“Perfectly functional”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 20 May 2012

It was not with excitement that I crossed the threshold of this hotel, but business calls. It is located well for Sydney Uni and RPA, or if you happen to be a custom vintage motorcycle tragic (Deus Ex Machina) or hooked on high quality stimulants (Campos [sadly not open on Sunday]).

I had room 701, on the top floor, which was a decent size, with a table and chairs, flat screen TV, and a window that was open. My view, despite the prime floor, was across to the pool an an apartment building beyond, with the assortment of junk being kept on the balconies.

The bed was OK, the pillows a little large and springy for my liking. White linen, an thin but effective blanket for what was a cool couple of nights (extra in the wardrobe, plus extra pillows). I was pleased that housekeeping did not replace the decorative cover for the foot of the bed, that I had stowed under the bedside table. It gets on my nerves taking those things off each day to get comfortable. Blinds were quite effective.

On to some negatives. The TV had poor reception, and 5-6cm of the left edge was static for every chanel. Despite the sign on the TV, the remote did not work to turn it on and of, and when I told reception, they just said 'that is how they work'. The said they would send someone to fix the static, but there was no evidence of it.

The basin was cracked, the paint worn, the fittings dated. The bathroom was average, by which I mean it was like your average suburban home bathroom. Having a full size bath is good for those who like to soak, or who have children.

So it is a place to sleep, and functioned well in that capacity. It was not a place to inspire rapture.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

I’m very glad to hear that not only did you have a great stay with us we were able to change your perception of the Hotel after any comments you may have read prior to coming to the Hotel.

I do agree the Hotels location does lend itself to many great eateries to suit all walks of life.

Our rooms are of a very generous size and the beds are very comfortable and provide a great night’s sleep.

I have taken on board all the comments you have provided on the areas we can improve and I will be passing them on the all departments involved.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Camperdown

Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel is excellent value for money. The rooms are very big and quiet. The bed is super comfortable and the location is good. This part of Sydney is close to many interesting areas like Glebe and Newtown which are full of hip cafes, shops and bars. Its only 10 min on the bus into the city centre and the buses go every few minuets during the day. I haven't tried the restaurant but I can highly recommend Deus Cafe which is only 50 meter away. I have stayed here twice now and would definitly recommend it to people that like a good night sleep and are not fussed about expensive fittings and fancy decor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel needs a total upgrade. Room sevice was not up to Rydges Standard. Toilet in our ensuite was cracked and was dangerous. The swimming pool/ spa was a joke. We did write a report but have not heard back. We won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cakawilson7

Thanks for your feedback and I’m disappointed to hear it was not good! I truly hope you did explain your frustrations with the Front desk staff when you had checked in as we would have been happy to offer you a room move if we had rooms available. I am also sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the pool area and please note we do not class it as a spa as it is a children’s paddling pool.
If you would like to discuss in further detail please feel free to contact me on the number below as we would like the opportunity to welcome you back and show you your bad experience was a once off.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed here several times whilst my mother in law is in the RPA Hospital and generally it has been ok but this review directly refers to our stay on Easter Saturday 7 April.
Firstly this hotel is very convenient for anyone travelling interstate visiting relatives in the RPA Hospital, just an easy 5 minute walk to the hospital and at $18 per night parking is reasonable as well (parked in the hospital carpark for 65 minutes and it cost us $18)
Arriving just after 2pm we were confronted with a stressed receptionist and a lobby full of people all waiting for their rooms as house keeping was running late. As our room was also not ready thought we would have a drink in the bar. Unfortunatly for the entire Easter weekend the restaurant was closed for lunch and dinner (breakfast was available) with only a very limited room service menu available (at an additional charge for delivery!) This should have been noted on the website when booking as eating options for families are limited nearby.
Our room was a family room, two singles and one double (dream beds which are always great).
Unfortunatly the room appeared to have had a rushed servicing, there was dried food on the Kitchenette bench, a black drink straw from a previous guest in the sink, and a considerable amount of mould at various spots in the bathroom. The bar fridge also had broken shelving which meant that milk was just thrown in between the mini bar items. Whilst we dont eat from the mini bar there were several items that were out of date (including the complimentry milk)
However out biggest concern was the room window. We were on the 5th floor. The latch was broken and in addition to this the window had dropped so that there was a 5cm gap at the top which had been repaired with a bit of foan that had partly fallen out. As it was windy all night we had a constant whistle coming through the gap. We were not game to touch the window in case it fell out! Considering that this was a family room the potential for a small child to climb up and topple out would be quite high. All of the above comments have been emailed to the general manager but to date I have recieved no reply.
This hotel in a previous life was a Travelodge (a semi budget chain in Australia) and whilst it would be true that some improvements have been made the entire hotel is in need of a top to bottom renovation.

Room Tip: If you stay at any Rydges Hotel get a Priority Guest Rewards card from Rydges, get you 10% off the r...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Warrens_of_Conder

Thanks for letting us know about the issues you encountered during your stays. Your feedback certainly is fair, and gives our team a couple of very pertinent points to consider moving forward. The Rydges Dream Beds are a great addition to the hotel. We thank you for your comments and our General Manager will be in contact shortly.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Well, Stayed in Rydges Camperdown for 2 nights 3 days. The property is very close to the Sydney CBD and everything is very accessible and nearby - Harbors and Bondi and all other beaches as well. No wonder due to closeness to city, its an old building needs refurbishment,but nothing came into my attention that prevent me not to recommand to someone else except couple of things :-
1. Lift is dodgy, be very careful.
2. Toilets and rooms are very moderate, nothing to expect more, but as usual dream beds make your sleep very comfortable. Staff attitude is ok. Night Executive was the most helpful person ever come across.
3. Rooms and Corridors are quite old, you may find some of the furniture is old. So dont get depressed if you have choosen to stay here!!

Room Tip: Dont expect to much!! Else all good. Location is what you are paying for, the hotel needs renovation...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HAMID84
Rydges C, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

I'm so happy to hear the location was suitable for your travel to Sydney and you had an enjoyable stay!! I will let maintenance know of the issues you have highlighted and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

The place needs an update. Gave us a room, that was nice, when we went to have a shower found a hole where the bath from the room above leaked. They moved us to another room that smelled (ex smoker room I suspect). It had smalls holes and dripping water near the air con unit. Bed was clean. Bathroom broken tiles and mold.

Convenient location, but would not recomend

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank G M
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear G M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Rydges Dream Beds but sorry to hear of the issues you had experienced with the bathroom facilities and please note our maintenance team are looking into the problem to sure it is rectified.

If you do have the requirements to travel back to Camperdown in the near future please feel to contact me direct as we would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2012

The rooms here are very very tired and used, although Rydges management have splashed out on a lick of paint and some new carpet in the foyer sometime recently I guess. Generally way below the standard of other Rydges hotels overall though... Having said that the rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. Staffing levels are good, speedy check in and check out. Location is the biggest plus for this hotel - walking distance to scores of good restaurants in Newtown and good bus links get you into the city within 15 minutes anytime of day or night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Gnome G,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay with us, it is very much appreciated.

I’m glad to hear the Hotel’s location suited your needs during your stay as we are closely located to Newtown and only a short ride from the CDB.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future and if I can be of any assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,