2,684 results
All reviews outback pioneer budget room communal kitchen live music bough house bbq area cook your own salad bar shuttle bus viewing platform take away visiting uluru aat kings dining options post office town square grocery store
Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

We had the misfortune of staying at outback Pioneer Hotel while we were visiting Ulluru.

From outset, check in process was ok, yes there was a queue but we got there eventually.

The rooms had a very stale smell to it and it looked like they weren’t cleaned properly. The bathroom too was smelly and the toilet actually hadn’t been cleaned too well.

If it hadn’t been for the fantastic tours by AAT Kings whole Ulluru experience would have been horrible.

Check out process was fairly easy but the person behind the desk was really motivated for people to donate to a charity that the hotel supports. Whereas it is good and noble to support a worthwhile cause, but asking your customers a few times is a bit too much I think....

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Naran K
Georgia R, Customer Relations at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

Hi Naran K
I am very sorry to read that your stay at the Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge did not meet expectations. I was particularly concerned to read that you felt your room had not been cleaned to the highest possible standard as this is certainly our priority and your feedback will be shared and addressed directly. Furthermore, I sincerely regret that we did not have the opportunity to assist you in resolving these concerns to your satisfaction during your stay. Ayers Rock Resort does proudly support the Mutitjulu Foundation which raises money to fund projects in the local Aboriginal communities of Mutitjulu, Docker River, Imanpa, and others in the region around Uluru however donations by guests are entirely voluntary and we apologise if you felt in anyway uncomfortable as I assure you this is never our intention. I am pleased to read that you were still able to enjoy exploring the beautiful Uluru & Kata Tjuta and we thank you for choosing to visit Ayers Rock Resort.

Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

I wish this was a classic example of you get what you pay for, but it isn’t...the hotel is way overpriced for what it is which is an automatic turnoff. The hotel is in need of an upgrade esp given the price point (most expensive for my entire trip in Oz esp for 3.5 stars!) I wish the service and hospitality made up for it but that also left much to be desired. I found the front desk to be unhelpful and seemed bored with their jobs which is likely due to the ton of tourists but come on, I am paying for an experience so give me a smile. Uluru itself was amazing but the stay here really affected my experience.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Hi DViddy2013
I am very sorry to read of your experience staying with us at the Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge. I was particularly concerned to read that the service did not meet expectations as this an area in which we normally pride ourselves and your feedback will be shared and will certainly assist us with ongoing coaching and development as we work towards improving the experience for all guests. I am pleased that you were still able to enjoy exploring the spiritual heart of Australia and we thank you for including Ayers Rock Resort in your itinerary.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

I have stayed in several dorms around the world and I was really happy with the one at the Outback Pioneer. First the bunk beds were really good, they were firmed, fixed and comfortable. The communal areas as toilets, showers (with soap dispenser) and kitchen were super clean and plenty enough to always find one available for you. The place also has swimming pool, restaurants, bar and a shuttle bus to the supermarket, shops and art galleries. In general, I am really happy with my stay in the hotel and the overall experience in Uluru. The hotel also offers different tours to move around the national park plus free and interesting activities within the hotel during the day.

The only negative thing of the dorm is the lack of power points, however during my stay I always had one available since we were really few in the room.

As a tip, around the hotel there are some lookouts to see the national park, I recommend walking 15 min to the Uluru lookout, it was the best view for me from the hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank CACH88
Georgia R, Customer Relations at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Hi CACH88
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Outback Pioneer Lodge and the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for choosing to visit Ayers Rock Resort.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

4 of us (mostly retired people) stayed at the Outback Pioneer Hotel. There are not many choices of where to stay close to Uluru, But to get the most out of our short stay we wanted to be right at the Ayers Rock Resort. The Pioneer is the cheapest option (unless you want to camp.) It is spread out with several different buildings, so you may have a walk between the lobby and your room, but everything is flat and well marked. The rooms are simple, clean and large. There was a frig & micro wave. Looks like most units, like ours had a patio door. There was a place to do laundry, we just washed a few things in the sink, then could hang them outside our patio door, and of course,things dry fast in the dessert! Transportation around the resort is the same, no matter which hotel you stay in. Our stay was short so we did not eat meals at the Pioneer, but that is an option. We used transportation there to get to the grocery store and would buy things for lunch, breakfast there and keep them in our frig to help keep costs down. For us, this was the perfect place to stay.

Room tip: Make sure you get room with a bathroom in it. It looks like there are cheaper options for youth groups, etc.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Diane P
Reviewed February 2, 2018

You will not find a 5 star hotel experience at Ayers Rock. With one company operating all the accomodation there is nothing cheap to be found. We chose the Outback Pioneer Hotel as being the cheapest option with en-suite bathroom. First impressions were of a rather scruffy motel, but after a couple of nights we fell under its spell. Yes, the accomodation is basic, but it has a laid back, easy going, charm which the more exoensive hotels ( which seem to cater for coach parties ) do not have. The restaurant is excellent for dinner and offers an amazing hot and cold buffet breakfast. We enjoyed the outdoor DIY BBQ and especially the lively "outback" style bar, with live music at night to suite all tastes played by Mark Lawson. Certainly amoungst the best guitar players that I have ever seen. If you are traveling independently then this is the place to stay.

Room tip: Make sure that you book the hotel if you want an ensuite bathroom. The lodge is more suited to young back packets.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple