See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

Place was clean and comfortable. The management was super helpful. Will help you with tours and parties alike! In this hostel you'll find like minded travellers sharing their amazing stories. It rates are reasonable too!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2017

This isn't the most modern hostel I've ever stayed in but it's definitely one of the best. The building is due a bit of an upgrade but it's cleaned everyday and kept in pretty decent condition. There are hammocks to chill in everyday and the communal area is quite big. The rooms that have A/C are pretty cool and there is adequate fridge space and a system for ensuring all food is labelled correctly and noone steals.
The onsite pool is small but clean and very well maintained perfect for just lounging around in an afternoon.
The staff are just fab. Heidi and Annie were wonderful and friendly form the word go and make it their mission to know your name and ensure your say is the best it can be.
It's just a short walk into town and down the Esplanade but far enough away to be away from all of the other bars that are constantly teeming with backpackers.
BBQ night and Pants Down Party night are not to be missed at all.
Fabulous place that was full of fabulous people.

Room Tip: 5 bed dorms are best value
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2016 via mobile

This hostel is really good. It changes my mind about backpacker hostel.

We have 2 girls so we stay in a room with 2 single beds. It is clean with electric fan and air conditioner as well. We pay $162 for 3 nights (for 2 people) so it is just around $80 each for 3 nights (i booked it through booking.com). We shared the toilet, bathroom and kitchen with others. But these facilities are very clean. I saw housekeepers clean them every night. I went to Hobart last year and also stayed in backpacker hostel 1 night. It was terrible and dirty. It was so noisy at night and I could not have a good sleep. But Asylum is a good place that u can save money and relax after a whole day trip. I slept very well in 3 nights there.

The hostel is close to the city center and beach, just around 10-15' walk.

The staff there is also nice and friendly. They help us to book the tours and also we had some discount for the tours.

If I have chance to come back Cairns again, definitely I will stay in this hostel :)

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2016

This hostel was awesome. The Manager and her assistants went all out to provide a super clean room. The prices are very affordable and close to town. I walked from the hostel to town and back, without the use of a bus.

They also helped with setting up tours and giving recommendations on the best companies to use for seeing the area. They even assisted with finding a camera for rent for the excursions. In 20 years of travel, this is one of my most favorite hostels...

Room Tip: single rooms
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2016

What a good place to be in paradise. Loved every second of it and I'm going to miss every single person here. It felt like home. It does its name justice. Great party's and also a good place to chill out. The staff get 10 points for awesomeness.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo