“A small hotel that beats any big one”
Review of Verona Guest House

Verona Guest House
Ranked #10 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2015

We are Ulla and Per-Olof from Sweden who stayed in this hotel 26 nights in November 2015.
This amazing hotel has everything and more. The hospitality and friendliness from the owner Julienne and her team, makes you feel home and important. The room is gorgeous with a lot of space and comfortable beds. The location is in an area from which it is easy access to Sydney center, souroundings, as well as famous landmarks.
The all day breakfast is fantastic and you can have a snack at any time. The hotel is a perfect spot for a relaxed but active stay in Sydney. We love this place and will be first choice when we return to Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eliasson2015
VeronaGlebe, Owner at Verona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2015

Per-Olof and Ulla were the perfect guests. It was wonderful hearing about all their adventures every day. They even explained to me how to use the new Opal card. Swedish guests will always be welcome at Verona.

There are newer reviews for Verona Guest House

Reviewed 25 November 2015

My daughter and I stayed at Verona Guest House earlier this year. We thought it was lovely. The room we had was small but plenty big enough for the two of us and it was spotlessly clean. The bed was really comfortable. The owner was lovely, helpful and very friendly without being intrusive at all. The breakfast was self help with a great choice of foods.
The location in Glebe is great. You can walk down to Blackwattle Bay which is beautiful. Its very easy to catch a bus into the city from pretty much straight across the road and if you really wanted to walk it would probably be 40 minutes. Its about a 20 minute walk from Sydney Uni. Glebe is s lovely inner Sydney suburb with great little shops, fabulous eateries galore and an abundant choice of places serving excellent coffee. The Glebe Markets are on every Saturday and we went for the first time and found them really good. Lots of vintage wear which my 18 year old daughter loved. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Hilary F
Reviewed 22 November 2015 via mobile

Great variety for breakfast, on the main road so felt safe at night walking the shirt distance by myself from the bus to Verona, polite and friendly host and the room was clean and had everything you need. Work paid but I believe it was quite affordable and I'd much rather stay here then in a 4 or 5 star hotel that may have a slightly nicer bedspread but cost double.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed 23 September 2015

Verona provides terrific alternative accommodation to the usual Sydney hotels. It is situated in beautiful Glebe close to retail shops, cafes, restaurants and Blackwattle Bay, a nearby exercise option.
This guesthouse is spotlessly clean and the owners maintain a high standard of comfort and quietness. Guests need to realise that they should not expect a marble and glass luxury city hotel but the price and proximity to the city make it a great alternative. Buses on Glebe Point Road will have you in the city in 10 minutes and the light rail is a convenient alternative if you want to go to Darling Harbour or Central.
My husband and I have stayed there when attending shows such as Matilda as you can be back at Verona within 15 - 20 minutes of the show finishing.
While the rooms are relatively small, they are very comfortable with en suite bathrooms and the all day breakfast provided is more than adequate. This includes being able to make tea or coffee or other beverages at any time and the opportunity to be able to make a late night snack after being out is great.
There is free and safe parking on the close side streets.
I have stayed both for work and leisure and have never been let down by this accommodation.
The only very minor criticism is the tiny televisions in the rooms - an upgrade of the televisions would be a good move.
We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian J
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

I and my colleagues stayed at Verona guesthouse, a small hotel in the heart of Glebe. The guesthouse was immaculately clean with fantastic facilities; everything you wish for in a small hotel. They provide all day continental breakfast, milk, cereal, bread and a lovely living room to chat with colleagues before the day starts. The living area also has Foxtel if you want to see a good movie.
The hotel is full of regular guests and the owner appears to know them all very well. It was a friendly atmosphere over breakfast meeting everyone from all over Australia.
The rooms are lovely and each of the rooms has a TV and a small bar. It is one of the very best small hotels I have stayed in Sydney. The free wifi is also handy.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank LucasAlan
Reviewed 11 August 2015

We stood at the front door ringing the door bell and knocking for 5 minutes before we could get in. We were just about to give them a call when someone finally answered the door.

The biggest problem was lack of sleep due to a number of reasons. The blinds let in a lot of light and the beds creaked every time you moved. There were random knocking sounds from within the house. You could hear when other guests were leaving and entering their rooms.

If you do stay here, make sure you bring your own shampoo and conditioner because you won't want to use the cheap sachets provided.

The location of the property is awesome. The breakfast available was very good with a large selection of serve yourself foods and drinks.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
VeronaGlebe, Manager at Verona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2015

Thanks Michael for your review. I do not tend to post replies unless a review is negative. Every small business owner will tell you that it is a never ending battle to try to please everyone. I can tell you that I was checking in another guest when you arrived. Therefore I could not answer the door at the same time. I put you in Room 9 which is not only the quietest room in the house but one of my most requested rooms by regular guests. I have no idea why you slept in both beds when you only booked a double room but i will check the source of the creak. As to the blinds I will also look into a better solution but i have not found the blinds to let in light at night. I use Countrylife soap and shampoo as it does not contain palm oil. The City to Surf was on last weekend and I had several guests leaving early to attend. I asked them to leave via the kitchen door so as not to disturb other guests. I personally did not hear any noise but i am sorry if they woke you up.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

Our son lives nearby, and this Guest House is in a perfect location. We had a quiet, peaceful room upstairs. Breakfast is self-service - not a sit-down breakfast served to you. We loved this - we cooked ourselves an omelette on the first day and some scrambled eggs (free-range farm eggs!!!) the second, along with toast, coffee, tea and yoghurt. There was an assortment of coffee and tea, juice, breads, condiments, fruit, cold cereal, yoghurt, and eggs. You would be welcome to bring in other things to fix - there are plenty of places in the neighborhood for take-away, or to bring food in. TVs and wi-fi in each room (ours had a small bar fridge, too!), FoxTel in the lounge room (along with some great books), and a lovely innkeeper and helpful friends!

We bought an OPAL card and came in from the airport on the train, and took the light rail to the Glebe Station. It's only a short walk from the station. There are also buses that run up and down Glebe Point Road that would bring you into the city centre easily. We visited the local market at the Glebe State School and noted that the library is just down the street!

We'll be back!!!