“great location”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I enjoy staying at the Hilton it is in a great location, the staff are always very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and they have a great breakfast

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed for three nights in April, downfalls were numerous but not so tragic as to ruin the stay. When we arrived no one was there to help us with our bags. Went to check-in and had to wait for 20 minutes for someone to serve us, at one point a bus load arrived and they were served before us. Also at one point a lady who was not in uniform passed us by while we waited and asked "just waiting to check in?" when we replied yes she just said "shouldn't be much longer" and turned on her heels and walked away...there were free terminals at the counter so I have no idea why it would have been so hard for her to check us in?! When we finally were able to check in with another staff member we were upgraded (due to the fact we have stayed here a few times in the past and probably because we were grumpy by then). We were upgraded to the Executive Floor in a king room, so by then we were happy and enjoyed spending the rest of the day on our balcony watching the downpour. The beds were comfortable, that was a plus.

As we had been upgraded to the executive floor we noted from the in-room guide book that we had access to breakfast & pre-dinner drinks in their top floor lounge. Although not interested in the drinks we were happy to have breakfast included...it's not fancy, not even anything cooked (unless you count a boiled egg), but a piece of toast and a coffee is great in the morning so we were happy. So the first day we went to breakfast, the girl serving was very pleasant and we enjoyed the rest of the day..However, the second day we went to breakfast we were accosted by another older lady who when we told her our room number and surname (as we had the day before) proceeded to tell us very loudly, announcing for the whole room to hear, that breakfast wasn't included in our upgrade??!! When we explained that the girl the previous day had said nothing and that it was clear from the in-room guide book that people staying on the executive floor had access to the lounge for breakfast she let us stay and have the measly piece of toast and coffee....we didn't bother the third day. If I had paid for the executive lounge upgrade I wouldn't be all that impressed.

With regards to the hotel in general they need to do something about the corridors when it's raining, they become really slippery and are a hazard when the typical Cairns rain comes pouring through the middle of the hotel atrium, I would definitely not want older people or children walking the corridors when it's wet. Also the pool bar was never open when we stayed there and the pool has no attendant at any time. It's a shame.

In summary, we didn't not experience anything exceptional and would say that the service staff are pretty average, I'm disappointed that we didn't get the experience others seem to have had from tripadvisor, but I wouldn't go so far as to tell people not to book here if you get a good rate. Beds are comfy, rooms are a good size, bathroom is clean but you would expect that in any Hilton I guess.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SezzieM
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and my apologies that you’ve experienced service below expectation. The Executive Floor team are usually exceptional and I record very high Guest Satisfaction scores for their department – I’m sorry there was confusion with your entitlements. Your comments are passed through my team for their review and appropriate action. I hope we can welcome you back on another trip north in the future.

John Lucas

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This Hilton is up-to- the-task in terms of accommodation quality and service.

Good location in the city although there aren't a lot of hot places to go. 2 minute walk to the reef boat docks. Nice boardwalk to run along the water in the morning. And steps away from the casino if that's your thing. For what it's worth, I witnessed, by far, the worst blackjack players I've ever seen at that casino.

Executive lounge (we were pleased to be upgraded as HHonors Gold) is well stocked with great service.

Breakfast buffet was diverse to accommodate many cultures. Slight variations to the offerings each day. Good quality and good service again. I also learned I could order french toast.

Last, but not least, why doesn't anybody talk about the BATS?!?! Each day at around 6pm, thousands of bats (think big, Halloween-looking bats) fill the sky as they come from areas in the city across the harbor into the trees on the other side. At first we were freaked out, but the second day, we looked forward to the surreal experience. Not a Hilton sponsored show, but they should promote it anyway - very memorable!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cubshead

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read you’ve enjoyed your stay with us. You make note of the great Waterfront Location – we’re a short walk to the heart of Cairns including great nightspots, restaurants and bars. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the service from the Executive Lounge and Breakfast teams. The bats are quite spectacular and many of our guests plan their evening around watching the ‘bat show’ which happens around dusk. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Tropical North on your next visit.

John Lucas

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I'll make this review about The Hilton Cairns property short and to the point:

1. Superb, Caring and Friendly guest services: Front Desk, Concierge, Tour Desk, Hanuman
Restaurant, Happy Hour Bar, Housekeeping, Fitness Center
2. Clean spotless room
3. Clean spotless bathroom
4. Clean and Fresh beddings
5. Soft comfortable bed and pillows
6. Great City view. I'm sure the ocean view would've been just as nice
7. Very close proximity, walking distance to Boardwalk, Pier, tour operators and loads of exotic restaurants
8. Very close proximity, walking distance to The Esplanade
9. Beautiful view from the Boardwalk
10. Family friendly hotel and surrounding tourist attractions
11. One more thing: Great Hotel security, late night access into lobby requires a swipe of your registered proximity sensor key, and elevator access also requires swipe of your registered proximity sensor key. You can't discount security. I felt safe throughout my stay at The Hilton Cairns.

Thank you, Hilton Cairns Australia for a wonderful and memorable Holiday. I look forward to my next Holiday in Cairns, and booking at the Hilton Cairns.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Be specific with your expectations and everything should workout just fine.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Hilton Cairns. I’m sure readers will appreciate the detailed points. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay making particular note of our Premium waterfront location, the great service and the ‘family friendly’ atmosphere. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to the Tropical North.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Wow from the moment you walked in the doors......what a wonderful bunch of staff at this Hilton Hotel!
We were able to check in early after arriving at 10am. Rooms were nice and big, with great amenities.
We had a great view from the 9th floor, and had access to the executive lounge.
They serve a great continental breakfast, with all the fresh fruit,juices,bread, pastries.....Eggs and tea/coffee.
There is also a nightly cap at 5pm....serving drinks and nibbles, while watching sunset.
I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking at staying in Cairns!

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra for the 9th floor, executive facilities.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the comments via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns – the team and I are very pleased you’ve enjoyed your stay. The Executive Floor and Lounge is managed by a great team of dedicated staff and it’s great to read you’ve enjoyed the facility – it’s an ideal place to sit on the balcony and enjoy the city and mountain backdrop of Cairns. I hope you can escape the southern winter and visit us again sometime.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Pleasant staff and a great location-wonderful views of Trinity Inlet or Cairns Bay. Executive floor rooms are very comfortable. Note that the Executive floor lounge can get very crowded around sunset, as it has the best views for sunset!
Overall a pleasant hotel stay, centrally located.
My only criticism would be of the gardens along the central walkways-they are tired and in need of some tlc-the walkway gardens could be stunning if a bit of time and effort were spent on them and they were planted correctly.

Dear Traveller

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review of Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your time here in Tropical North Queensland, noting our key features of great location and views. In reference to the interior gardens we’ve been in the process of a full garden facelift which has required some heavy cutting and cleaning up to start – that’s why they have been looking a little bare. That’s now complete and we’re finishing with a re-planting program. I hope we can welcome you and your family back again when you when next you travel to the Tropical North.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

this is a very nice and clean hotel located right on the marina and just a few blocks away from most cairns attractions. very pleasant staff, good service. their wi-fi service is very poor, probably the worst i've ever had, but they do have a business center available with internet services.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the comments via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns. You’ve made some great comments on our premium location and the service from the dedicated team, I really appreciate the feedback. I note, though, your dissatisfaction with the wifi service. Be assured that we have a new program ‘Stay Connected’ soon to be initiated that will alleviate any wi-fi issues – in the meantime our free lobby wi-fi service has just been upgraded to provide more speed and compatibility for guests. You’ve travelled quite a distance from Chicago but hope we can welcome you back to Cairns and the Hilton on your next trip.