“Great Ocean Front Views, Comfortable Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We had a Ocean Front View Room on 5th floor...Enjoyed sitting on Balcony.
The 5th-6th and 7th floors have the higher views.
Room was Very Good... Bathroom was small but usable.
the min Refrigerator was great for putting your own stock in.,
The rainforest and Fish in Atrium was attractive.
Staff was Very helpful and pleasant.
No free Wi-Fi but has 4 PC's for near lobby 2.00 per 15 min, Within
Walking Distance to downtown for dozens and dozens of bars and Restaurants.
Breakfast is 22 pp was an average breakfast. Plenty of Tour businesses
near by or in Lobby... Lobby Tour person is extremely busy. it was 25-30
for Taxi fare to form Airport. Would Not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better the view
1  Thank CHICAGO049
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Hello CHICAGO049,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the stunning views from your room.

The Barramundi in our atrium are about 20 years old and weigh up to 20kgs.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns; should you travel this way again we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I reviewed this hotel some time ago and feel that an updated review is necessary.

I previously gave the Holiday Inn a thumbs up for probably being the best hotel in Cairns for business-people. I endorse that.

My experiemce this time was even better than the previous one. The General Manager goes out of his way to make guests feel welcome by training his staff to be not only attentive but also friendly and helpful. He has also introduced some innovations.

I attended a 'welcoming' cocktail drink and canapes get-together for hotel guests and was most impressed with all staff that were present.

I will re-state what I said in my previous review - the rooms are conducive to doing a bit more work after hours with a well-designed desk. The rooms are comfortable and well-furnished and have that 'feel-good' atmosphere.

There is ample parking underneath and the hotel is well-located to the harbour and beach-front.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the sea
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank WellTravelledAussie2
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Hello WellTravelledAussie2,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

I am so happy to see that we are consistently meeting your needs.

Our Priority Club welcome drinks are a good way for us as a team to spend some more time with our valued guests. I always enjoy getting to know our guests better.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Only had one night & arrived late. Was very disappointing to find absolutely no mini bar facilities in the room. Not even a bottle of water. U needed to call for it to be stocked, not what u feel like doing at 11pm at night. Next we went for breakfast arriving at 9.40 am 20mins before closing to find it completely packed up & bistro empty. Again disappointing after a late night.
The room was great & reception staff polite & understanding but really could do little to rectify either issue.

1  Thank littlemyrtle

Hello littlemyrtle,

Thank you for your feedback.

As Cairns has a strong leisure market, it was found that guests would prefer a mini bar fridge they could stock with their own goodies. Mini bar items are available 24hours through room service and can also be purchased from our bottle shop.

I have passed your comments regarding breakfast on to our Food and Beverage team.

Should you travel through Cairns again I hope you will choose to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We had a King Ocean View room on the 6th Floor overlooking Cairns Bay and the Coral Sea beyond.
The room was large with a nice balcony but bathroom was a little small.
Hotel was set in a rainforest atmosphere with nice bar and restaurants.
In walking distance to the shops and marinas of Cairns
The staff and managers were very friendly and helpful.

Great hotel, we will stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for Oceanfront
1  Thank Learnings

Hi Learnings,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

I'm glad you enjoyed you stay. I think the atmosphere of Cairns makes for great relaxing holidays.

Please visit us again at Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

I had a short one night stay at the hotel post a fishing trip. I was simply looking for a hotel that was conveniently located and which was reasonably seeing I was checking in in the evening and checking out at 4am!

I managed to book the room on the internet at an amazing price. I didn't expect much but found the hotel to be incredible value. Really friendly and efficient staff at check in, well-maintained and comfortable room, very clean. Overall, great hotel and great service in the short time I was there.

The only negative is sound proofing isn't great in the hotel. Still, highly recommended and I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Hi Kikh2002,

I was glad to see you enjoyed your short but sweet stay with us.

Please come and stay a little longer next time.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel (First stay was a arrive late depart early type so couldn't really give any meaningful review). First of all I love the location along the esplanade and yet a little further away from the nightlife hustle and bustle nearer to the lagoon. Room was clean and comfortable if a little sterile. The service received during this stay was terrible as my room was ready although I checked in at about 4pm! Had to drag my luggage down to reception and waited for them to sort it out. Was offered a complimentary breakfast to make up for it but I declined as I have no use for it anyway. Finally reached my room and discovered that internet costs $28 per day so I asked if I could have complimentary internet instead. Receptionist said it was okay but upon check out I realised that I was charged the full amount for internet use!!Receptionist was somewhat reluctant to fix this but eventually did after speaking to her supervisor. Did not feel comfortable as receptionist's attitude wasn't the best and I was made to feel as though they did me a favour by removing those charges! Wrote to the hotel to complain and received a phone call from the operations manager a couple of days later so my judgement is still reserved as I have another upcoming stay shortly. Hopefully the experience will be better otherwise I will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach/hotel swimming pool on high floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bxs29

Hello bxs29,

Thank you for posting your comments.

Feedback is very important and helps us make improvements.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly on the email below regarding anything for your upcoming stay.

Thank you again for your feedback.

dm2@holidayinncairns.com.au

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I agree with Jan S's comments that the 4.5 rating is misleading. We had a lovely stay - very friendly staff, beautiful views, and a nice tropical feel with well kept gardens in the atrium. Conveniently located with bus stop right outside the door. Expect a 3.5 star hotel and you'll be very, very pleased. I would highly recommend this hotel, just want to set exectations accordingly. We booked online for $139 which included a full breakfast for 2 and felt this was a terrific value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan L

Hello Susan L,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You most definitely got yourself a good deal.

We hope to welcome you back again sometime.