“partyyyy!!!”

Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #57 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 3 August 2011

the table of death, time out and mad monday!!! Evryone has fun at Asylum!!! There is a curtsey bus to town but a little far out but to make up for it there is a free meal at the Woolshead for dinner!!! Very good value for money!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel

Reviewed 18 May 2011

I usually go along with the "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all", but this place holds a special place in my memory. After six months of travelling and staying in several hostels in various countries, this place still shocks me. It's advertised by backpackers as a great value and wonderful way to meet people with all the social events. When my boyfriend and I checked in, we had high expectations. Crackers (receptionist) was incredibly friendly and offered a lot of help. Then it all went down hill.

The room we stayed in didn't have lockers and the four other people in our six bed dorm had stuff littered across the room (clearly had been there for a long time). The air-con unit didn't work properly and the bunk beds were really squeaky, which were annoying when bunk-mates arrived at 2AM drunk to go to bed. We were happy that the place was only a short walk to the main area (but so are many other hostels).

Then, on the second night, I was attacked by bed bugs. If it were just a few bugs and a few bites, I probably wouldn't have cared, but the bed was infested with both large and infant bed bugs that were even crawling in broad daylight (not normal). I asked one of the guys at the desk if we could change rooms and he told us that he'd switch the mattresses for us instead. We didn't want to cause a fuss, so we said sure, as long as the problem was fixed.

He stripped the bed and put the sheets (still with visible bedbugs) on the floor and took the mattress outside. We left the hostel to give him time to change the bed. Four hours later (and 100+ bites itching) we went back to the hostel to find the same sheets with the same bedbugs on the floor and my same mattress outside. He either gave up on the idea of helping us or just forgot. When we said that we were going to switch hostels, he started giving us excuses about how you can get bed bugs at the best of hotels and it's not the hostels fault. I agree...no place can prevent bedbugs, but a hostel/hotel can take responsibility for their beds/ bedrooms.

They kept our deposit and made us bring the bedbug ridden sheets to the front desk in order to get the key deposit back. Once they realized that we were miserable and less than satisfied, the same guy that was complacent to help in the first place offered to drive us to the YHA a few blocks away.

Aside from my personal catastrophe:
The kitchen was pretty gross and dishes were stacked in the sink with bugs for the two days we were there. The showers / bathrooms were a bit rundown, but manageable. The sitting area was always clustered with "residents" more so than backpackers and the internet was only free in 15 minute intervals (and was fairly slow). I hope they changed, but I wouldn't stay there if it were free.

Room Tip: stay at the YHA
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Globalmischief
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I cant believe the bad ratings i see here. this hostel is the best one and no doubt. you got sooo much free stuff and the fun factor is amazing. the staff is the most friendly and professional i ever met, they helped me with tours and everything. this hostel is very very old and it has its character but it is clean! it looks tared down and it is in some parts but you can really feel the history in the walls of this place. i felt really home here and i know that others did too. most of the people who checked in for a couple of days tended to stay for weeks! beautiful huge backgarden and hammocks. even tho its a party hostel, the party was always in the front so it was nice and quiet in the back. best memories of all! thx Asylum!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank FiffiCairns
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Read some of the reviews, Its either the worst or the best... haha! Depends who you are. This is a Party house. This is where you come to let loose and forget everything, where you could care less about the little ants crawling up and down the walls or that the A/C is non exising. This is not for the "Princess" light hearted traveller. If in your luggage you have more hair gel or mascara than food, this is not the place for you.

Would i recommend this hostel to a friend??? Depends on the Friend. ;)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank yomofo_11
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I should have read the reviews. My partner and I booked this place last-minute. What a mistake that was. Disgusting and dirty are the words that come to my mind when I think of this rat-infested hole. My partner and I stayed here for a night and it was the absolute worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I've traveled a lot and have stayed in many backpackers and hostels but this was the worst place. We didn't even use the shower because they so dirty and disgusting. We barely slept because the walls are paper thin a.k.a non-existing. The walls and window frames in our room weren't even stable - they were broken! Our room was literally falling apart. I didn't take any photos as I didn't want any memories. We checked out as soon as we could and found a nice hostel a few blocks away that charged us LESS. I wouldn't even recommend this place to my enemies.

Note: If you own Asylum, take my advice: TEAR IT DOWN! re-build something DECENT. You should be embarassed that you're actually charging people to stay somewhere so crappy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank SaraDarling
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I came out of here itching. Litter on the street outside left by Asylum guests; a mess inside. The dirtiest mattress I have ever slept on - hence the itching, no doubt. A pool that looked as if it needed a serious clean, toilets that didn't flush, bathrooms that needed a proper cleaning, cockroaches all over the bedroom, very loud guests who were either pilled-up or sloshed on cheap box wine making noise until well after dawn, staff that were rude, uncaring and incompetent. A free breakfast that was a bowl of cereal. I wouldn't recommend this to an enemy, never mind a friend. There are much better choices in Cairns, believe me.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rrickyuk
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Read the reviews prior to arriving and was a little worried and yes after the first night i was ready to check out, however i gave it another night and ended up staying for 2 and a half weeks. Had the best time since arriving in Australia over 8 months ago.
Ok so the girls dorm was a little dirty and the whole place could do with a lick of paint but the kitchen and loos were always clean. All the staff were super friendly and made you feel at home and the atmosphere was great. You were encouraged to drink and join in all the fun. Mad Mondays are a must. Met some really great people. Cheap as chips as well. 100% recommended. Love it!
Amy H