“Great wine list and fresh delicious food!”
Review of Sokyo

Sokyo
Ranked #119 of 6,916 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$57 - US$179
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sokyo. Where the buzz of Tokyo meets a Sydney beat. Allow yourself to be lost in the world of Chef Chase Kojima and his impeccable union of traditional craftsmanship with an innovative take on contemporary flavour. Now open 7 days a week for breakfast and dinner, and lunch Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Try the Octopus Salad! It was the best octopus I've ever eaten. Firm, flavoursome, and fresh!
I wasn't after a huge feed, I think if I was then it would end up being an expensive night out. I ordered the Miso Kingfish, a soup, plus the Octopus salad. It was enough to satisfy, but not requiring undoing the top button of my jeans.

The wine list is extensive, with 90% of the wines being top-shelf prices. Only a limited range of wines and sake's were available to purchase by the glass.

Service was quick, professional, and friendly. I was originally asked 3 times within as many minutes for my drink order, but after that I was mainly left alone to enjoy my meal.

I would gladly take colleagues, clients, friends, or family here again.

Solo diners should sit by the kitchen bar. The chefs are friendly and entertaining!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Embots
SokyoManagement, Manager at Sokyo, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hi Embots,

It's great to hear that you had an amazing experience here at Sokyo! Our team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and wine during your dinner here. We look forward to having you dine in with us again soon to have yet another great experience! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

I celebrated my birthday with a dinner at Sokyo at The Star on Saturday March 24th. I was very excited to try this restaurant as I am a frequent patron to the Casino. I even made my reservation 3 weeks in advance. Unbeknownst to me, it was Earth Hour day. I have never had such a terrible and regretful dining experience. To come and sit in the dark and eat my food. I couldn't see what I was consuming from the many dishes my partner and I had ordered. It was frustrating and I didn't expect to come to a five star dining restaurant and have to use my phone flashlight for the majority of my dining. The two tealight candles provided on tables were pathetic and did not offer any decent substitution to the normal lighting. I understand the movement behind supporting Earth Hour, but to have Sokyo join and provide patrons with a very uncomfortable experience is disgraceful. If i wanted to sit in the dark and not know what i am consuming, I couldv'e saved myself the hassle and $350 by staying at home and ordering japanese via uber eats. In addition to the total discomfort and frustration, i couldnt help but notice that it also provided an OH&S issues. Staff members carrying dishes and glasses in the dark only supported by the bare-minimum light provided by tealights and the light shadow of the very dimmed kitchen lights is unacceptable.
To end, it is no secret that my experience was a major let down which is a big shame because the food was absolutely delicious. Too bad the dining envronment had to spoil something that would've been by far the best Japanese food I've ever had - including compared to what I've consumed in Japan.
Hopefully Sokyo actually thinks about what they do next year instead of leaving diners in the dark with nothing to used but phone torches.

Good Evening Jayme T,

We are sorry to hear about the service you experience here at Sokyo! It is unfortunate to have had celebrated your birthday dinner when Earth Hour was happening within the casino. We sincerely apologize for the dining experience that night. Our team will take all the feedback into consideration moving forward and hopefully providing a better experience on Earth Hour next year. We will continue to train our staff to provide an even greater experience. Thank you for taking the time to write us. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

I love this place for breakfast, everything healthy and fresh and staff that know how to do customer service.
Try the sumo breakfast for that mix of fry up and superfoods which sets you up for the day like no other breakfast

1  Thank Jackel35
SokyoManagement, Manager at Sokyo, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2018

Hi Jackel35,

It's great to hear that you enjoyed Sokyo's breakfast! Fresh and healthy is the best way to start off your day. Hoping to have you have breakfast here with us again soon!

Sokyo Management

Reviewed March 17, 2018

I am a big fan of nearly all Japanese food and that includes Japanese Style breakfast! However, not many places in Sydney (in fact Australia) serve it (please let me know if you know anywhere that does it).

Sokyo came up on the search and we decided to try it a few weeks ago. Had a look at the buffet as we walked in and decided to give it a miss.

Not sure if it was my high expectation, but the traditional “Choushoku” breakfast was not quite what I was hoping for. It came with a bowl of rice, a rawish egg with some sauce (the Japanese mixed it in the rice and it taste like heaven with soy sauce), miso soup, pickles, seaweed and edamame. The grilled fish had really good texture but the flavour did not match with the egg rice. The breakfast should also come with soy sauce for the egg rice. Miso soup and pickles are just ok.

We expected the sumo breakfast to be a really big breakfast but it wasn't. It had a tempura hash brown which is just like potato scallop but nice. Bacon and sausages were also good. This also came with edamame, and a lot of it! We do like it but just did not feel like chewing 30 beans in the morning.

On the good note, coffee was really nice and it was not expensive for the Star - $ 22.50 for an a la carte item plus coffee / tea. Service was good.

Really not sure about their breakfast but have heard good things about their lunch / dinner so might come back for that.

Date of visit: February 2018

Good Afternoon,

We are sorry to hear that Sokyo's breakfast wasn't quite what you were hoping for. Our team is continually trying to improve and create new dishes for our guests to try in the future. Hoping to have you come back dine in with us again, whether it be for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went for a weekend lunch with high expectations and were happily satisfied. The service was great. The food was amazing. Every dish had refinement that have the traditional Japanese dish a new life while still maintaining everything that made it a classic in the first place. The tempura was simply mind blowing.

2  Thank joshuaq327

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this amazing review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service here at Sokyo! We look forward to having you come back again to try even more amazing dishes.