“Cheap but good”

Aspect Central Motel
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I was only in town for 1 night (in transit), so all I was looking for was a cheap bed - which it certainly was at under $70! But the room was a good size, as was the bathroom, everything worked, the location central and the staff friendly!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here on our first visit to Australia, we booked in advance and was pleasantly surprised at the room, after reading other reviews of this property. It was definitely the cheapest room we could find in Cairns which included cooking facilities. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The shower was a walk in type and was really good. There were two supermarkets just across the road which was very convenient. Overall you get what you pay for and to me this was well worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here with my partner for a few days. Was very disappointed on arrival to the room. The fan only had one speed, which was very fast. The airconditioner didn't seem to really get cold until early hours of the morning, then it was freezing and the bedding provided only included a small thin blanket, which wasn't warm enough. The bed sloped towards the centre. The wall near the airconditioner had a huge patch of mould growing on it. The free biscuits provided were stale. The room itself was quite dated, the one window view was the concrete wall of the corridor outside. Often there were not enough carparks within the locked gates, so you needed to park out on the street. The best part of the stay was the pay TV channels. Short drive to Esplanade and Cairns Central shopping centre. Would not recommend this place to stay!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Molly_Moo_11
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This motel is unbelievable value for money. I paid $80 for a night in the spa room and was expecting a tiny one-person bath, but the spa could fit two people easily, seperate shower room, kitchenette room and large comfy bed. I don't know why people would rate this motel poorly - if you book accommodation, you should have a rough idea of where you are booking. This motel is NOT in the centre of cairns and doesn't need to be. There is a lovely restaurant downstairs, as well as pubs and restaurants close by. It's on the highway reasonably close to the airport (no plane noise though). It's about a 5 min drive or $10 cab ride into town.
The only negative would be the light system - while highly modern, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the tiny blue light on the control switch, so had to cover it with a towel at night! :)
Overall, a cheap, pay-for-what-you-get, clean comfy place.

Room Tip: executive spa room was lovely!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The most uncomfortable, hard bed I have ever had to sleep in- or should I say NOT sleep in! you could feel the wire in the matress and it felt like the bed had no padding at all. Its so true that the people who run the place should try out the beds they are offering to make sure the customers will be comfortable.
Ive slept on some hard beds before but this one takes the cake. The other bed in the room had a big slump on one side of it- not good at all!. The air conditoning didnt begin to cool the room down until about 4am, which I know because i was still awake! The ceiling fan speeds were fast, faster or super fast! noisy, squeeky, and annoying.
Although there was a group of us staying in the room, we were only provided 2 towels and had to ask for more towels and milk, these should have been sorted when we booked in.
The shower-head adjustablility was not right, possibly broken.
A young man at reception was friendly and helpful, but an older woman sort of gave the impression she would rather be elsewhere.

If asked if I reccommened this place, I would sadly have to say no, stay somewhere else.

One positive was that it was priced reasonably, that still would not draw me back though.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I booked via last minute.com.au for a few nights with my father, sister & 2 year old niece. The booking 'summary' advised it would be 2 bedroom, however we were given a Studio room with structurally unstable bunk beds for 2 adults.
We checked in at 930pm, the air conditioning didint kick in on the 33 degree night until 4am when we woke up freezing without blankets provided.
The fridge failed to close - we chipped frost off the freezer, thinking this was the cause but the seal was simply stuffed.
The bathroom didn't have a locking door, water pressure was weak, only a kettle was provided for the "equipped kitchenette" and despite being told upon booking the tv had full free-to-air & selected pay tv channels, we only got 3 working channels.
I do NOT recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SwayAway
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The room wasn't amazing - but it had clean beds, some amenities, and a shower with a window to the back garden. It was a little cold when I was there so we didn't go in the pool. For the price, I thought it was good enough value - my sister and I could walk to the Esplanade during the day or to the Pier for our scuba diving trips, and took a quick cab ride back in the evenings after eating out. The hotel staff were ok, but they did help us get to a Car Rental company to go explore the Daintree.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends