“Crowne Plaza is an ancient unclean dump.”

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Peregian Beach, Australia
“Crowne Plaza is an ancient unclean dump.”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The Crown Plaza is old, the rooms dirty and furniture you wouldn’t by from an Op-Shop. I booked a Superior Twin Ocean View room with balcony for my wife and I. When we arrived we were kept waiting for about 15 minutes while both receptionists dealt with one person. When we walked into our room we were shocked at how knocked about the furniture and fixtures were. Scrapes, cracks and marks as well as dirty stains on chairs etc. Faded old carpet and filthy windows. There wasn’t even a bedside table on my side of the bed. The room which was supposed to face the ocean actually faced the Gold Coast HWY and construction works. When we phoned reception to ask for an upgrade we were abruptly told all the rooms were the same so we couldn’t upgrade however they would move us to the east side of the building so we could have the promised ocean view. A Bell Boy was sent up to our room with new swipe keys. He simply passed them to my wife and disappeared leaving us with our considerable amount of baggage to take to the lift down the hall and then go 4 floors below to lug our gear to the new room which was in similar condition to the first. The balcony was so narrow you could not squeeze past the cheap plastic chairs. Another thing was that there was not even a plate for you to put a cup on or place some food on. My wife and I have travelled quite a bit here and O/S and never have we stayed in an international hotel in such poor condition. The Crowne Plaza is in desperate need of a massive overhall including it's dilapidated salmon pink exterior. I could go on but suffice to say “be warned”. Do not fall for the blurb on their web site and don’t be fooled by the photos either. Just give it a huge miss. There are other lovely hotels in a lot better locations than the Crowne Plaza which isn’t within walking distance to anything but the Gold Coast HWY road works.

Room Tip: There arent any good rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lindsaydavid
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Many thanks for your review and I am most sorry that you encountered so many issues during your visit. These certainly do not reflect the high standards of service and cleanliness which we aspire to. Please rest assured I have followed up on your comments directly with the appropriate departments within the hotel, in order to ensure our future guests enjoy the the same type of stay which is reflected in the majority of our Trip Advisor comments.
David Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Was lucky enough to book a mystery deal on wotif.com and find myself with a room at the Crowne Plaza at a dirt cheap price! My room was spotlessly clean and comfortable, a balcony to die for with fantastic views and impeccable service from the minute I walked in the door until the minute I left from reception, restaurants and concierge. The bed was very comfortable as well. I can't wait to stay again it is a must on my next trip! Only slight negative is that the hotel is not in the heart of surfers but that also meant less noise :-)

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank planningnextholiday
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The rooms were relatively spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom had a huge spa bathtub. The service was not as efficient as I expected, however, staff were always willing to help out wherever possible. Overall it was beyond great value for money as hotels are generally quite pricey on the Gold Coast. The location wasn't nearly as great - neither in the central Surfers' area nor right on the beach, but it is close enough. I'd definitely recommend Crowne Plaza for families.

Room Tip: 1604 had a great view of both the ocean and the river.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bcctrxlstrng
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed here for the couple of days pre Christmas (& to the kids delight, Santa found us there) and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were large and clean and the beds and pillows were so comfortable. The free parking was great and easy to navigate and the staff were pleasant. The only downside for us, was the mini bar, chocolates and chips were far too accessible for our kids (not really a kids hotel though). Would stay again and definately recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Friendly staff. Room was ready at 11 am. Nice Foyer. Great pool area. Room was average with older style furniture and must have had a smoker prior to us. About a 45 minute walk to main surfers strip. Didn't try restaurant but was fairly busy. Great hotel if you're on a budget

• Stayed January 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed at Crowne Plaza for the third time for a couple of nights with my family. was pretty disappointed when we arrived at our room, the glass windows/doors facing the ocean were absolutely filthy, the carpet also needed a good vacuum. The other times I have been there it was immaculate.

The cost to dine in room or at the rooftop restaurant was astronomical, feeding a family of 5 on the prices were out of the question, the tavern next door wasnt family friendly either. The surf club down the road is awesome though great views and great ok priced food.

I found location awesome, its not in the hussle and bussle of Surfers, but the footpaths outside were shocking. The staff were very nice.

I just wish the room was a bit nicer for the price we paid, i want to go there again but maybe I'll wait til they do some upgrades to the decor and the outside roadway.

Room Tip: Eat at the Surf Club down the road
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ryan M
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Ryan M,
Many thanks for posting your review and I wish to convey my very sincere apologies for the problems which you encountered - especially as you had not encountered similar issues during your previous visits. Please rest assured I have followed up on your comments with my team.
I certainly agree the footpaths adjacent to the hotel are in poor condition. Unfortunately this is out of our control as works associated with the Gold Coast Rapid Transit Project has meant adjacent roads and footpaths have recently been dug up in order to install new underground utility services for for the Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise precincts. Please do not hesitate to contact me next time you plan to visit the Gold Coast and I will do my utmost to ensure you have a more pleasant stay.
David Brown
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Great hotel just enough away from the sleaze of Surfers, but close enough for restaurants etc right on the border of Broadbeach. Great pools, fantastic breakfasts rooms are a bit tired, but functional. Would definately recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the gold tower.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple