New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Royal On The Park

Royal On The Park
Ranked #26 of 166 Hotels in Brisbane
Byron Bay, Australia
“Excellent Service & Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend and mother for a concert, at the recommendation of a friend. Also, it seemed to be the only reasonably priced accommodation in Brisbane that offered 2 queen beds in a single room (that I could find). I booked on an advance rate, which gave an additional discount. When we arrived, the staff were very helpful, especially the valet, Richard.

The room was great, spacious and well lit, and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. We were really happy about the quality & cleanliness of the accommodation and the look of the hotel. There were a couple of things that I should mention- the shower had some issues -even though the tap was turned to "shower" completely, the water still ran out of the tap and down the back of the shower head. We could also hear people talking clearly in the next room, although we didn't hear much hall noise.

I can't say enough about the service- on checkout, they asked us how our stay was and told us our parking was included in the cost, and the valet was prompt getting our car.

I would definitely stay again, it was a delight to stay here!

Room Tip: We didn't have much of a view (which we didn't need)- rooms on higher floors overlooking the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review.

I was pleased to see that you found your room comfortable. Our guest rooms are some of the largest in Brisbane and we are lucky to have the space to offer two queen beds (rather than the usual two double beds – or worse, two ‘king singles!’).

Richard certainly is a shining star in our Front Office – in fact last year he was awarded our Employee of the Year and I will also now be nominating him for a ‘Moment of Truth’ award due to your mention of him.

I have noted your comments regarding the shower taps and I would be keen to learn your room number so that I can personally ensure that our maintenance team have already resolved this. As the 2011 GBTA award winner for Responsible Hotel Sustainability we ensure quick responses to any issue that sees our most precious resource wasted.

Thank you once again and please do not hesitate to contact myself directly on 07 3221 3411 to let me know the room number.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Over 10+ years we have stayed at this hotel on 6 or 7 occasions, most recently over the last 5 days. It is not a luxury hotel but it certainly deserves its four and a half star rating. There is a certain old style elegance to the hotel which is mirrored by the staff whom we have always found to be friendly, helpful and always extremely well presented.
We have always taken a Deluxe King Room with the breakfast and parking packages and when booking on line through the hotel's website have found this to be very good value. These rooms are very well proportioned and furnished (even better after a recent refurb) although the bathrooms are a little small and I would prefer a separate shower rather than a somewhat cramped shower over bath arrangement.
Breakfast we have always found to be excellent and we have also had several most enjoyable dinners in the Walnut Room Restaurant.
Also important to us is its great location - directly opposite the Botanical Gardens and minutes from the Queen St Mall with many great restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Of particular value to us as out-of-towners with a hire car is its easy access to the M3 motorway without the need to battle traffic in an unfamiliar city CBD.

All in all, a great home away from home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with us.

As a regular guest, your feedback is of the utmost importance. That’s why when we began the planning stages of our refurbishments, the driving force behind our designs and concepts was sourced from focus groups of our regular guests. In the past 18 months we have replaced nearly everything in the hotel – except our famous walnut paneling all based on the feedback of our guests.

I am not surprised that you found the Walnut Restaurant excellent – I very rarely take any feedback stating otherwise (plus I am a big fan of Chef Rhian’s menu myself!) but it is such a gem in an inner city oasis. Our seasonal menus coupled with a monthly special themed menu (this month the soups are back!) also mean that the options always remain fresh.

I see that you have also found our little secret –our own website does always have the best rates on offer and offers the most flexible packages as well as cancellation policies!

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

This hotel is in a lovely location-opposite the Botanical Gardens. As Brisbane is a pretty unattractive city in the CBD, this makes it a good place to stay. I stayed in a king room garden view which was extremely expensive - almost $300 a night. The room was fine, plenty of wardrobe space, comfortable bed, etc, although I agree with other reviewers that the chaise longue idea is just stupid. There is nowhere else to sit, and no table on which to put room service meals or breakfast. The chaise longue isn't even comfortable! Management should throw them all out and buy some proper chairs or a sofa. If there are two people in a room I don't know what they are supposed to do!
The service was very poor. Not surly, just ineffectual. A couple of minor issues that I had were dealt with extremely badly. The restuarant breakfast was poor quality and the toaster almost imposible to operate (at one point three guests were standing round it wondering how to make it work!!).
I agree with another reviewer about the internet charges. Even among Australian hotels, charging $27 a day is nothing but a rip-off.
So for the price (and even for half the price) this was not a particularly good experience. But the location does make up for a lot.

