“Good value but a bit out of the action” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairns City Sheridan

Cairns City Sheridan
Ranked #62 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Rayleigh
“Good value but a bit out of the action”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Wonderful helpful staff, very spacious room with comfy bed, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge, air con and good sized ensuite with shower. Free wifi throughout hotel and rooms a real bonus especially as in Australia there is normally a limit or you have to pay. Restaurant on site that served breakfast and dinner. Laundry room, pool and computer with printer for use too (no charge!!)
Only negative is the distance from centre of town - about a 25-30 minute leisurely walk. No prob at all if you have a car. Bit the price was so good this is the compromise we made :) overall a really good hotel!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Upon arrival it seemed things would go alright, but after a couple of nights we were ready to leave. The location is definately NOT a "short, ten minute walk to city's center" as we were told and certainly is not safe at night. The parking lot is small and open to the street, so I was uneasy about leaving my vehicle there, as there is no one to watch the parking lot at night (and there is a lot of foot traffic after dark). The receptionist was friendly, but did get a bit huffed trying to do too many things at once, definately shouldnt have to leave the desk for the restaurant or to be a porter. Had dinner at the restaurant and although the food was good, it took an unusual length of time for it to come to the table. What made it even worse was the owners were also having dinner and drinks with friends, having a great time and getting their dinner before ours, even though we had been waiting! That was a disappointment. As far as cleanliness, the stairs to our room were very dirty and cobwebs in about every corner, our bathroom was very hairy...but I took care of that myself, why bother the housekeeping when they didnt do it in the first place? Maybe my standards are too high. All in all I am not too sure how this place became a Best Western...maybe BW should do random inspections.

Room Tip: I would choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 0AussieKitty0

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

NSW Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

After a bit of research we decided to stay at the Best Western City Sheridan during our stay in Cairns. After reading some reviews we knew it was a little out of the way. Staff were great and always willing to help. We were initially given a room on 2nd floor overlooking garbage bins, thankfully staff assisted us and we were moved to the third floor overlooking the pool area.
No lift, but we knew that there were stairs to negotiate and really you only move luggage twice! Pool was fantastic, even bucketing down with rain it was still great to be in there.
Met some lovely people there and made some good friends.
Restaurant is a little small, but some nights there were only a few in there. One night it was full and we had to wait a while for our meal, only two staff on in the restaurant trying to keep up with demands, they did a great job. Meals were delicious and moderate in price.
Would I stay again? Maybe..... but I will look around at other options.

Room Tip: Room sizes are a little small for families.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Oakland, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The good
-- Price -- A happy medium between a hostel ($20/nt) and the Hilton ($240/nt).
-- Service -- The front desk staff were very helpful.
-- WiFi -- Free wifi. Simple as that and functional. No login codes or other bs. Yay!
-- Rooms -- Spacious and clean. Ours came with a queen + twin + couch.

The less good
-- No Elevator -- Lugging 40kg of luggage up three stories is not hard for me, but could be a hassle for others.
-- Few Electrical Outlets -- A real minor complaint but our room had only 4 electrical outlets. One for the A/C, one for the TV, one for the water heater, and one in the bathroom. After searching behind the couch and beds, we eventually plugged the alarm clock in where the TV was and re-charged our electronics in the bathroom.
-- Broken Safe -- Our electronic safe was broken. Not a big deal for us. The staff might have been willing to hold our stuff if we'd needed it.
-- Bugs -- Cairns is tropical and the tropics have bugs. We had a pair of roaches and a line of small ants in our room when we got there. The ant problem was solved by simply closing the balcony door. Unfortunately every time the room was cleaned the balcony door was left open again and the ants returned. In the end, I just left the "Do not disturb" sign on the door.

The bad
-- Location -- The Best Western is a long walk from the Esplanade. During the day this is no problem, but my gf and I didn't feel safe walking to the hotel at night. The nearby park has shady people hanging about, yelling at each other late into the night. We were never threatened personally but we did see one aboriginal guy in the park get punched in the gut by two teens (also aboriginal) who then took off running.

Overall we had a good stay in Cairns, but if I had to do it over, I'd look for a hotel closer to the Esplanade even if it cost a bit more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Corey B
City_Sheridan_Motel, Owner at Cairns City Sheridan, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Hello Corey,

I appreciate the detail and honesty of your review, this helps all of us here to make sure we are heading in the right direction in the future.

These days I understand that pricing is a very important subject, we are not in the greatest location in Cairns, 15 minutes to the City Centre can be a distance for some, we do price our motel to make sure this becomes a fair trade off.

Free Wireless in very important to our guests, and we have no hesitation to make sure we always offer FREE high speed internet available at all times.

All our rooms are spacious and clean, we do not like putting anything in the rooms that could clog up space, or become dirty. All our rooms are inspected daily, and having the cleanest rooms in Cairns is our goal.

Due to the motel not having access to an elevator i understand having heavy luggage can be a concern. All our staff are informed and have no problems in helping with helping you and your Luggage, again I feel that we have priced to make sure that value is still very high.

Electrical Outlets in the rooms i understand these days is important, much more than they where 15 years ago, due to phone, laptops, ipads, and the rest of electrical equipment our guests use. I have made note of this due to your review, and will be looking to install more power outlets in guest rooms.

