“enjoy the cockroaches” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 89 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“enjoy the cockroaches”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have stayed in many hostels around our planet, but this was the most cockroach infested. Bed bugs also played a part in my room which I didnt appreciate and left me bleeding, i think keeping these pesty critters away are not a priority for this hostel as i did make 3 complaints, The staff were friendly, and the location is right opposite the water which was nice, they have a restauarant next door called Rattle and Hum where the food is fine, but again we saw cockroaches there aswell as in the hostel communical kitchen, come on guys - get rid of all the cockroaches and bed bugs and this can be a nice place I am sure. Would have rated it 4 stars if it was "less populated"

Room Tip: Keep a can of bug spray handy
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I checked out of Global Waterfront a few days ago and miss my new made friends. I found Global Waterfront a very friendly and sociable hostel. The location is second to none. The lagoon is just across the road, its like having your own private pool. Rattle n Hum next door a great place for a cool refreshing drink after a long day of doing nothing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Global backpackers proved to be the perfect hostel for me as I'm travelling on my own. Arriving there, I felt comfortable straight away. Really friendly staff and just a generally a relaxed welcoming atmosphere where it was easy to feel involved. Cleanliness wise I have no complaints and the facilities were more than adequate. The travel desk as well went out of their way to help me plan all my trips.

Overall a really pleasant stay. Loads of stuff to do with awesome entertainment people... Definitely a good place if ya wanna party!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here before going fruit picking for a month.... It was so much fun! Right across from the lagoon, it is definitely in the best price in Cairns. Its also cheap, which is really great for those of us on a budget.... and the rooms are really nice for the price. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm which has its own sink for less than $100 per week. The lounge is great and overlooks the lagoon. Its definitely one of the funnest places at night with everyone getting together for some drinks. The building is a bit old, but everything is clean with lots of cleaners working every day. The regular staff were great and helped us organize trips and gave me advice to find farmwork.

I can't wait to go back in a couple days and say hi to everyone again!

Room Tip: definitely ask about any specials as the girls at the desk always are running a couple. Plus if you...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is the worst paid-accommodation I have ever stayed at. I was there a few months ago and since my fury has subsided so this wont be quite as comprehensive a review as it would've been.

Needless to say that facilities are appalling. The kitchen whilst reasonably well stocked is the smallest of any hostel I stayed in during my 6months in Aus. If you are down for its opening in the morning you can see the staff making a token attempt to clean the place - as they vaguely mop around the highways of scuttling cockroaches (and I'm a tropical entomologist, so I'm used to insects and sleeping in the rainforest). Definitely not clean.

During my stay there I had one shower with hot water, the rest were cold. When I asked the desk about this they said don't shower at peak times. Fair enough, but they couldn't tell me when peak times were. So I tried early morning, late morning, afternoon, evening, during-the-night. And all were cold. My conclusion is that it is always peak time, so don't expect a hot shower.

The layout of the place is also ridiculous all central rooms are off of a huge internal area that spans form the floor (where the kitchen and common area is) to the ceiling. So all the noise from people chatting cooking,even clattering on the computer keyboards is like its just outside your room. And of course the rooms don't even have windows - just some ill fitting shutters. So there really is no separation, and even for someone who sleeps well and uses earplugs it was almost impossible to get any sleep.

I had booked for 4 nights there but after the second night of no sleep no hot water no room to be able to cook. I had had enough and wanted to move. Only the reception staff was having none of it. No cancellations or refunds is their policy. I tried to explain that the service they were offering was really not 'fit for purpose' in that, I pay for a hostel for somewhere I can sleep and that has running hot water. I wasn't even asking for a refund for the previous two nights - those I cold write off. But her position was that if I moved out now I couldn't get back the money for the two nights I had paid in advance - pointing to the little no refunds. I tried to reason that this was just if you changed your mind, not if there was an actual problem. In the end I spoke with her manager who told me the exact same thing. I don't know australian law, but this feels decided like it might have been illegal. At the very least it is terrible customer service. And none of the staff I spoke to were in the slight be concerned or helpful. They weren't flat out rude at least. But it felt very might like they just didn't care.

The absolute only plus side to the place is that it is well located. But that said there are 3 or 4 others within 2 minutes walks, so that's not even a selling point. As other's have said, stay here only as a last resort.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Airlie Beach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Very good budget hostel in Cairns with the best location. The staff was always helpful and even helped me reconfirm trips that I booked through another travel desk. Also with some awesome specials like 4th night free... it was the cheapest hostel in Cairns. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned daily so everything was kept clean. Also the staff have free activities most night so it is a great way to make friends.

Room Tip: While cheaper- the 10 bed dorm has a balcony overlooking the waterfront!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

By far the best hostel i've stayed in while i've been in Australia! The staff are so friendly + hillarious and the entertainments made my stay so amusing! From the first night i stayed there i felt like i'd been there for months!
Staff giving everyone their own nick names instantly made me feel comfortable with being on my own in a new place, pranks played on staff, pre drinking in the common area before going out - JUST EVERYTHING! I LOVED IT!

If i ever go back to Cairns I am there!

Long Live 302!!

Room Tip: Some people i met were in 201 and 202 which had balcony's overlooking the lagoon + the sea, for...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo