“Great view! Unexpected guest!”
Review of Guillaume at Bennelong - CLOSED

Guillaume at Bennelong
Price range: US$0 - US$872
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We honeymooned in Sydney and were very excited to eat here. I thought our table was great, magnificent views. The service was good and all of our food was excellent (except Paris mash - don't bother) my favorite part of the evening was when we had an unexpected guest travel by our table on the metal railings level with the table top. A huge reddish cockroach with wavy antennae. I motioned for the server and pointed it out. He asked if we were American. I said yes and then he enthusiastically said "Welcome to Australia!"

1  Thank melobeam

Reviewed 2 October 2010

Short and sweet - as per the last reviewer we also have attended alot the top rating restaurants in Sydney and this is definately one of them. We were lucky to get a last minute reservation and it was worth it, the food was fantastic, (Paris mash YUMMM!!!) the service also. They recommended a most wonderful wine and made us feel very welcome. The views are breathtaking, we went at night I imagine lunch would be an even better view. Only minor draw back for us was the restaurant itself, because its within the Opera House Sail the room did not feel very intimate (very high ceilings) and we could hear conversations very clearly from the other side of the room. And the toilets are strangely located WAY outside the restaurant down a hall that leads to public toilets, bit odd.

1  Thank fivestarplease
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I must admit this is one of my top ten favourite fine dining restaurants in Sydney and we have been to them all- literally in the past year.
I just adore the food. We always have the degustation and we always ask to add a shared souffle to the menu because they are ALWAYS so good. We have also taken to asking for a whole plate of Paris Mash (potato) with the main red meat course because it is that good. The only mashed potato that has even come close to Guillaume's for my husband is Robuchon's in Hong Kong.
Having read the previous reviews, I was a little shocked at the problems people have had with the staff. We have been four times in the past year and they have always been fabulous. We don't drink alcohol and this can sometimes cause us to be treated like lepers as restaurants make a lot of money from alcohol, but the staff have always been wonderfully affable.
If you are on your way to Sydney for a holiday/ vacation, eating in the opera house is a wonderful experience. Try to get in if you can. We have been disappointed twice that the restaurant has been booked out by private functions, but it is definitely worth the effort to get in. Order the degustation menu - there may be a few ingredients there that might put you off if you are a fussy eater, but I guarantee that the way they mix them together will have your palate dying for more.

Reviewed 25 July 2010

You can't beat Bennelong for a fantastic meal in an amazing space. Ensure you book around the opera crowd as it can be very busy as they race through their meals to make the curtain call. Chefs Basil infused tuna, share lamb main and everything sweet are winners.

Also fantastic place to go for a drink and tapas. Champagne, crab sandwiches and an uninterupted view of the bridge - unbeatable in Sydney.

Service is always good, sometimes cool but in the most part it hits the mark. Matre d has always been particularly welcoming and friendly.

First rate.

Reviewed 17 June 2010

I loved the degusatiton. It was a cold wintery, rainy night in Sydney with ferries hovering around the Quay and the lights of the bridge shimmering against the rain. The darkness of the restaurant of a night really enhances the night lights and atmosphere of the city. The waiting staff were helpful and humble, accommodating and had personality as well. I love the French waiter from Burgundy (?). Very engaging and interesting. The food really was a treat. The presentation was beautiful and some dishes had you wondering how? The duck breast had a little bit of gristle that took away from the dish, but I am the sort of person that loves the imperfection in perfection, so loved it all. I would love to return and soon...