Room Tip: Although more expensive I think the garden view rooms make a difference to staying here
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We booked on Wednesday for Friday stay and picked up a great Last Minute rate of $179 including breakfast. Like any city, you have to pay for parking. This hotel offeres parking for $25, be aware that some hotels charge +$35. Plus access to the hotel is very easy. If you don't visit the city often you can get nervous driving down all the one way streets and narrow lanes. This is easy to get to and easy to hit the highway when leaving. Overall getting a 4 star city hotel under $200 including breakfast and parking is pretty good. I don't think you could have a bad room view as you either have a city or botanical gardens view. We were only on the 2nd floor so didn't see lots of the Botantic gardens, but seeing green trees out the window was nice enough. We came up to Brisbane for 1 night (went to see Mummy Exhibition at Museum). Walked to dinner at Eagle Street, walked to Casino, walked back to hotel. All very easy even in high heels. The rooms have been rufurbished and are clean, tidy and of a good standard. However the paint colour in the bathroom is still old fashion. Kinda had a feeling like the rooms got refurbished and the budget got tight so the bathroom was done only 85%. But it is absolutely fine, clean and tidy. Breakfast was exactely what I would expect for the standard of hotel that it is. Had a different atmosphere then the other chained hotels. Almost an intimate feel. Not really suited for children. Lovely chairs, solid wooden tables (dark oak), very cosy for a winters morning.
Overall this is a great hotel for a great price in a great location if you are getting away for a short weekend in the city. Will stay again.....maybe for State Of Origin or a concert in the Botantic Gardens.

Room Tip: If you can't get a good deal that includes breakfast, don't worry as there are plenty of caf...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We recently stayed at Royal on The Park, for almost a week. The hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and cared for, the hospitality at this hotel is simply amongst the best we've ever experienced. The room was beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. The view from room 925 was stunning (photo’s included on the review) and we spent a lot of time marveling at the view of the city botanic gardens below.
We had previously read that the beds were comfortable and they weren’t kidding - slumber city indeed!!
We would have liked to have had an in room safe, for convenience. But that is our only suggestion for the hotel!!
We will always stay at this hotel when we’re visiting Brisbane. The hotel was like a home away from home, perfectly located for us to enjoy the CBD, and the Queen Street Shopping Mall. It was approximately a 10-minute walk to the train station and that enabled us to enjoy the Gold Coast also!! Highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: 9th Floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

All the teams that comprise Royal on the Park work so hard to ensure we will up to our mission of “where service comes first. I am truly grateful for the time you have taken to provide me with some genuine thanks and feedback to pass onto them. At the end of the day a pat on the back and word of thanks is one of our best tools to show our team we appreciate their efforts.

Our new pillows have been a talking point for our guests and we field many calls every week from guests wishing to purchase them. We realize that pillow choice is a very personal one and as such, on your next stay with us, please feel free to make use of our Pillow Menu if you find yours are too fluffy. We do provide many different styles and sizes of pillows and it gives our wonderful housekeeping team an excuse to visit you and make sure everything is still perfect!

We do provide safety deposit boxes at our reception desk free of charge and accessible 24 hour per day for our guests.

As most travellers mention, the location of Royal on the Park cannot be bettered – with close access to the main shopping & business districts and as you point out, ease of access to all modes of transport, with the added benefit of not be surrounded by the “concrete jungle” that is Brisbane! Our views over the Botanical Gardens are serene and provide a peaceful aspect for our guests.

We will all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Washington DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I don't know how this hotel could claim 4 stars -- felt like a down-at-heel three star to me. Rooms were poorly acoustically insulated, decor was drab and unstylish, service was slow, calls to reception went unanswered. Lobby area had a faint smell like nightclubs do in the morning. I would suggest you find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelling_DE
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I was surprised to see your comments with regards to noise the hotel recently fitted all our rooms with 1.5cm thick secondary glazed glass to ensure that the building becomes totally soundproofed, this project was completed at the end of March 2012.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding our service upon your check in – as you can see from our other reviews, our Front Desk team are usually very welcoming and it concerns me that you did not experience the same levels of service as you expected. Your experience has allowed me to identify an issue with our staff training; we have been able to use your situation as a training tool with our team to redevelop our processes to ensure that this does not occur again.

With regards to the décor, our lobby features the original walnut paneling from when the hotel was built and is one of the only remaining materials after our full refurbishment. We have kept these panels as our strong clientele of regular guests tell us that they love the “club like” feel the paneling provides. I do appreciate that the wood paneling may not be everyone’s style.

I would be keen to discuss your review further with you to seek your ideas on further enhancements we could improve on. Please do contact myself direct on 07 3221 3411 if you wish to discuss.

Thank you once again for your stay with us and for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Check in was easy and uneventful, just how I like it. Room was very spacious and comfy. Enjoyed room service for breakfast, reasonably priced, would have cost the same to go to the coffee club down the road but I didnt have to get out of my pj's. Used the pool and spa, perfect as nobody else was there. A nice quiet weekend, reception staff were very friendly and attentive.

Only negatives would be the shallow bath in the room, also there were wasps nests under all the umbrellas in the pool area, as well as on the building, a little scary for me :) carparking was a little on the high side.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to offer your review.

Its always wonderful to hear of your service experiences with us – as you mention, every one of our team members endeavors to go out of their way for our guests.

Its good to see our guest are enjoying our pool area since its makeover – we also believe the deck and removal of some trees and addition of open grassed spaces give our CBD oasis a special touch – just out of interest did you know that our pool is the largest in-ground pool in the Brisbane CBD?

We do thank you for informing the hotel regarding the wasps’ nest you found, our Engineering team have now fully serviced this area.

We will all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.