I have located the safe that you made mention of and have replaced it, thank you for mentioning.

I agree with you as for our climate bugs and ants are not shy, due to the Cairns humidity over the wet months of December through to February they do not mind appearing in guests room for cooler conditions, I have spoken to house keeping regarding this, and with a few ideas in mind, we hope you will not have any further problems.

Regarding our location, all motels under the 4 star catorgoy is located on sheridan street, this is the main road in cairns that leads to the airport (5 minutes) and through to the city (1 minute), as for walking we are 5 minutes from the Ocean water front that has a great boardwalk that leads into city center, (a further 10 minute walk). these streets are well populated, and have very good lighting, Like anywhere there are some streets that are better not to be explored at night, I have spoke to the staff regarding this, and have pointed out the better walking locations that should be passed onto our guests for certain times of day.

From all of us here at the Best Western City Sheridan, we again very much appreciate your time in sending a review, and I hope that i was able to manage the responses for the good, and the bad, in an accepted way.

Look forward to accommodating you again.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I booked into this hotel for 3 nights in Cairns. I was firstly disappointed with the location being quite far out, it was fine to walk during the day but not at night as a female travelling alone (I had to waste money on cabs). The hotel does not have lifts which in this day and age is primitive. Having said that, the lady at the desk was very helpful and carried my case up the stairs to my room. The room was very basic, the mattress hard and uncomfortable, the safe full of rust and looking several decades old, a noisy AC unit, a dirty streak on the mirror in the bedroom which was never attended to and stationery that consisted of simply lined paper with no letterhead or mention of the hotel name! It was a vastly lower standard to the Best Western I stayed at in Melbourne. The worst problem though was the ants. The bedside table was full of ants and the clock radio full of dust. Ants seemed to appear everywhere including the bathroom, on the floor and even on the bed so that I was too afraid to sleep. I even found one in my laptop which had been closed!When I reported the problem, I was told that they are a general problem in the area, but not harmful in any way. However, one would think that with all the reports of ants, they would attempt to do something about the problem. After tolerating 2 nights at this place, I checked out, and into the Holiday Inn which was a far superior hotel, with not a single ant in the room or bathroom. This experience put me off Best Western altogether that I cancelled the reservation I had in Brisbane.

Room Tip: I would advise travellers to avoid this hotel unless your standards are lower than mine.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank frequentflyer186338
City_Sheridan_Motel, Owner at Cairns City Sheridan, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hello,

Thank you very much for your response regarding your stay with us. First of all I thank you for mentioning the help of our staff with your cases to your room, I understand that an elevator would of suited your needs, but as we do not have one, all our staff are always welcoming in carrying your cases up 8 steps, (1 level).
Cairns is a very tropical climate like no wear else in Australia, and maybe even most tourist locations in the world, All our rooms are professionally cleaned daily, and inspected by a supervisor, but one thing we can not help with is that if any meals, or drinks are consumed in the rooms, and left out, ants will appear, we do advise all guests that if anything is consumed in their rooms, that you throw out the rubbish, as this does attract ants.
Regarding your bed, we have storage of brand new mattresses, always happy to replace them when requested.
I thank you for your review.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have travelled extensively both for business and pleasure. Best Western Sheridan had the most helpful and friendly staff and the food was fantastic. Ashley, the manager was always on hand to assist. Personable, friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable. The AC worked well for us. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for excellent and friendly service for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Angelgabie,

From all of us here at the Best Western City Sheridan, we thank you for taking your time in giving us a review, bad or good they all help.

Happy and Helpful staff is very important, and we appreciate your comments.

We are very proud of our restaurant "Sheridan Bar & Grill", and we are delighted that you chose to dine with us, it is regarded as one of the best restaurants in town, and any feedback in making sure we keep to high standards is appreciated.

Again, I thank you very much.

Guangzhou
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed with my husband for 3 nights. It's in the town of Cairnes. The room and furniture is simple but clean. Bath room is a bit small, but acceptable considering the price.

There is a convenience store (in the gas station) just 100 meters from the hotel. It'll take about 15-min walk to the dining/shopping area near beach.

A plus is the restaurant in the hotel, though small, very conformatable and the food is deliciou!

The hotel can book shuttle for you from/to airport, but better leave buffer when you book the time to airport (the shuttle may be late because they are collecting customers around the town).

I also booked the quicksliver cruise through the hotel, very convenient.

The minus is air-conditioning in the room, it's quite noisy.

Overall, it's a value choice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,

From all of us here at the Best Western City Sheridan, we thank you for your great feedback.

We take great pride in keeping all our rooms as clean as possible, and making sure they are comfortable for our guests. To help us do this we feel less items in the room is better, we do not clog the rooms up with items or furnishing that is not needed.

We have worked hard to make our restaurant a top choice in Cairns. Sheridan Bar & Grill is ranked well amongst other restaurants, and your feedback is much apprecaited,

Like you have mentioned, we can organise all the tours that Cairns has to offer through our tour desk, it makes it much easier for the tour company, and the guest.

Again, thank you for taking your time in giving us a review,