“Incredible trip to the Hunter Valley”
Review of Wine Country Tours

Wine Country Tours
Ranked #7 of 106 Food & Drink in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Your host is Richard Everett, the only Oenologist (or winemaker) conducting a small group or private wine tour of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. His guests get a unique behind the scenes insight into how the best wines of the Hunter Valley are made, with private guided tastings of the top wines at the best & most interesting of the 140+ wineries. Richard conducts the wine tastings, not the sales staff at the wineries, so you are spared the heavy sales pitch of their commercial wines & get to experience many wines not offered to the general public. Morning tea is at the famous Peppers Guesthouse & lunch is at the award winning Muse Cafe. Tours are available ex Sydney or from within the Hunter Valley.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

One of the memorable tours on our visit to Australia was spending a day with Richard in the Hunter Valley wine region. His knowledge and the education we received of the wines made worldwide was astounding. He took us through a very detailed tasting experience. And, that was followed up by visits/tastings to other wine makers. Definitely a much more thorough tour than merely hopping from winery to winery. We highly recommend this experience.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"grape variety"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 29, 2018

If you're looking for an in depth, behind the scenes, educational, fun, relaxing, and well drank wine tour of the Hunter Valley then book with Richard! My husband and I love to go wine tasting and learn about the different vineyards, grape varieties, and tasting an assortment of wines and we picked the perfect tour with Richard. He gives you the background and history of the Hunter Valley, the wine making process from the vines to the bottle, and then a thorough tasting experience of over 20 wines. We learned so much, enjoyed our wine tasting experience, and felt like we got a hands on tour of the Tyrell winery. He never tries to sell you on any wine but instead wants you to "experience" the wine. We really enjoyed our day with Richard and would definitely come up and visit with him again!

Reviewed March 5, 2018

Our day in the Hunter Valley with Richard provided us with an expert's insight into the world of wine. He is a pro who taught us how to systematically evaluate a variety of wines. What was unique about Richard's approach was the structural method he uses when assessing different wines. We took away valuable information on tasting, pairing, storing and enjoying wine. His passion for wine is clear and his knowledge about wine from throughout the world provided us with a good understanding about how Australian wines fit into the world of wine. If you are looking for more than just being driven to and from the beautiful Hunter Valley where you might randomly sample various wineries' fare, then spending a day with Richard will be well worth your time.

1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed March 4, 2018

I really enjoyed the tour - it was educational and Richard is clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about the wine industry. He loves to talk and I certainly learnt a lot from the tour.

I was also in the process of moving hotels on the day of the tour. At the end of the tour Richard waited whilst I grabbed my bags from one hotel and then dropped me off at the other. Definitely above and beyond what he needed to do.

1  Thank 19cjf73
See more reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2018

What's "fun" about TripAdvisor is getting to read reviews prior to your travels. make your reservations and then see how the experience lived up to your expectations. I think I am like most people in that I read as many positive as well as the negative reviews before drawing any conclusions.

Exec Summary - Richard and Wine Country Tours will introduce you to some amazing wineries and you will get to sample plenty of amazing releases. What separates Richard & Wine Country Tours from the rest is Richard's life long involvement in the Australian wine industry as well as many engagements abroad and if you are equally interested in acquiring a great amount of knowledge along with those glasses of wine then this is definitely the guide and the tour for you.

I actually want to talk a bit about some of the negative reviews- does Richard like to talk a lot? Yes. Will Richard give you wine-101 directives & guidelines at times? Of course. But both are because Richard incredibly cares about wine as well as the total experience that goes along with it. If you think that you already know everything there is to know about Australian wines and the industry then go hire a driver and drop in on wineries and sample their wines the way you like. However if you are hoping to have more of an actual experience, then trust me that it is well worth biting your tongue during any moments that may at first seem obvious or rudimentary and allow Richard to guide you from the shallow end of the wine pool all the way to the high-dive into the deep-end. For instance, a life-guard may want to see you swim a few laps and go over some of the basics before turning you loose on swimming out on the open water.

So if a little bit of Wine 101 is going to ruin your day, then don't book with Richard. But for those of you who don't mind a little refresher, you may find, like I did, that Richard brought a unique & insightful interpretation to Wine Appreciation 101 and from there we were to swimming in the deep-end of the pool.

I actually own and operate my own micro-winery back in the USA and was thrilled with the amount of knowledge, experience, and perspective Richard shared on the history of the vines and wines as well as the industry in Australia, its place in the world, and of course a wealth of intimate knowledge and understanding of the Hunter Valley, the Wineries we toured, and the wines that we tasted. So again, for those looking for the silent treatment, then this isn't the tour for you.

However for those serious about tasting some amazing wine, and tolerating a bit of review before learning something new...if you are interested in learning about the history and so much more, then I highly recommend this tour.

Oh, one more thing I almost forgot to add - when you arrive at the wineries with Richard you will notice that they treat Richard much differently than the other tour guides; there is clearly a higher level of respect and recognition that the give to Richard, and if you are patient it won't take too long to understand why.

Thank you Richard for the best Hunter Valley Wine Experience we could have hoped for!