“Nice helpfull and careing staff, clean and overall like the best hostel in Australia!”

Cairns Girls Hostel
Ranked #48 of 85 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We really loved staying at the girls hostel in cairns. We had just arrived with the bus at 6am and the let us in the room directly so that we could get some rest. It was so nice cause we just have had some terrible nights on bus and on the boat to whitsundays so it was really nice! It was a little bit more expensive than in the rest of Cairns but still worth it for us. It was like the cleanest hostel we ever stayed in and as it's all girls it's pretty quite.

I would defently stay there next time if it's not with my boyfriend since he's not allowed ;-)

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank Gloriaaas

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Excellent hostel, i stayed here in Jan this year and it is very safe, facilites are good - kept very clean!! Plenty of places to chill out and just a very nice hostel. I would definately reccommend. Excellent location too. For me the only one down side is the lack of power points, the only ones I had were outside the room but this would definately not put me off going back, This was one of the best hostels i stayed in

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank carlyh5
United States
Reviewed 14 October 2011

When traveling alone in a foreign city as a women it may be scary to stay in a hostel. Once I heard about this all girls hostel I booked it. It was $20 a night for a bed in a six bed room. It was very clean. There were multiple fridges and two kitchens. The owner gets you great deals on excursions if you book through the hostel, and they pick you up right outside! It was very safe and meeting the girls was a lot of fun! Also, a dinner at a local restaurant/bar was included every night. I liked it so much the first time, that I came back for a second visit.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank willtravel4ever
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This place is spotlessly clean and the staff are wonderful. The facilities are great, it's only a few hundred metres from the middle of town, it's quiet and secure - and there's no problem studying (no mixed Hostel parties to contend with). Great value for money

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yosen1
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My girlfriend and backpacked the east coast of Australia and stayed in Cairns for 5 days. It was one of the cheapest and good value for money hostels we stayed at during our 3 week trip.

Dawn, the owner, was very friendly when we arrived - thought she did require a full cash payment up-front. She was very friendly and helpful with all our tour/adventure bookings. I went scuba diving, snorkeling, skydiving, and white water rafting - She helped us book them all and cheap transport to the airport as well (5 bucks a person).

I did lose my key deposit of 20 bucks when I left in the morning, because no one was at the office when i left at 4am in the morning.

There were only 2 showers and 2 toilets on my floor, but I didn't have any problems needing to wait to them, probably because I was only there to sleep. If you are just passing through, it's a great value for money hostel 48 bucks for a private room (2 beds) per night.

Dawn was very friendly and helpful. One of the nights, she even brought her own home cooked meal and shared it with me!

The location of the hostel is waking distance from the main street where all the hustle and bustle is (about a 10 min leisurely stroll).

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Get Room number 2 or 3
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank missylo
Japan
Reviewed 22 March 2011

The owner Down is A LIAR!
(I WENT TO POLICE TO GET MY MONEY BACK BUT SHE NEVER GIVES BACK.)
I stayed with 2 babies.I booked by e-mail and asked the price and the room is comfertable with no air cndtioning(our first time to cains so wan not sure about the weather).
The owner down said The price is $48 inc.meals for 3 of us, and the room is not HOT without air conditioning.
BUT after we arrived, we found the room is too hot like sauna and my babies sweating
all over the body..I told her that I might move out because it is TOO HOT.
she said "you booked 3nights so pay 3nights anyway and why don't you see how it goes tonight."and also she said the price is $20 each!
I told her that we set the price in the e-mail and she said..
"OK I will make it $50 then!"We`re extremely tired after 9hours flight and I had no choice with 2 babies &big laggeges so I paid for 3nights.
Night came and I asked about the meal and she said
"meals are served at the pub but you can't go there with your kids"
"excuse me, I choose here bacause meals are included, it is very hard for me to go out for food shopping and cook with 2 babies or eat out side!!! Can I take it away and eat here or something?"
"well .....I can't help you"
so I went out for shopping with 2sick babies at night at the day we arrived from Japan, after 9hours flight .
Next morning I told her that we're moving out because it is too hot to stay and all those terribble treatment for us PLUS lies she said in E-mail.and also to pay my money back.
I CANT BELIEVE WHAT SHE SAID.
"whats the matter?you can go anywhere but you see ,on the board here"THERE IS NO REFUND".
I NEVER FORGET THIS AWFUL WOMEN.She is the unkind ,nasty and LIAR. I tell all my friends and Japanese not to stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
22 Thank TAKE-chans

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Cairns Girls' Hostel is located in an easy to reach, excellent location. It was a very short ride from the airport and a few minutes walk from lots of the major things to do in the city. Dawn, the owner, was pretty friendly and easy to work with overall.
Do not expect to get too much sleep here in the morning While the hostel itself was pretty quiet and all the other women were friendly, the nights and early mornings were LOUD. There is a car rental store next door and they wash cars from about 7am. Also, because of the location there are sometimes loud people (drunk?) walking down the street and yelling in the middle of the night. The oscillating fan in our room also made a consistent and very annoying screech..clunk, clunk, clunk ALL NIGHT. Also, you may want to have something to deal with bugs in the rooms. I was wishing for something to spray around the room when I had a cockroach crawling up my arm as I got ready for bed one night!
There were also a few "surprise" costs. The website says linens are provided, but towels are $3 to rent. The website says 20$ key deposit--and that is per person, even if you are renting a twinshare room together. The "free evening meal" is a ticket for ONE night only to get a meal at a certain local bar/restaurant--with the purchase of a drink. Internet is 3$/hour and you can either use one of their computers or connect your own to their wifi. There also aren't supposed to be men in the hostel, but there was a man in the lounge area on our floor watching TV one night. Not a big deal, but I was glad I was totally dressed that time around!
I would be willing to stay there again for the convenience of the location and the privacy of having a women-only hostel, but probably only if they had a good rate. Overall, it's average.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends