“Superb view...shame about the old decor and the smoking”

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Breakfree Penninsula.

The best thing about this complex is the spectacular view from the balcony. Incredible!!

The tv channels offered excellent choice and the rooms where spacious with everything you need for a self catering stay.

We were disappointed however about the cleanliness of the apartment and the really old shabby decor - felt we had stepped back into the olden days. Cupboards etc were dusty/dirty and some even padlocked or screwed closed which we thought a bit weird! Definitely in need of major updating.

The worst thing about our stay was the fact our corridor and therefore room smelt really really bad of cigarette smoke. In this day in age you don't expect to have a strong smoke smell inside the building. Really disappointing.

For these two reasons we regret to say we would not stay in this complex again although the views are hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask if there are non smoking floors available if you don't like to smell bad.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christine g
Adil1, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Christine G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I have noted your comments about the decor and cleanliness of the apartment allocated for your booking. I will forward your concerns to our Housekeeping Supervisor for necessary action. I will also be contacting the owner of the apartment to discuss refurbishment of their apartment as suggested by you.

I have forwarded your comments about the smoke smell to the Body Corporate Caretaker to investigate further.

I would like to invite you back to Breakfree Peninsula and will ensure that you will have no cause for complaints at all. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are visiting the Gold Coast again.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

stayed for 6 nights in very nice unit (D). has all amenities you want and close to the centre with beachfront views and very good service,highly recommended

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tmjj
Adil1, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear tmjj,

Thank you for your brief feedback about your recent stay at Breakfree Peninsula.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and was well satisfied with our apartments, the location and our service.

I look forward to seeing you again at Breakfree Peninsula on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

The Peninsula is exceptionally well located across the road from a patrolled beach, the apartments are exceptionally spacious, there both outdoor pools as well an indoor pool with spa when the weather is 'unkind'. You are close enough to Cavill Ave to walk, but far enough away to avoid the noise and the hoons.

Room Tip: Some rooms have recently been renovated by the owners - ask for a renovated room and any room higher...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Adil1, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Brachot,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Breakfree Peninsula.

I am glad that you found our location to the beach and local attractions convenient. Our apartments are spacious with breathtaking ocean views and I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Breakfree Peninsula on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We had our daughters first birthday planned in The Gold Coast and we stayed here. to begin the the staff was exceptionally helpfull and understanding. the rooms were very tidy and clean. the supplies were upto date and we have a very nice view of the beach from the room. I would recommend this to anyone who is travelling to Surfers. The generall manager is a very nice, helpfull, polite and approachable individual. The most importantly the prices were quiet economical and we definitely enjoyed our stay. thanks again to the team @ Breakfree peninsula.

Dear Vishvyas,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I am very happy to hear that we were able to assist in providing you and your famliy with a memorable holiday. Your feedback about the standard and cleanliness of our apartments and our friendly staff is motivating. I will pass on your feedback to our team.

Guest feedback is an important yardstick which helps us to maintain and improve our standards as well as meet and exceed guest expectations. I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations on all counts.

Thank you for recommending us. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Breakfree Peninsula in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Having stayed in Breakfree peninsula surfers paradise for a short break in the luxury deluxe 2 bedroom apartment , We were very happy with the top quality and clean apartment we have been given. The view is magnificent !! The straight coastline of Gold Coast just sit in front of you.
The pros of this apartment are close to beach ( about 50m) , close to Cavil avenue , close to eating places , superb view
The cons is the apartment facilities a bit old and small indoor pool but heated though. The air conditioner in the Master room was faulty
Overall very pleasant and happy stay. rate 8/10 , i guess sometime is depend on the room you have too but will surely return .

Room Tip: Higher floor and if possible try the deluxe room with a bit extra cost .
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Happytraveller99966,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Breakfree Peninsula.

I am delighted to hear that you were very happy with our spacious and clean two bedroom Deluxe apartment with expansive ocean views. I have noted your comment about the faulty airconditioner in the main bedroom and corrective action has been taken accordingly.

I look foward to welcoming you and your family back at Breakfree Peninsula on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I recently stayed a the Breakfree Peninsula for a family holiday with my family. There were five of us and we booked a 2-bedroom deluxe unit. The deluxe units are presented as a step up from the basic 2 bedroom units. We decided to spend the extra money and get some extra luxury and quality. Bad idea.
There was nothing deluxe about the unit we stayed in. The furniture was worn and dirty. The lounge suite had a big tear in the fabric. There were no carpets or even mats or rugs on the floors. There were no pictures or art in the walls. The aluminium window frames were corroding badly.
Yes, we did have a sea view, which was nice, and the unit was spacious enough for a family of 5, with the benefit of two bathrooms, but nothing deluxe about the accommodation. In fact quite disappointing.
I didn't raise this with the resort manager because what is the point - the unit is owned by an investor and rented out to guests. We weren't going to be moved.
I should say the resort management generally are very professional, courteous and helpful and should be commended.
If I was to recommend the Peninsula to my friends it would be with the caveat of 'don't expect too much, accommodation is NOT luxurious, but will suit those with lower expectations or used to budget or mid range accommodation. Certainly not luxury or top end accommodation.
Will I come back to the Peninsula again - no.

Pros:
Spacious unit that comfortably sleeps a young family of 5.
Just far enough outside the centre if Surfers to get away from the sleaze that inhabits the nightclubs and strip joints around Caville, but at the same time walking distance to most things.
There were no unruly noisy guests spoiling our trip. Mostly nice and quiet at night
Choice of 2 pools, indoor and out.
Professional management
Nice sea views

Cons:
Building works going on with loud drilling and hammering during the day
Building looks and feels old inside - elevators and carpets are dated and the lobbies have a musty feel and smell
Deluxe units are really plain - think twice before choosing these - maybe if only for the air con if visiting during warmer months

In summary the Peninsula deserves to be in about the middle third of accommodations in Surfers.

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing. Forget about 'deluxe rooms' unless you need the aircon
2  Thank DocM-Melbourne

Dear Melbournetraveller18,

Our two bedroom Deluxe apartments are fully refubished apartments with guaranteed ocean views and airconditioning. I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated. I would have appreciated if you had raised your concerns during your stay so that the same could have been addressed on the spot.

I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in Surfers 18 months ago in the very ordinary Gold Coast International Hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by this spacious, well equiped apartment. The views from the large balcony were of the ocean, it was clean and the beds were comfortable. An easy 4/5, and would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2012
Adil1, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Mylordflasheart,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our apartment to be spacious, clean and comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Breakfree Peninsula on your next stay.