“Excellence under the Circumstances”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #34 of 167 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Friendly staff, great people skills, always a warm smile and nothing was too hard to handle - what a great stay we had on the 2nd June 2012. Plenty of info re renovations. We were looked after very well with some very thoughtful arrival surprises as we were celebrating our 36th Wedding Anniversary. Good location with a brisk walk to the main shopping hub - we all need that little bit of exercise. Looking forward to the opening of the new floor and what it has to offer.

Room Tip: If I had the money I would buy Room 1015 - great view, large and comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear “Bob W”

Thank you so much for the 5* review!

Firstly congratulations on 36 years of marriage, I am glad to see you have enjoyed your special occasion here at Rydges South Bank.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Once again thank you for the review.

There are newer reviews for Rydges South Bank Brisbane

Reviewed 3 June 2012

The hotel has great location and great service. But why was I unhappy? The bathroom is not just planned badly but can be potentially dangerous. The wash basin is situated at a height of 3 feet above the ground. That means if you are a man/ woman of average height, you have to bend like crazy to wash face/ shave (if you are a man!) or simply to wash hands. More importantly, the hair dryer is situated right next to the wash basin. If you have a hyperactive kid, he could plug in the hairdryer and then dip in the water in the wash basin. This can be a real disaster. I am not sure how the fire and safety department cleared this one. See the photograph if you don't believe me!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear “Raj5419”

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad to see you have enjoyed the hotel and its location.

After viewing the picture you have posted I can see the room you have stayed in is equipped with special facilities to cater for guests with disabilities. The fire and safety department have cleared this room due to it being special facilities room.

Once again I appreciate your time for the review.

Thanks Scott

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Hotel is undergoing ugly renovations out the front and on first floor pool area, stayed here 1 night on a business trip. Zero apologies or mention of the renovations taking place by any staff, generally unfriendly, unhelpful, not proactive staff who tend to group around and look at you but never assist in any way with bags or show a caring attitude.
I am not fussy but this was worth commenting on.
Was told hotel was fully booked, however, after 5 minutes given a room on the 1st floor directly in fron of new pool construction site with no comment by staff that they knew this room was poorly located. Headed down to reception, left bags in room, asked unfriendly robotic staff if I could upgrade happy to pay extra above $279 a night to move, waited 5 more minutes switched me to another room on 7th floor, much better. Why this room wasnt available earlier I have no idea? Pros, good location, comfy bed. Cons renovations, price, poor front desk staff, no pool, expensive breakfasts, tiny bathrooms need renovating.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Iceman69
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear “Iceman69”

It is very disheartening to read your review, our staff are known for excellent customer service so it is disappointing to read you have not received this.

The hotel is currently undergoing a facelift, but I don’t believe any renovations could be pretty. We are striving to modernize our look and facilities with new conference facilities, pool, bar and restaurant. I apologise nothing was mentioned to you by our staff, a notice regarding the renovations is on rydges.com and a letter is available on the front desk at check in.

Depending on the room type booked will determine where you would be situated in the hotel. As I am unable to look into the booking or dates I cannot provide an exact answer to your question. However from what you have mentioned in your review it would indicate a superior room was booked; these are located on the front of the hotel floors 1-6.

I do hope on completion of the renovations in September you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion about the hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to book again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 June 2012

We often stay in Brisbane in the CBD but as it was my birthday decided to stay at Southbank at Rydges, we paid for a City Lights Package, which gave us a room 1021 with great views of the wheel and the city. The room was spacious - with separate lounge room, but the bathroom was not even big enough for 2 people to stand, for a suite room very disappointing. We then had loud music all night due to a function being held on the 12th floor, after calling reception to advise of noise - was told they were not able to assist. So our night of relaxtion and kicking back was gone, breakfast the next morning was a disaster - with the renovations - the buffet breakfast was terrible, all the hot food was cold, as far as egg choice goes - only scrambled was on offer. Upon checking out the staff were apologetic when we advised we were most unhappy with spending more than $400 to have this type of an experience, we will definitely be going back over the river to stay in the CBD from now on. Forget location if the experience is ruined for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GCPurple
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear “GCPurple”

I would like to start by apologising on behalf of the team at Rydges South Bank.

The view from level 10 is fantastic and I am glad you room was to your liking. The comments regarding the bathroom size have noted.

The reception should have advised the Duty Manager regarding your noise complaint and action would have been taken to reduce noise levels. By your review this was not the case.

I am unsure when you stayed at the hotel but we do have a chef at the buffet cooking fresh eggs to order. The Podium Level is due for completion in September which will have a purpose built solution for the buffet breakfast and will address the issues you have raised.

If on completion of the Podium Level in September, you would consider choosing Rydges South Bank again please contact me directly.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 June 2012

1. No mention on their website about undergoing rennovations - could not find entrance (surrounded by fencing and scaffolding) - had to drive around block twice. Also temporary breakfast area unappealing.
2. Check -in
Firstly given key card to room - trudged up to room on 6th floor with bags (no help provided even though 3 porters standing nearby watching and just talking/laughing) to find keycards not working. Trudged back down to reception.
Next, given new keys - again trudged up stairs, this time with some help with bags after it was noticed I was struggling; although Porter entered room put bags down just and left; no talking, no turning on lights, drawing back curtains, nothing! I drew back curtains and having booked a $300 plus corner room expecting views was met with ugly walls of surrounding buildings from all windows and balconies. Then when I entered bedroom found luggage and items from another guest. So trudged back downstairs telling reception the room was already occupied. Was given another room ( a much better room on 11th floor) but again 3 Porters at concierge desk; all watched me trudge off again (third time) to the elevators with my luggage to go to my room.
3. I was also disappointed that when booking the room on website, (and also send an email to both Southbank and Head office reservations staff), I had made special note that this was a special birthday booking; no attempt/response was forthcoming; nothing special from the hotel - I did receive an email from reservations offering 2breakfast at a reduced rate of $25 each (wow!!!!). On looking at the bill after leaving I see I was charged $59 for 2 breakfasts????
Overall, a really disappointing stay; staff were generally unfriendly, non-welcoming, very matter of fact, and appeared disinterested in their jobs and in customer service. Very sad. I did join the Rydges Guest Priority Club; but I doubt if I will consider staying at Rydges again.

Room Tip: Ask to view room first
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DarrenRees
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear ‘DarrenRees,’

Thank you for reviewing your stay on Trip Advisor.

As discussed; again I apologise for the shortfalls from your most recent stay. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming back post the completion of our current renovations where I’m sure our facilities and service will be at the high levels which we are typically well known for.

Kindest Regards,

Scott Levey – Front Office Manager

Great rooms, close to South Bank facilities and the river

Room Tip: Get a room over looking the river
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Dear "CraigSandy09"

We are very fortunate to be situated in South Bank, the hotel boast views of the Brisbane River and City. I am glad you have enjoyed your room.

Thanks again Scott

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great place to stay and so close to everything. Only few minutes walk to Buses and Trains,, Quick walk across bridge into the Brisbane City also.
Great place doe Library,Museum,Art Gallery and Theatre
.Picture theatre only a couple of minutes walk from Hotel also.
Good food at hotel and close to many food outlets.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny.Great Views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear ‘Ellen P,’

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us!

We really appreciate the rating and are extremely happy to have you as a happy return customer. It’s nice to see that you’ve been able to experience the South Bank precinct and enjoy the location along with the hotel and its services.

Many thanks again for the review; we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kindest Regards,