Jolly Swagman Backpackers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$175
US$208
US$201
US$181
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$267
US$111
  • Pool
Cambridge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$74
US$260
US$238
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Pitt Street, Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Pool
All reviewskings crossfree breakfast isdorm roomthe red light districttrain stationcommunal areascommon roomenjoyed my staywi fipotts pointopera househostelorwellxboxcerealaustraliacoles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Hostel rooms were clean and tidy. Same wih the common areas. Met some nice people and made new friends. Staff was very friendly and helpful. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I have stayed at hostels all over Europe, Australia, Africa and a few in the states AND THIS ONE IS BY FAR THE BEST OF THEM ALL. I went to Sydney to study abroad and both my school back home and in Sydney had thought the other was going to set me up with housing. I ended having no place to live while Sydney was on a housing shortage. The staff at the swagman gave me a home. At the time there were a lot of others staying there long term and as corney as it sounds we went from strangers to friends, friends to family. Best social atmosphere you could ask for! Rooms vacumed three times a week. Refrigerator in every room. Tv with DVDs to rent. People who take you out every night. The swagman will always have a special place in my heart and quite frankly your making a mistake if you stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Really loved it. Does what it says on the tin! Really helpful friendly staff and located in a great place! if I hadn't had stayed here and stayed in an hotel I would have had a rubbish time in Sydney! I returned last year and stayed with two of the girls I met at Jollys! I only stayed here for a week but it was super!! Cheers!! I travelled solo and within 5 minutes of arriving (no joke!) I was asked if I wanted to join a load of people for a picnic round the corner! Straight from the UK I was jetlagged but can honestly say I met the nicest bunch of people vie met on my travels!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank michellef1
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I booked twins room on upper floor and it was really very nice and clean with Fridge, TV, Fan and cupboard with hangers. Just one negative was that there was lot of dirt in one quilt folds when I opened it to cover myself…It was very late at night so I didn’t felt it appropriate to ask management for replacement…so I slept without quilt. I hope management will keep an eye on their room cleaners.

I would highly recommend Jolly Swagman to everyone and will stay there again…

Room Tip: Twin Room on Top floors are best
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Muhammad Abrar M
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I just stayed at Jolly Swagman Backpackers Nov 19 - 25. I stayed in the private double room which is a great room especially if you want your privacy. The room was clean, it did have a strong airfreshner candle that they left in the room. There was a fan in the room which I kept on high the entire time since it got hot in the room. It was a quite floor except for the weekends when the drunks arrive late at night. The staff were friendly. There are tons of shops and restaurants in the area. It's a very quiet street which is a plus. Kings Cross station is about a 5min walk. There is a Woolworth supermarket down the road and some small delis that are open 24 hours.

The airport transfer never showed up on my departure date which was annoying. I waited outside for about 45min and I checked in with the front desk and they kept telling me he was going to come. After another 15 min I just got my money back and took a cab to the airport. I def recommend this place to whoever is traveling on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, since the north side is located right on the street where the young kids hang outside and smoke. Def get a private room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo