“Carnivores delight ”

Ranked #42 of 676 Restaurants in Cairns
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

What do you say about the Cock and Bull - an eclectic mix of NQ locals dining in a tavern / game lodge where size matters. Patrons dine on massive pub meals surrounded by an array of game mounted on the walls. Famous in Cairns for their big meals this place is always worth a visit even if just out of curiosity.

Reviewed May 8, 2018

I've been to this establishment a few times now.This time in March 2018 a couple of times.On my first visit I ordered the beef lasagne with chips and salad.Massive portion and very tasty.On my second visit in March I ordered the chicken schnitzel with chips and salad and gravy(yet again this meal was large and delicious).With the large stuffed animals on the walls this establishment quite cool and interesting.The staff were friendly and they serve Killkenny beer on tap yummo.Will be back again next time I'm in Cairns.

Reviewed May 6, 2018

The Cock & Bull in Cairns is interesting! A sprawling property with indoor and outdoor areas, two distinct kitchens and menu's and the biggest meals I have seen outside of the USA!

A friend and I dropped in for dinner recently on a Friday night. The place was quite busy with generally a good vibe in the air. After getting a couple of beers to start with I noticed the meals coming out. Wow, this place caters for people with big appetites! I was astonished to see the large oval plate filled with steak, chips and salad being devoured on the table next to us. That is way more than I could ever handle!

I decided to order the fish and chips with salad. When it was ready to pick up (from the counter aided by a buzzer when ready) I was happy to see it wasn't the same size as the steak I had seen earlier. It was still a very large serve.
Now, I am the sort of person that likes small meals and I seem to "switch off" when I get handed a plate full like this. Thinking that I would give it a go I started tucking into it. Unfortunately the fish (Mackerel) was quite tough and chewy. It wasn't that good at all. The chips and salad was fine, just in large quantities.

I was disappointed. I can't help but feel that it was all quantity over quality. Ideal if you have been stranded in the desert for the last two weeks or like your food how they served it in "the good ole days". Not really what I would expect in 2017.

It's an interesting place. Good location, good vibe, great beers and service. Prices are very reasonable. Just the food needs a bit of work on it. This is 2017!

Reviewed May 2, 2018

Present enough. The food came out fairly quickly, just a tad bland. My partner enjoyed it a little more than me but Very very noisy.

Reviewed April 29, 2018

This is not your typical British local pub. This is is huge but friendly. There is a family area, a gaming (slot machines etc) area, a general eating area and a place for just having a pint of beer. The organisation is nearly perfect. The food is basic (no balsamic dripped anchovies with celeriac drizzle). You can get fish and chips and all the stuff I want. The portions are ample for a medium weight elephant.

3  Thank William Martin P