“Great location and some cheap deals make price great too”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here twice - once in a bay view room and once in a garden view. Both rooms were very much the same. The beds are very comfy the bathrooms are very good but the showers are excellent! Great pressure and responsive. There is free Internet in the rooms which saves $20 a day on other hotels. The pool is very relaxing with sunny and shady spots. It is close to the fun end of cairns and the pier area has great choice of restaurants.
We don't usually stay in such nice hotels but wotif had heat deals and it was worth the treat!
Forgot to mention the staff are very friendly and helpful- more than other hotels!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank sembrono
Write a ReviewReviews (2,664)

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We have stayed at a number of hotels around Cairns over the years (usually the best hotel at the best price at the time of booking) but we have now found our home away from home when we visit Cairns. The staff at the Shangri-La in Cairns make you feel welcome the moment you enter those sliding doors until the time you drive away. Customer service is back people and these guys have made it their own.
If you really want to experience the best of the best I highly recommend the Horizon Club for both value and service. I really do feel in two minds letting this secret out.....because I dont want it to be booked out next time I try to stay so for that reason only I am not going to say anymore....you really do need to find out for yourself (I promise you will not be disappointed).

Room Tip: Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon Club Horizon C...
2  Thank smartin33
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Arrived at the Shangri-La for a 5-night stay - hoping it was as good as the reviews: it was. First impressions weren't great - check-in was not at the Horizon Club but the front-desk, the fruit in the room looked a little tired and the welcome letter in the room was addressed to someone else; but that was as bad as it got. The Marina view was great, the balcony huge, the room clean and the porter smiling and genuinely helpful: all the staff were the same - couldn't do enough for you. When I say helpful; I mean they remembered who you were, what you liked and took time to chat.
So why the Horizon Club? The breakfast and canapes are a great start and finish to the day and you're looked after. My wife likes crispy bacon - every morning, without prompting, the bacon arrived. The breakfast was hearty - cereals, pastries, fruit, cooked: not a huge range but you don't starve. Canapes much the same and a range of beers and wines and nibbles. Still hungry? Restaurants all around the pier.
The best thing? No need to travel overseas for a decent break. Can't believe I've finally visited a hotel in Australia with the friendliness of an old style motel.

Room Tip: Spoil yourself and opt for the Horizon Club (or request you overlook the marina - Easterly aspect...
1  Thank Lokim
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We arrived at the Shangri la Cairns for a two night stay in a horizon club room. From the moment we stepped in the door the service was exceptional from the reception desk and the concierge. We arrived in our room which was lovely with huge balcony and beautiful bathroom. Breakfast and evening canapés in the horizon club room were great with the most helpful staff I have had the pleasure of experiencing in a hotel! The only negative is that they forgot to service our room on the second day but this was rectified very quickly by a call to reception.
Overall bravo Shangri La .

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Speac
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and although an older hotel that perhaps is in need of the modern facelift that so many Shangri-La hotels have received in recent years, this one makes up for it with it's exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a truly welcoming smile, not one put on to please the guests. The rooms were of a good size and ours had a lovely view of the marina. They could just do with a bit of updating. Lovely pool to unwind around though.
The hotel does have a good location on the marina and is well catered for by a large selection of restaurants. I would recommend upgrading to the Horizon Club. With this you have access to a private lounge where complimentary breakfast is served, soft drinks and beverages are available throughout the day and between 5pm and 7pm a complimentary bar and snacks are served. Well worth the extra cost. The Horizon Club has it's own dedicated staff who are an absolute delight and really go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stopped over for a night on our way back from a luxury holiday in the Great Barrier Reef. I found it on Wotif.com and got it for a good price and as it was just one night I didn't have any real expectations.

However, from the moment we arrived all of the staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade for AU$40 to a corner room with Horizon Club access. We didn't know what we were paying for but thought we'd give it a go. I have pretty tough dietary requirements and double checked that there would be food I could eat.

We were shown to our room - it was a long way from reception but they did give us two choices, one that was closer but when we asked for their opinion they told us that as long as we didn't mind a bit of a walk, the second option was the better room. So after a bit of a confusing walk but with a very helpful member of staff we found our room. The hotel is a little dated but they have added all the latest technology - nice big flat screen TV, on-demand movies, wi-fi included in the price etc. It had it's own balcony overlooking the Marina with plenty of space, light and amenities.

A knock at the door half an hour later and we had fresh fruit in the room – a thoughtful gesture after my conversation about dietary requirements at reception. We had a light meal and breakfast at the Horizon Club (their executive lounge) which was very nice. Again, super helpful and attentive staff and lots of options to choose from.

It’s nice to walk along the Marina and there’s bars, cafes, shops and restaurants right outside – a great location. It was a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport (about AU$35). They have an outdoor swimming pool which was great (but cold as it was March) and the table tennis was good for a laugh!

So if you don’t mind slightly dated décor but great service and value for money – this is a great option. I don’t usually write a review for a one night stop over stay but thought it was worth doing because we were so impressed by the service.

Room Tip: Go for the Horizon Club rooms, Marina view - North Tower
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I had the oppurtunity to spend 3 nights here, from the time I had booked in to the time I left the staff where very helpful and courtious, meals in the restuarant where of good quality and the room was large and well presented with a great view of the Bay, all the facilities that this hotel offered well maintained and easily accessable

The location right on the bay with only a 2 minute walk into Cairns City centre was fantastic

I travel at 2 plus times a month with my work and staying here was like being on holiday

I will being going back to Cairns with my family and this hotel is where we will be staying

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business