with my experience here. I have to say though, George's sister was nice and helped me with my very heavy bag up the stairs and their father makes a great breakfast which is free. But my deluxe room was very small and the decor very dated indeed. There was tea, coffee and milk available as you would expect but no soap etc in the bathroom. I had to venture out to purchase some air freshner as the room had a bad smell! I had a couple of unwelcome vistors in my room, a couple of lizards and there were cockroaches lurking in the corridors at night. I would not recommend this hotel and I don't think the area is suitable for single female travellers and I was glad to check out after 3 nights. Just a shame George couldn't help me down with my bag when he was around....a female working on the roads just outside the hotel stepped in to give me a hand though! I just didn't find this place of a good standard at all, in any department (oh apart from the breakfast).

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank angela r
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Angela R

We are extremely dissapointed to read this guests comments on tripadvisor, we try very hard with all our guests to offer them a great experience at hotel 59 we regret on this occasion we where not able to.
I would like to say though the guest had indeed booked and paid for a single room it is wrong for them to say otherwise. We feel that at the rate the guest paid with a complimentary cooked breakfast, unlimited free wifi it is very reasonable. Sorry the decor was not to your taste.
The room is not the largest but if you are looking for a base to sleep and shower while out exploring our wonderful city it is fine.
Every 3 months we fumigate the rooms and common areas, ocassionally a cockroach can enter through an open window or a door but no way to the extent this guest as described.
I did not see guest leave i would not stand and watch her carry her bag without offering assistance.
In all web content we try to be as honest as possible in describing our accommodation, the last thing we would want is to mislead someone.

Regards
West Midlands
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Hotel 59 is great value and very clean. George and family were so nice to a solo pensioner who had just left family in Brisbane! My room was small but had everything.The breakfast was lovely and I found the location very handy for buses and walking

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Amanda 68

Thank you for your possitive comments we are happy to read you had a comfortable stay at hotel 59. Our innercity location is a perfect base to explore most tourist places. We would have loved to have you back after your visit to the blue mountains, unforunately we could not as we where fully booked. Next time

Regards
bangkok
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Very friendly owner, comfortable rooms, 100% quiet night and day time ( after our nightmarish experience in Devere Hotel the month before, this peaceful atmosphere was welcome ! ).
A choice of gargantuan yummy breakfast is included in the room's price !
We warmly recommend this well situated place !
And, thanks again for your warm welcome Mr Georges ! We appreciated !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Bays, Owner at Hotel 59, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear ClaudineBangkok

WOW!! thank you so much, we work really hard to please our guests, reading your comments has given us so much joy. Our breakfasts are indeed special we cook the breakfast for you as you wait, just like in a cafe or restaurant.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience at the other hotel, we are glad to read you had a possitive experience at hotel 59. We look forward to meeting you again
Kindest regards