2,475 results
All reviews double tree holiday inn barramundi warm cookies tour desk bottle shop ocean view buffet breakfast excellent location travel desk duty manager bit dated the great barrier reef an upgrade port douglas cairns esplanade visit cairns
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First off, the DoubleTree is a mid-tier chain so my expectations were moderate. The staff at the front desk and the restaurants were stellar and always helpful, so they get 4 stars. The breakfast included because I’m Hhonors Diamond was really extensive (maybe one of the most extensive breakfast buffets I had seen, including barista coffee/lattes). The property is OK, the room was tiny and the bathroom microscopic. But, ever trying was clean and comfortable. I’d seen the mixed reviews but was really going to be busy for 2 days in Cairns, so basically we slept and showered in the room. It’s adequate for that, but it’s not luxurious. We did have a balcony with a marina view and that was actually nice. It’s a 3 star hotel, no more, no less.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
doubletreecairns2017, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for choosing to stay at Doubletree Cairns on your recent visit, and for taking the time to review. Your feedback is greatly appreciate! We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton Cairns as a getaway for our anniversary. We had reviewed a few hotels but chose this hotel based on the photos on the website & the fact that it was a Hilton hotel. Even though it had mixed reviews we thought it also had a good location. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. We were given a room on the 6th floor no balcony. The room was quite small which wouldn’t have worried us but unfortunately it was very run down and dated. Upon opening the cupboard to the fridge confirmed how old the room really was. Upon walking into the bathroom we discovered it was not only very very small it hadnt been clean properly with a ‘hair’ staring right at us! I showed a staff member who was surprised and embarrassed at what he saw. After complaining staff promptly moved us to another room on the 4th floor. Even though this room was bigger and with a balcony it was still dated. Lamp shade in corner of room broken and sitting lopsided and marks on the wall etc. The fridge also dated and not working properly (freezing all of our drinks). Again our complaints were promptly dealt with. Whilst staff were quick to rectify any complaints I was angry at a male staff member who informed me, when I asked if there were any stairs available in the hotel for use, advised me that the only stairs available were only for emergency use. For someone like me who has a phobia of lifts and prefers stairs, I was disappointed to discover after a day or so there were Infact stairs for hotel guests to use running up 7 floors that were out in the open air (not like ones located in a stairwell). How could a staff member working at the hotel not know these stairs existed. They were unavoidable leading right to the pool area. This really really caused me a lot of frustration. The only positive I have is the pool area. The pool was quite large (yet water very cool). The chairs were also comfortable with a pool bar available to purchase food and drinks. The pool bar staff were lovely and always helpful. While our stay was satisfactory I wouldn’t return. This was also the opinion of other guests who also also commented to us how dated the hotel is.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
doubletreecairns2017, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy. Our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The room was spacious and comfortable, the staff were welcoming and efficient, the location is very good and the amenities are good as well. The rain forest planting in the central atrium adds a great feel to the property.

It's the type of experience I've come to expect from A Double Tree and I'll happily stay with the brand again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Eastern or Northern side to avoid coming back to a hot room in the afternoons.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am glad to hear that your stay with us was a memorable one! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

The staff really made us feel welcome. Friendly and keen to please. The room was clean and met all our expectations. The hotel is well located and enjoys good views across the ocean (in some rooms). Some of the fittings in our room were a bit old, but still in working order.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I am sorry to see you had some issues with other areas. I appreciate your constructive comments and will be sure to communicate with all departments in the Hotel. Your feedback is valuable and greatly appreciated.

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Reqested in booking for a room not looking into adjacent buildings. Got a room with partial seaview but with the balconies of the adjacent building staring right in. Im sure they meant well with the partial esplanade view but it meant I spent 5 days with the curtains pulled. Which leads to the next point. The rooms are about as homely as factory floor. Dull. Bathrooms tiny and the shower rose in mine provided an appalling experience for 5 days. The bed felt partly collapsed, certainly on the edges where people sat most frequently. Room cleaning was good but I got sour milk supplied for my coffee once. What a way to start the day. Light globes were warm white on one side ot the TV and cool white on the other. Switches were all on or all off. The exception was the desk lamp which had a broken globe, so not working at all. All little things that matter at that room price.
Most annoying was receiving txts from the hotel asking to rate the stay. When I replied and explained what my issue was, they're response was to ask me how to fix it. It was as clear as day so I dont know why they pestered me when they could have said "we can do this for u" or "we're unable to assist due to high occupancy". It felt like lip service. Hilton Honors membership meant little or nothing because i had booked through an agency. Overall, a very poor experience.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

We apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again