“Beautiful food but...!”

Price range: US$15 - US$59
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: To much anticipation by Philip Johnson's strong local following, e'cco bistro opened its doors in 1995, starting what has turned out to be a Brisbane landmark restaurant. Located in an historic building on the fringe of Brisbane's central business district, the century old former tea warehouse oozes with character an ambiance. Almost twenty years on, e'cco underwent a total refurbishment in October of 2014, giving it a contemporary look, yet preserving the inviting, warm bistro feel that has stood the test of time. As Philip says "We do as little as possible with the best ingredients available."
Reviewed November 12, 2016 via mobile

I'll start with the annoying bit (first world problems I know hehe). Made a booking for me and my parents who I hadn't seen in months! They flew in from Adelaide and I flew in from Melbourne so it was a special occasion. Had a booking at 20:30 and we were running a bit late from all the sightseeing in beautiful Brisbane but I hate being late to anything so we rushed and made sure we got to the restaurant by 20:30. When we got there we were asked to wait... 5 min later someone else came and said they wouldn't be long. 10 min later we were asked to sit at the bar.. but before we sat down they told us that actually no..our table might be ready soon! YAY! 5 min later they sat someone else at that table. So we stayed put... standing awkwardly at the entrance ... 5 min later we were asked to sit at the bar. Lol this is really a #fwp but come on ... I made a reservation at 2030 for a reason.

The food and wine (and the Espresso Martini) though were wonderful! Axel was amazing as well. He actually made our dinner experience better so look after him! :)

Would've given a 5 if they had our table ready at the time we booked it for.

Reviewed November 12, 2016 via mobile

Disappointed ! The food was wonderful but let down by poor service
Food service was incredibly slow and not ordered. We viewed 4 other tables who arrived after we did served food before us. There was no return to the table to check if we were satisfied. Even the Coffee Club do this!! 101 customer service!
I ordered octopus and scallops, both were outstanding in flavour and innovation. My partner ordered the eye fillet and was disappointed that this was served as 2 thin slices of eye filet. The side that he ordered did not arrive until we pointed out the omission by flagging down a waiter which took considerable effort!!
We then received a quick apology and guarantee we would not be charged for the side.
Then offered the side when we had clearly finished our meals!
Then the side was on the bill. No apology

Reviewed November 6, 2016

We ate there last week and I was a little disappointed. I found the food ok but not great. The prices are ok. The staff spend too much time joking around together and not making a great experience for the customer. I also think that if you are going to have an open kitchen then it should look tidy and this didnt.

Reviewed November 4, 2016

The menu is really quite small, and what we had was not very good. It obviously has its following, given how packed it got, but not our cup of tea, and won't be to many who are not big meat eaters.

Reviewed October 22, 2016 via mobile

I used to love E'cco. It was one of my favourite places to eat. My partner and I recently went here for dinner but when we arrived, the maitre d' was busy on Face Time on her phone. The owner's name was misspelt on the menu and there were also other spelling errors noted. The food, although good, wasn't amazing and was also a bit slow. I wasn't offered a second drink at all throughout the evening. Fries were well and truly overcooked but were sent out to us regardless. Overall, the experience was lacking, as though E'cco was now a bistro resting on its laurels. I sent a private email to the restaurant providing constructive feedback and encouragement. Mary the maitre d' called within ten minutes of sending it and abused me. Her manner was simply disgraceful. There was absolutely no grace at all to her approach. I chose to send a private email but given the response I received, feel it's appropriate to now share this experience here. Many of my family and friends have been long time fans of e'cco, with my family having been invited to its opening night in 1995. However, I won't be going back. Very sad and disappointing to say the least. I have lots of fond memories of E'cco but these have now been polluted by my most recent experience there (they also deleted this review from Facebook without responding to me - very poor service!).

3  Thank Hannah W
NatManager123, Guest Relations Manager at E'cco Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Hi Hannah

Thanks for your review and we're sorry to hear about your experience at e'cco bistro. We are also sorry to see that you are now continuing the reviews across other social networks.

Your review was never deleted AND we responded to you which you also replied to last night.

We believe there is some confusion over how you think Facebook reviews might work - we cannot remove reviews from Facebook. Only the person writing the review can delete or edit their review. If the review contained bad language then we presume that Facebook themselves might remove it. There is no option to delete reviews at all. The options provided to us as a business page are to either have reviews turned on, or turned off. We are happy to screenshot your review to show you that it is still in fact on our page.

We are truly sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience during your visit or that your discussion with our owner post visit didn't go well. Your feedback allows us to improve our guest experience for the future and we are grateful for that.

As mentioned on Facebook, we are very disappointed to hear that you won't be returning. Should you ever wish to return, we would welcome your visit and hope you'd have a better experience.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Its crucial to use improving any issues and we can assure you that we have followed up with our team to make improvements.

Warm regards, e'cco bistro.