“First and last time visit”
Review of Bills Darlinghurst

Bills Darlinghurst
Ranked #204 of 6,492 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$3 - US$27
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Darlinghurst
Description: Bills Darlinghurst, this is where it all began, in 1992. The miniscule kitchen and tiny dining room in one of Darlo's old backstreet pub buildings, serving just a blackboard-menu breakfast and lunch, set the tone for bills still does today. Local by-laws allowed only a few seats - hence the now much-copied communal table where everyone eats together, reading the newspaper or striking up a conversation with the person enjoying scrambled eggs next to them. Today, it's still a simple Sydney corner cafe, serving a menu of bills classics.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

While I enjoyed the food and coffee here I would not return due to the woeful service. Four of us arrived early for our lunch booking on a Monday and it was not busy. However I had to ask for service three times - to take a coffee order, menus, dessert order. Very poor. While there appeared to be two wait staff on, one of them provided very little service.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Get there before 10AM for a quick wait (it was approx 15 min for us). We loved the hot cakes -- so much that we placed a second order after we gobbled up our first. It's easy to see why this is a hot spot in Sydney.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After having the amazing ricotta pancakes at Maialino in New York, I always get excited when I see them on a menu – so guess what I had for breakfast today?

While they weren’t as good, they were still amazing and I would highly recommend them anytime!

My friend ordered the full Aussie breakfast which was equally as delicious – the bread was so fragrant that I had to steal a bite.

The only thing that disappointed me was that my server didn’t know what coffee origin meant. The menu says they offer single origin coffee and when I ask about it, she said “we have lattes, flat whites, [...]”.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Went for breakfast. Lovely inside, fantastic coffee, the cold drip was unusual but well worth a try.
Never had scrambled eggs like that, very smooth and interesting flavour. The ginger beer was amazing and would certainly have again.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

This was our second visit to Bills and we were very disappointed with the lack lustre service....I would have expected much better service considering the prices charged! It was also hot in the cafe, no aircon was on. Food was ok but not great. I hope things improve next time we visit.

1  Thank Traveller_Dan_75