“Great Location”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Location”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We had the same room as the previous reviewer - 6th floor, and agree with all her comments. Were a bit disappointed that we didnt have more of an ocean view as well, as that is what we booked. But, the view of the mountains and out to the marina was nice as well. Thought the glass shower overlooking the kitchen was a bit weird. The room is a bit tired - furniture and walls worn etc, and the cleaner didnt do a very good job of cleaning the floor. The air con is an old system and quite noisy. Otherwise, it was a great location and the receptionist couldnt of been more friendly or helpful. If I did stay there again, I think I would ask for one of the front rooms with a full ocean view.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Yankalilla, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I stayed for 5 nights with my son in October. We had an apartment on the 6th floor, positioned more to the back of the complex facing south. I requested an ocean view, and I did get it, just not as much as I wanted. Having said that we could see the Cairns public pool area, part of the marina and around to the hills, pretty much 180 degree views.
The room was clean, although a bit tired looking and sparse. There wasnt much room in the "bedroom" area which you first walk into when entering the apartment and there was nowhere to put your suitcases.
The bathroom was in the centre of the apartment with round spa bath which was an adequate size. The only thing I thought was unusual was the glass window around the spa which looked into the kitchen and living area! Thank goodness for the shower curtain! I asked reception for another shower curtain as one only just covered the window, and as I was travelling with my 23 year old son I didnt want to ruin his eyesight by him seeing his mother in the shower! And visa-versa.
There was airconditioning in the apt but no ceiling fans and we found the a/c quite noisy. With the humidity there was no way we could sleep with it off.
It was a convenient location if you wanted to go shopping and enjoy the nightlife in the area but we found it a bit noisy at night.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mazzanrocket
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed at the Royal Break Free for 7 nights this month with my girlfriend. The rooms were clean, great view from the 6th floor(and any room from level 2 and up), the girls on reception couldn't have been more helpful with any requests. The amenities were clean and well maintained. The location is the key. Directly across from the lagoon pool and shops. We found the price reasonable and will be staying there again. We could not fault the accommodation at all.

Room Tip: Above the 2nd floor with a balcony facing the northeast
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I read the reviews before I went and was bothered I must admit. Is this the best hotel that I have stayed at..no. Is it the cleanest ...no. However, the location is amazing. Everything that you could want was in a block of the hotel.
The staff were great and service excellent. The lock on my bathroom door failed and I locked myself out. This was about 10pm. Within 5 minutes I had a staff member at my door and it was fixed.
What you have to remember about this hotel is that all of the units are privately owned and everyone is different. So when you book make you ask what you want. Eg,carpet vs no carpet. Cooking facilities etc.
The view that I had from the balcony on the ocean view room was excellent.
Unless you get a good deal I think the prices are too high. I got an ocean view room for $95.00 per night and thought that was reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask at reception. As the rooms are all privately owned they are all different.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank donnasperls1
Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted. Everything went downhill from there. When we opened the door we were shocked to find a mother and her young child resting on the bed! After apologising and returning to the front desk, we were asked to take a seat while they sorted things out. This took some time and included a staff member going upstairs to ensure they were not giving us keys to an occupied room (again).

When they handed us the second set of keys we were told to be careful as the floors were still a little damp. We found the floor soaking wet, the refrigerator was open and stuffed with towels (defrosting), the air conditioning did not work and the bed was well below par. We were a bit tired, having arrived from an international flight so we opted to not create any more dramas for ourselves at this one night accommodation. While unpacking, a member of the cleaning staff walked in on us (without knocking), not realising the room was now occupied. By the way, there are no internal latches to ensure your security when you are in the room.

All I can say is that we were very happy to leave this accommodation the next day. While the location is great, it certainly is not worth the hassle of the incompetent staff. Also take note, the bars operate late and can be loud if you book the water view rooms along the beautiful Cairns esplanade.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish B
Brian T, Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Just wanted to say that we are sorry for the bad experience on check-in by this guest. September 2011 was when one of our two fabulous receptionists was very new to the job and the industry. Both are very capable and well trained now and we receive heaps of praise from many guests about how friendly and helpful our receptionists are.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This was our second stay at Royal Harbour. We were disapointed on arrival to find we were not on a high floor as requested but our apartment on the 3rd had great views. The reception staff were excellent
The cleaning left a lot to be desired, particularly the floors. The bench top oven and microwave are overdue for replacement and there was very little in the way of kitchen equipment, what was there looked like it had been left by previous guests. Mismatched crockery and broken knives and forks. Not even a bottle or tin opener. Fridge also well overdue for a defrost.
Not sure if we will stay here again even though we love the location as it has really deteriorated since we were first there in 2009

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Not knowing quite what to expect in Cairns we were immediately taken by the fabulous view from our spacious 1 bedroom apartment but also the privacy on the balcony. Staff were very helpful and friendly, reception desk open all reasonable hours. Our apartment was well fitted out with leather lounges and contempory furnishings. Great little kitchen too and a spa in bathroom . The only minor comment would be the bed covers which are somewhat dated. As soon as you walk in you think - 'ex motel 1970's '. Re: 'ants' in a previous post - this is the tropics and it is a reality of the wonderful warm climate. They were so tiny and so few to be barely noticable. We booked months ahead and got a great rate and a great room so that is my advice to others.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple